11 hours ago, Needschat said:

The usuals will be in the league

NY/NJ - Red Bull Arena

LA - Banc of California Stadium (LAFC)

Chicago - Toyota Park

Memphis

Birmingham

Orlando

The last two, between Columbus (Crew Stadium), Dallas (Toyota Stadium), San Jose (Avaya Stadium), Portland (Providence Park), Hartford, and Toronto (BMO Field)

Hopefully not Dallas.  It's an oversaturated market and would get zero coverage. 

13 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I also wonder if the New XFL could adopt a traveling gimmick like the 3-on-3 basketball league to start year 1.  Have 8 teams and try out prospective markets to see what sticks, then assign the teams for Year 2

I'd think if they do that, then giving them city names needs to be dropped. A big issue becomes housing that many players at once in a single area. That does bring about an interesting idea, would they be willing to host the Big 3 or some sort of X Games type event in the same space? If they were at StubHub the tennis court behind the field could host Big 3 games. A larger stadium that is using lower tier seating only could set an area of the parking lot off for extreme sport competitions to kind of bring in extra people that wouldn't pay $15 to go to a football game but would to watch other types of sports or entertainment. The old Spring Professional Football League tried this but their advertising was almost non existent. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Agreed, if in Texas its likely San Antonio

In Dallas it goes (in this order): Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, College Sports, High School sports, FC Dallas and Dallas Wings and sometimes a feel good story about a youth athlete will usurp FC Dallas or the Wings.  Sometimes, Rangers or Stars get usurped by college/high school sports if it's a feel good story.  A Dallas XFL team would get as much coverage as the Wings, who get zero coverage as it is. 

Does centralized ownership result in less of a bond between city and team, since the owners aren’t locally based and the league can more easily make the decision to relocate a struggling franchise because they don’t have as much invested in the host city? Who makes decisions regarding hiring a front office, coach, etc?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, Brass said:

Throw a team in Cleveland.

Columbus may have an empty soccer stadium by 2020. 

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I also wonder if the New XFL could adopt a traveling gimmick like the 3-on-3 basketball league to start year 1.  Have 8 teams and try out prospective markets to see what sticks, then assign the teams for Year 2

I was thinking about this too. Start small and slow and don't try to turn a profit in year one. Try to turn a profit in year 5. start out with 6 teams in mid-sized southern markets that don't have a lot going on. If it works then you branch out to larger markets in the next few years. If it doesn't work then you won't have a huge mess or huge losses. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'm far from an Ohioan (I visited Cleveland once) but would a successful team in Columbus be able to draw disheartened Browns and Bengals fans? 

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Just now, Brass said:

I'm far from an Ohioan (I visited Cleveland once) but would a successful team in Columbus be able to draw disheartened Browns and Bengals fans? 

It may draw disheartened Crew fans. There's lot of Bengals and Browns and Steelers fans who live in Columbus. I think, oddly, the biggest hurdle would be the million Ohio State fans who don't know there's sports besides Ohio State football. 

The Columbus XFL team would have a 20,000 seat vacant stadium to play in, though!

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I was thinking about this too. Start small and slow and don't try to turn a profit in year one. Try to turn a profit in year 5. start out with 6 teams in mid-sized southern markets that don't have a lot going on. If it works then you branch out to larger markets in the next few years. If it doesn't work then you won't have a huge mess or huge losses. 

Thats what the NBADL did in the early days right?  Look where they are now.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Does centralized ownership result in less of a bond between city and team, since the owners aren’t locally based and the league can more easily make the decision to relocate a struggling franchise because they don’t have as much invested in the host city? Who makes decisions regarding hiring a front office, coach, etc?

It's the same as MLS, only without the figurehead ownership groups locally. It'll just be the GM and everyone else. I'm sure the league office will handle hiring and firing of them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Thats what the NBADL did in the early days right?  Look where they are now.

Yes exactly. I was thinking of the wrestling model too. There used to be a bunch of different wrestling organizations that all serviced their specific niche region until WWF bought them and consolidated into one big massive entity. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

6 teams in the South could be:

Orlando

Memphis

Birmingham

Raleigh

Norfolk/Virginia Beach

Louisville???

15 hours ago, Needschat said:

The usuals will be in the league

NY/NJ - Red Bull Arena

LA - Banc of California Stadium (LAFC)

Chicago - Toyota Park

Memphis

Birmingham

Orlando

The last two, between Columbus (Crew Stadium), Dallas (Toyota Stadium), San Jose (Avaya Stadium), Portland (Providence Park), Hartford, and Toronto (BMO Field)

I think it'd look something like ...

NY/NJ - Red Bull Arena

LA - Banc of California Stadium or StubHub Center

Chicago - Toyota Park

Philadelphia - Talon Energy Stadium

San Jose - Avaya Stadium

Portland - Providence Park

San Antonio - Alamodome

Orlando - Camping World Stadium or Orlando City Stadium

I think you're going to see them stick to primarily MLS stadiums - 20-25,000 seat capacity. San Antonio would be the exception, but if needs be they can tarp half of the seats.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

39 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's the same as MLS, only without the figurehead ownership groups locally. It'll just be the GM and everyone else. I'm sure the league office will handle hiring and firing of them.

MLS ownership groups aren't figureheads.  Individual owners still control player movement, they just have to do so in a more restrictive environment than other sports.  And as far as Vet's question, those same local owners control how the clubs relate to their community - advertising, partners, community outreach and the like.  MLS owners control all those things, and can be responsive at a local level.

3 minutes ago, Wings said:

Red Bulls don't want American football played at Red Bull Arena. I can see other MLS teams feeling the same way. 

If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees bought into a club to have them play at Yankee Stadium or a new NYFC field?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

16 minutes ago, kimball said:

If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees bought into a club to have them play at Yankee Stadium or a new NYFC field?

They want NYCFC to have their own stadium. The issue ahs been finding one in the right location, inside the five boroughs.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

MLS ownership groups aren't figureheads.  Individual owners still control player movement, they just have to do so in a more restrictive environment than other sports.  And as far as Vet's question, those same local owners control how the clubs relate to their community - advertising, partners, community outreach and the like.  MLS owners control all those things, and can be responsive at a local level.

But who decides if/when a team relocates?  Could a team be doing pretty well, but then the league board just decide that they want to be in another market and decide to move it?  I guess I don't get how you have "owners" if the teams are owned by the league and are basically just "departments" or "cost centers".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived