Outlandish yet restrained designs

Bob5151

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/23/2017 at 8:52 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

The only thing that ruined those uniforms is the helmet logo.  I get that thunder is a hard thing to draw, since it's not actually a physical thing, but there has to be something better than that.  At least make it look less like a child drew it with crayons.

Those uniforms and helmets were some of the best. You want to criticize a logo? Check out the current Tampa Bay Lightning, a bolt with a circle; now that one looks like a child drew it!

I like how everyone is embracing these teams that think outside the box with their uni designs. My first forum as a sports logo enthusiast was a place called Fanhome. They were nothing but snooty gatekeepers who would launch a barrage of puke emojis at any concept art or any logo news that dared deviate from what they called "tradition," and I’m glad that attitude has long-since died off.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, BigRed618 said:

They were nothing but snooty gatekeepers who would launch a barrage of puke emojis at any concept art or any logo news that dared deviate from what they called "tradition," and I’m glad that attitude has long-since died off.

I have bad news for you.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Before all the swooshes, panels, etc. hit the NFL, the Colts changed up pant striping just enough to be innovative. Dallas also put a number on their pants in the mid 80's which added some flair but kept the integrity of the traditional pant stripe.

spacer.png

Brown, Yellow and White isn't exactly a great color scheme, but Wyoming manages to look good most of the time because they stick to traditional stripes with a little bit of flair in the western font. 

usatsi_13293964.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 10/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, ltravisjr said:

Before all the swooshes, panels, etc. hit the NFL, the Colts changed up pant striping just enough to be innovative. Dallas also put a number on their pants in the mid 80's which added some flair but kept the integrity of the traditional pant stripe.

spacer.png

Gridiron Uniform Database says the Cowboys beat the Colts to the punch by a year (which is how I remembered it).  The Cowboys added numbers to the pants worn with their updated blue jerseys in 1981, then also added them to the pants worn with their white jerseys in 1982.  The Colts added numbers to their new silver (grey?) pants in 1982, but never added them to their white pants.  The silver pants were only ever worn with their blue jersey.

Per GUD, the Packers also added numbers to their pants in 1984 (and also added their current collar and embedded their helmet logo in their sleeve stripes).  I didn't look to see if any other teams followed suit, as I don't remember anyone else doing so.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived