CFL in Halifax coming soon?

dcameronh

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2017 at 1:27 PM, Hoops McCann said:

Curious about other regional names that might be well-received by fans in the area.  

Atlantic xxx

Maritime xxx   ??

Acadia xxx   ??

- signed, curious ignoramus from the US 

Atlantic, Maritime, Acadia are all decent.  What I'm not sure about is whether "Triple X" is a appropriate name for Halifax or any other city for that matter...  :P

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

On 12/16/2017 at 1:53 PM, SHaMROCK said:

Atlantic, Maritime, Acadia are all decent.  What I'm not sure about is whether "Triple X" is a appropriate name for Halifax or any other city for that matter...  :P

Am I the only one who still thinks they should be the "Halifax" or at least "Nova Scotia" (insert name here)?

bYhYmxh.png

8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Am I the only one who still thinks they should be the "Halifax" or at least "Nova Scotia" (insert name here)?

You are not. I get the "Atlantic" thing because of that being associated with the Atlantic Schooners name (and I can live with that) but I'd rather just see the Halifax Schooners. Done. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I prefer Maritime to Atlantic, but I can see why they would not want to limit it to Halifax or Nova Scotia.  They will be the only team in the entire region and they need to draw from further afield than Nova Scotia to be viable.  And with a name like Schooners, both Atlantic and Maritime works pretty well.  

I would second the hope that they would upgrade to a more dynamic and modern logo than the original one proposed, and they need a unique color scheme.  Avoid not only Red + Black (obviously) but also avoid double blue (Toronto), blue & gold (Winnipeg).

i would recommend they consider a Hartford Whaler scheme (Kelly, Navy or Royal and Silver/Grey).  I hesitate to recommend teal/aqua, just because it is such a warm-weather color.  Another option would be orange (ship) and navy (water) with small amounts of either teal or sky blue as accent. 

We need to have a concept contest for this. 

39 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I prefer Maritime to Atlantic, but I can see why they would not want to limit it to Halifax or Nova Scotia.  They will be the only team in the entire region and they need to draw from further afield than Nova Scotia to be viable.  And with a name like Schooners, both Atlantic and Maritime works pretty well.  

I would second the hope that they would upgrade to a more dynamic and modern logo than the original one proposed, and they need a unique color scheme.  Avoid not only Red + Black (obviously) but also avoid double blue (Toronto), blue & gold (Winnipeg).

i would recommend they consider a Hartford Whaler scheme (Kelly, Navy or Royal and Silver/Grey).  I hesitate to recommend teal/aqua, just because it is such a warm-weather color.  Another option would be orange (ship) and navy (water) with small amounts of either teal or sky blue as accent. 

We need to have a concept contest for this. 

There's the possibility that, if the city or provincial government approves funding for a new stadium, they may require the team to be called the "Halifax" or "Nova Scotia" (name here)...something to make sure the city doesn't feel left out for the money they spend.

bYhYmxh.png

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

While I understand where you are coming from, personally, I don't think it will make a difference.

Call them "Atlantic", "Nova Scotia" or, "Halifax". Either way, I'm sure that the name is one of the least important factors in drawing attendance. 

I lived in Brampton, Ont almost all my life. That didn't deter me from going to Toronto FC games. Or, because the distance is further, Buffalo Bills games. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 12/18/2017 at 2:36 AM, MBurmy said:

No, I think there are three prior pages of this thread where I'm arguing that it should be Halifax. What kind of dolt gets his feelings hurt because he lives in Fredericton but the team playing in Halifax calls itself Halifax? Just go to the game! Beats driving to Montreal! (Incidentally, Halifax is one of Canada's "regional municipalities" where the city government gobbled up as many suburbs and outlying areas as it could. By area, something like half of Nova Scotia is considered Halifax. So there's something funny about the idea of alienating people with the name of a city when said city has already declared itself to be like seven or eight other cities.)

21 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Nova Scotia Scots

That reminds me, I liked the hockey concept for the "Halifax Highlanders" that neglected the obvious fact that Halifax, a prominent port city, is AT SEA LEVEL

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nova Scotia actually doesn’t have that much Scottish heritage. At least not compared to any other British colony founded at the time. 

The decision to play up Nova Scotia’s “unique” Scottish identity was made in the 1930s as a means to increase tourism. 

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I just figure the Maritimes are all super English/Scottish/Irish, and then Newfoundland is...well, 

They are.  The Celtic stuff really becomes big when you cross into Cape Breton but it's still very much present in the rest of Nova Scotia especially some small towns and rural areas.   Lots of Acadian French as well in certain spots.  And as you said Newfoundland is on a whole other level.  

zzPEfBm.png

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I love when seaside towns have brightly painted buildings like St. John's does.

jelly-bean-row-downtown-st-johns.jpg

Seems to be a very North Atlantic thing, see also Greenland:

Ilulissat+town.+base+camp+for+half+of+my

There was logic behind it, the idea was that it made it easier to see the shore through inclement weather but it's just look so cool, doesn't it?

I've been to St. John's a number of times, staying at the Delta right beside the Mile One Centre and I always ask for a room looking north-west to get the view of all the houses. 

Archived