New Era brings back U.S.-made wool 5950s for "Retro Classic" line

Sodboy13

Because I'm so painfully old, the mid-to-late 1990s are retro now. And New Era is now selling throwbacks from the days of Spice Girls and Smash Mouth, made of wool and manufactured in the US, just like they were back then. (Well, almost. All of the caps use flat embroidery, and some of these designs were from the raised embroidery era.) They're also bringing back some of the very hit-and-miss first generation of mesh BP caps. It's apparently a Lids-exclusive line. If any of you hat geeks get your hands on one, I'd like to hear some feedback on the quality.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant tell you about quality, but the historical accuracy of some of these is awful.  As you note, a lot of these are from the raised-logo era. 

I’ve been desperate for a 1996-99 cap ever since around 2001.  But this is terrible, and I won’t buy it. 

hwl?set=sku%5B20942515%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

First of all, the colors are wrong.  The Brewers used New Era’s light navy, this is the midnight navy.  And the green isn’t green but teal. Also, this is one of those caps that should have raised embroidery (the white parts), and the logo is too big.

i have hopes they might correct this, because the new retro BP cap is actually correct.  

https://www.lids.com/milwaukee-brewers-new-era-mlb-retro-classic-batting-practice-59fifty-cap/20972825#

I was happy to see this, mostly because of the inclusion of the Twins championship-era "M" cap. Of my dozen-or-so different Twins caps, I wear my "M" cap the most and was worried they'd be out of production when it came time to buy a replacement.

Also, I still own one of those early '00s mesh Twins BP caps, but it's so worn and sweat stained that it's become my regular gym hat now. 

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Cant tell you about quality, but the historical accuracy of some of these is awful.  As you note, a lot of these are from the raised-logo era. 

I’ve been desperate for a 1996-99 cap ever since around 2001.  But this is terrible, and I won’t buy it. 

First of all, the colors are wrong.  The Brewers used New Era’s light navy, this is the midnight navy.  And the green isn’t green but teal. Also, this is one of those caps that should have raised embroidery (the white parts), and the logo is too big.

i have hopes they might correct this, because the new retro BP cap is actually correct.  

https://www.lids.com/milwaukee-brewers-new-era-mlb-retro-classic-batting-practice-59fifty-cap/20972825#

I would expect the actual product to differ. This is definitely a computer-rendered mockup. So are some of the others on Lids' page, which have logos either too small or too large or otherwise looking off. But the ones that display an actual hat seem fairly accurate.

I will note that the MLB logo on this Brewers hat is green and gold, but the actual hat I have from the original run has it in standard blue and red.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

17 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I would expect the actual product to differ. This is definitely a computer-rendered mockup. So are some of the others on Lids' page, which have logos either too small or too large or otherwise looking off. But the ones that display an actual hat seem fairly accurate.

I will note that the MLB logo on this Brewers hat is green and gold, but the actual hat I have from the original run has it in standard blue and red.

Thank you - that’s another one. 

I’ve seen the actual hat in person, and I can confirm all those problems.  The photoshop is closer to the new cap than the new cap is to the original. 

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

hwl?set=sku%5B20942515%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

I've been in search of this hat as well, along with the Motre Bame one, but I refuse to buy these because the navy is wrong.  In reality, I actually wish they'd make these retro hats using current materials.  Now that I'm used to the polyester, I really don't like the wool ones anymore.  I'd even gladly take 3930s if the colors and logos were done correctly.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Thank you - that’s another one. 

I’ve seen the actual hat in person, and I can confirm all those problems.  The photoshop is closer to the new cap than the new cap is to the original. 

Well, that's a downer.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

I've been in search of this hat as well, along with the Motre Bame one, but I refuse to buy these because the navy is wrong.  In reality, I actually wish they'd make these retro hats using current materials.  Now that I'm used to the polyester, I really don't like the wool ones anymore.  I'd even gladly take 3930s if the colors and logos were done correctly.

This.  

And I also appreciate the black sweatband, which doesn’t show the sweat. 

Those are the kind of historical inaccuracies I’d gladly overlook. 

If the Chinese poly 5950s were made with any degree of consistency in regard to sizing and quality, I'd probably be more on board with them.

22 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

If the Chinese poly 5950s were made with any degree of consistency in regard to sizing and quality, I'd probably be more on board with them.

This. I own over fifty poly 5950 but I haven't bought a single one without actually seeing and trying it. I normally need to try at least five just to find one that fits right and looks alright without any glarring problem. Expect for colors and logo accuracy issues, can anyone who's seen some retro ones in person rate their quality and sizing? New Era current standards are an absolute joke and I'm not really sold on taking a risk ordering some of these without trying any...

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

This. I own over fifty poly 5950 but I haven't bought a single one without actually seeing and trying it. I normally need to try at least five just to find one that fits right and looks alright without any glarring problem. Expect for colors and logo accuracy issues, can anyone who's seen some retro ones in person rate their quality and sizing? New Era current standards are an absolute joke and I'm not really sold on taking a risk ordering some of these without trying any...

This is why I have largely moved to the 3930. In addition to just liking the style better, the 3930 always fits me. The 5950 is a complete crap shoot. Even when I supposedly get the same size, one cap fits, one doesn't.

The US-made Low Profile 5950s seem to be more consistent, size-wise, than the high-crown Chinese-made ones.  However, as others have stated, I have to try on a half dozen before I can get one that fits right.  The 3930's, while not my first choice, at least fit consistent with the stretch sizing.

I owned this cap when it came out, and they've recreated it brilliantly.  I don't recall the color of the batterman, sadly, but the rest is perfect.

hwl?set=sku%5B20972825%5D,c%5B3%5D,w%5B8

Here's what I don't get, though - New Era is repeating a common mistake in many of their throwback caps.  Until very recently, it was uncommon (if not unheard of) for a button to match the crown than the brim.  But many of the New Era throwbacks do just that.

This is just wrong.

hwl?set=sku%5B20650938%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B8

And maybe it's a small detail, but it's a big deal.

This is what it should look like:

41772_01_lg.jpg

The cap is wrong on the mothership, too.

1392_milwaukee_brewers-cap-1994.png

I bought the Marlins all teal cap because I, for some shocking reason, didn't have already one but it has it's inaccuracies though of course virtually no one realizes it and the cap just looks great regardless. I get compliments for wearing it but I can't foresee the day some random person at the grocery store goes "hmmm, why is that F not off centered?"

13 hours ago, Quillz said:

This is why I have largely moved to the 3930. In addition to just liking the style better, the 3930 always fits me. The 5950 is a complete crap shoot. Even when I supposedly get the same size, one cap fits, one doesn't.

I actually prefer the 3930s over everything else as well but I've found even the sizing on those isn't totally consistent either.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I bought the Marlins all teal cap because I, for some shocking reason, didn't have already one but it has it's inaccuracies though of course virtually no one realizes it and the cap just looks great regardless. I get compliments for wearing it but I can't foresee the day some random person at the grocery store goes "hmmm, why is that F not off centered?"

How many have you tried (size or quality problem) before settling on the one you bought?

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I keep going back and forth on the original Marlins cap. Its a matter of absolute centering vs. relative centering. I'm still not sure which one I prefer. Obviously, centering the logo itself is "correct" relative to the other cap logos, but it always looks off to me.

Archived