XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

A lot of what makes NFL as popular as it's become in recent years is fantasy football, gambling, and the red-zone channels that cater to those fans.  XFL won't have any of that going for it, so they're going to need to be creative and find other ways to draw in viewers that have increasingly diminishing attention spans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

A lot of what makes NFL as popular as it's become in recent years is fantasy football, gambling, and the red-zone channels that cater to those fans.  XFL won't have any of that going for it, so they're going to need to be creative and find other ways to draw in viewers that have increasingly diminishing attention spans.

Exactly.  And ironically enough, I think the red-zone channels are partly to blame for the NFL's softening ratings.  The NFL is cannibalizing its own numbers to a degree, shifting their viewers away from traditional television models but not necessarily losing them altogether.

That's why I think it's kind of foolish to look at those softening ratings as an opportunity for the XFL to pull away viewers.  

28 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  And ironically enough, I think the red-zone channels are partly to blame for the NFL's softening ratings.  The NFL is cannibalizing its own numbers to a degree, shifting their viewers away from traditional television models but not necessarily losing them altogether.

That's why I think it's kind of foolish to look at those softening ratings as an opportunity for the XFL to pull away viewers.  

Correct, I for one only watch playoff games and super bowl. regular season? red zone and nothing else....and I know I’m not alone in that. I mean I watch goal line for college football heck even during the college baseball playoffs, ESPN has this “bases loaded” channel, this type of presentation for sports is what the market will shift to IMO.

1 minute ago, lilben777 said:

this type of presentation for sports is what the market will shift to IMO.

Especially for football, which has small burst of action interspersed with long periods of waiting.

Baseball, at least, has a more consistent rhythm to it.  And they're still working to pick up the pace, while NFL games seem to get longer and longer.  No wonder its consumers are turning to things like the Red Zone.

Maybe I documented it as well in the liveblog thread but when the whole "is he a runner or receiver?" debate was burbling on, I yelled "THIS IS THE DUMBEST SPORT!" at the top of my lungs. There just can't be much more of this nonsense. Read David Roth's latest for The Baffler if you haven't already; it's a fantastic takedown of the NFL that really deserves its own thread in my opinion:

There is a door that opens while watching a bad NFL game on TV, a gateway into something very much like an out-of-body experience. It’s not an especially desirable out-of-body experience, to be sure, but there’s something about being subjected to a NFL game at its worst that grants even the most devout fans the opportunity to see how football looks to people who absolutely hate football. Witness enough off-tackle plunges for one-yard gains, then watch as they are negated by offsetting penalties, and something reveals itself, even to those of us who enjoy the game.

It is not pretty. The grunting, juddering, anti-flow of the broader game, the rote brutality and steak-headed backwardness of the action at the play-by-play level, the sudden blundering intrusion of all those honking commercials—for achingly sincere domestic macro-pilsners, for strapping trucks and their loud and swaggering drive-train warranties, for extremely emotional insurance companies and also weirdly ironic insurance companies—at every stoppage of play. In the most basic sense this is just what the average NFL game is, but more worrying for the lords of the league, it is also a description of what is an objectively not-great television show—one with the queasy pacing of rush-hour traffic, the jarring violence of a car accident, and the fuddy legalism of traffic court, and that somehow manages to be three hours long.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Vince it tying directly into these things:  there will be an XFL fantasy element involved, self-run or farmed out through a service, but one will be there.  There will be a RedZone equivalent of some type, but with only 8 teams it's hard to say how that'd work; the end result could just be airing two entire games side-by-side intead.  Who knows?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see little jeep-like carts rigged with video cameras going down the sidelines with every play, covering receivers to provide an angle never before seen.  A GoPro strapped to a defensive pass rusher's facemask.  Getting rid of field goals and extra points altogether.  Maybe getting rid of punts while he's at it.  Who Knows?

nav-logo.png

10 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Vince it tying directly into these things:  there will be an XFL fantasy element involved, self-run or farmed out through a service, but one will be there.  There will be a RedZone equivalent of some type, but with only 8 teams it's hard to say how that'd work; the end result could just be airing two entire games side-by-side intead.  Who knows?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see little jeep-like carts rigged with video cameras going down the sidelines with every play, covering receivers to provide an angle never before seen.  A GoPro strapped to a defensive pass rusher's facemask.  Getting rid of field goals and extra points altogether.  Maybe getting rid of punts while he's at it.  Who Knows?

Did he say anything about these things or are you making assumptions?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

13 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Correct, I for one only watch playoff games and super bowl. regular season? red zone and nothing else....and I know I’m not alone in that. I mean I watch goal line for college football heck even during the college baseball playoffs, ESPN has this “bases loaded” channel, this type of presentation for sports is what the market will shift to IMO.

Add my son and I to the list.  Unless the Ravens are on, we watch RedZone almost exclusively . . . and when the Ravens are on, we switch to RedZone during every commercial break.

For the record, I'm much better at timing the return to the Ravens game . . . in large part, because he is usually also tweeting, texting with friends and/or monitoring his fantasy team(s). 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Did he say anything about these things or are you making assumptions?

Just assumptions, made based on technologies I've seen deployed elsewhere (but not on American football fields).  The only one of those which would surprise me would be eliminating punts; all the others have been done either in other sports, in the Pro Bowl, or in some means which could be easily translatable to the XFL.

nav-logo.png

Nobody is going to do fantasy xfl, at least not for several years. It’s too impossible to have any idea who is good and who isn’t, as well as understand the year to year changes. NFL is relatively predictable (guys who are good stay good, you know for the most part which teams will be good and which bad)

16 hours ago, lilben777 said:

I dropped NFL ticket because they upped the price this year and told DirectTV that if they had the option of just Red Zone I'd have bought that instead. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nobody is going to do fantasy xfl, at least not for several years. It’s too impossible to have any idea who is good and who isn’t, as well as understand the year to year changes. NFL is relatively predictable (guys who are good stay good, you know for the most part which teams will be good and which bad)

Are you kidding?  This very board has a fantasy lacrosse league, fer Chrissakes.  Fantasy XFL will be a serious revenue stream for them; something they couldn't have even contemplated 20 years ago.

nav-logo.png

4 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Are you kidding?  This very board has a fantasy lacrosse league, fer Chrissakes.  Fantasy XFL will be a serious revenue stream for them; something they couldn't have even contemplated 20 years ago.

they actually did have FantasyXFL. I even played it and came in second place. It was strictly head to head each week though, so no championship games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Add my son and I to the list.  Unless the Ravens are on, we watch RedZone almost exclusively . . . and when the Ravens are on, we switch to RedZone during every commercial break.

For the record, I'm much better at timing the return to the Ravens game . . . in large part, because he is usually also tweeting, texting with friends and/or monitoring his fantasy team(s). 

You guys need to get with the program! This is how I watch! 

9qFAzIQ.jpg

iq5b7nF.png

43 minutes ago, jc... said:

You guys need to get with the program! This is how I watch! 

9qFAzIQ.jpg

Impressive!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

You’ll have to first show that this fantasy lacrosse league is a serious revenue stream.

There are plenty of people who post concept designs on boards like this, after all.  Doesn’t mean there’s real money in it. 

Archived