New NASCAR and Cup Series logos

cajunaggie08

The NASCAR logo is a nice clean evolution. The Monster Energy Cup Series is just a sad state of affairs. Not just the logo but the entire name. Shows how far Nascar has fallen. I mean the logo in particular they couldn't even create a unified logo for it? They basically tacked on NASCAR to the existing Monster logo rather than creating something new.

41 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

The NASCAR logo is a nice clean evolution. The Monster Energy Cup Series is just a sad state of affairs. Not just the logo but the entire name. Shows how far Nascar has fallen. I mean the logo in particular they couldn't even create a unified logo for it? They basically tacked on NASCAR to the existing Monster logo rather than creating something new.

That's probably because it's such a short time period between now and the beginning of the season. I think for NASCAR to keep the Cup as part of the name, they had to tack on "NASCAR" because Monster already has the Monster Energy Cup for Supercross.

I mean I think everyone at this point knows NASCAR isn't in the same state they were 10-15 years ago when tracks had attendances well over 100,000 people. A refresh is a good thing and they did well with the new logo. Feels modern but classic at the same time. The Monster logo is fine too. The logos they usually have basically all have the same shape and I welcome something different from the norm.

10 hours ago, SCL said:

Thought it had been awhile since I'd heard about NASCAR, the name change indicates it must be struggling?

Its attendance and tv numbers are down from its peak 15 years ago, but its still bringing in tons of money and decent ratings. All of motorsports are declining in viewers, but NASCAR is still the top league in North America by far when compard to Indycar or sportscar racing. Sprint had a new CEO take over and he decided the company didn't need to sponsor the series anymore so NASCAR had to go out and find a new title sponsor.

3 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Its attendance and tv numbers are down from its peak 15 years ago, but its still bringing in tons of money and decent ratings. All of motorsports are declining in viewers, but NASCAR is still the top league in North America by far when compard to Indycar or sportscar racing. Sprint had a new CEO take over and he decided the company didn't need to sponsor the series anymore so NASCAR had to go out and find a new title sponsor.

Still, they couldn't do better than Monster Energy drink?

6 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

There aren't too many companies since last decade's financial collapse with marketing/advertising budget to throw over $20 million/year at one sport.

Plus, they wanted a /fit/. Monster has it's hands in a lot of motorsports. They sponsor Kurt Busch, and have their logos on Mercedes helmets in F1. Not to mention all the extreme sports. Is almost like NASCAR execs want a new wave of young fans who will keep the sport healthier than the dying off good ol boys.

I riffed on the logo on twitter last night. I think the new NASCAR logo is great, really refreshing and a hell of a lot more dynamic than the old one. The series logo is pretty well designed for what it is, and the name is a little clunky but it played itself into a corner since Monster Energy Cup was already taken. A follower said the oval logos were a nice trend, and I whipped these up.

NASCAR SudAmerica-02.png

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

Monster Energy is essentially Coca Cola $$$ right since they are Monster's distributor?

Unless I am confused.

No it is, but you'd think they'd want to use the bigger brand name. Seems more prestigous to be the Coca-Cola Cup Series or something along those lines than the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

Just now, AstroBull21 said:

Monster Energy is essentially Coca Cola $$$ right since they are Monster's distributor?

Unless I am confused.

The sponsors that had been rumored all year included Coca-Cola, so I would say that, if that's how the deal went down, then NASCAR is indeed getting a check from Coke.

As far as the series logo, I'm not 100% sure that the graphic from Twitter will be the "series logo" itself as much as it was just thrown together for the announcement. If the logo above were scaled down to fit on a decal on the door of a car, the words would be far too small. I'm thinking/hoping that they just haven't finalized a series logo decal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get some sort of the standard oval treatment the other NASCAR series have.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

No it is, but you'd think they'd want to use the bigger brand name. Seems more prestigous to be the Coca-Cola Cup Series or something along those lines than the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

My guess is that they wanted to highlight a different brand, much like them using Mello Yello to sponsor the NHRA.

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

There were plenty of companies that wanted to be the title sponsor, monster just gave the most. Walmart was even considering it. 

Walmart, Microsoft, Samsung, Hisense, Kroger and Yum! Brands were all heavily rumored to have strong interest.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

the new NASCAR type is an improvement over the previous version. the letters are made to fit tightly next to another without large gaps, or the letters crashing into each other. but dropping the purple color and leaving the type on it's own really killed the character of the logo. yes, it looks more modern but not in a good way. it's as bland as most wordmarks we've seen over the last few years where someone selects a font, then types out the name of the thing; black and white. i wish there were something memorable and custom about the type (think ESPN or Pirelli) but it lacks anything notable and i don't think the bars make up for it. also a bit odd that this is now a truer athletic block.

RaySox is on the right path for the Monster lock up. this is a logo that will need a containing shape of some sort. it will be a nightmare to work with all those floating details. i feel like NASCAR really gave in on this deal too. there's no way the Monster logo should be 3x the size of the NASCAR Cup name. that hierarchy should be flipped. 

but this touches on the chaos that is NASCAR branding and one of the reasons they've been sliding. They do a great job of getting sponsorships to drive a lot of the funding for the sport, but NASCAR has diluted it's own brand in that process by putting an ever changing series sponsor over their own name. What they should have done after Winston dropped them is come up with an evergreen name (for example, let's just say the Nascar Grand National Series) for their series' to avoid re-starting a brand every few years. you don't see the NFL, MLB, NBA, Formula 1, Formula E, etc selling their product to the highest bidder–you'll never maintain a brand this way. (Indy is going the same way im afraid, but you can reference the equal treatment of "verizon" and indycar" in their logo) It's become such an overturning series, a lot of people now refer to it as "the premier series" or "the cup series". the value of the series sponsor is decreased , and it's exhausting trying to keep up with the proper name. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Unless I am confused.

Monster Beverage Co. is a separate company from Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola does own 17% of Monster and is their distributor, but this isn't a case of Coke using their sponsorship money to slap their brand on the series like with Mello Yello on the NHRA or with Minute Maid on the Astros stadium.

Archived