International Football 2018-2019

TrueYankee26

If there's a super league, is there still the Champions League? I'm assuming teams get paid by both their domestic leagues and the Champions League. Why settle for just one?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If there's a super league, is there still the Champions League? I'm assuming teams get paid by both their domestic leagues and the Champions League. Why settle for just one?

Champions Leagues would probably fall apart if this happens unless the FA's of Italy, Spain, France, Germany and England expelled the Super League teams from all national (League, League Cup and FA Cups) competitions. The money would have to be NFL level ($150-300 million minimum, per team) for the final jump to occur because if they get paid $3 million/game for ICC they'd need way more than that for Super League games that actually mean something. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's to test the viability of a Super League with the top teams in Europe. They keep hinting at the top 20 teams breaking away ala the Premier League with the added bonus of no relegation for those members back to their domestic leagues. 

I don't think so. I saw it more as La Liga was just trying to get some extra exposure and maybe gain more ground in the overseas TV market to try and compete with the Premier League. There will hardly be any interest unless Real or Barcelona are involved, and these games wouldn't have the novelty like an NFL game does in Europe. It's probably for the best that the players (and fans) are shooting down this idea before it takes off. 

As for a "European Super League", it seems like too much of a pipe dream at this moment. I think we would see a potential expansion of the UCL (more spots for the Big 5) long before we would see the formation of a continent wide league. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

4 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

I don't think so. I saw it more as La Liga was just trying to get some extra exposure and maybe gain more ground in the overseas TV market to try and compete with the Premier League. There will hardly be any interest unless Real or Barcelona are involved, and these games wouldn't have the novelty like an NFL game does in Europe. It's probably for the best that the players (and fans) are shooting down this idea before it takes off. 

As for a "European Super League", it seems like too much of a pipe dream at this moment. I think we would see a potential expansion of the UCL (more spots for the Big 5) long before we would see the formation of a continent wide league. 

Reportedly it'll be the Real Betis vs Barca game this season.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

34 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Reportedly it'll be the Real Betis vs Barca game this season.

40,000 people will show up to see Messi do whatever, so they'll make money on that game played in Baltimore or wherever. But 40,000 people will also pay to see Messi play one half in the ICC. I'm still not getting what's in it for La Liga. People watch Real Betis in local time, and then demand FS1 pay $500M/year for broadcast rights? Not sure how that all works.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 hours ago, DG_Now said:

40,000 people will show up to see Messi do whatever, so they'll make money on that game played in Baltimore or wherever. But 40,000 people will also pay to see Messi play one half in the ICC. I'm still not getting what's in it for La Liga. People watch Real Betis in local time, and then demand FS1 pay $500M/year for broadcast rights? Not sure how that all works.

It's going to be in Miami per Charlie Stilatano. Bigger Barcelona fan group than in Baltimore. I think Steven Ross is footing part of the bill too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Liverpool looks scary... now that their defense seems sorted (they haven't really played anyone, but they are yet to concede in the league this season), and with KDB's injury they have to be the favorite. Van Dijk, at least to me, is the best central defender in world football at the moment. He's stepped up to the plate and made everyone on Liverpool's backline better since his arrival. 

4 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Liverpool isn't scary, they haven't beaten anyone ever except for Man City in the Champions League last season

Porto was an easy draw, but Roma should not be brushed aside like that. They had a very solid team last year. 

And focusing on on last year ignores the signings we made this summer. Alisson looks “the” GK for us that can solve our continuous problem at the position, Naby Keita is going to terrorize Premier League midfields, and Shaqiri finally provides a high-quality backup to Mané and Salah. 

I would still say City have to be favorites, but we look better than we’ve ever looked since I became a Liverpool fan in 2014. 

spacer.png

Champions League Group Stage Draw

Group A
Atlético Madrid
Borussia Dortmund
Monaco
Club Brugge

Group B
Barcelona
Tottenham Hotspur
PSV Eindhoven
Internazionale

Group C
PSG
Napoli
Liverpool
Red Star Belgrade

Group D
Lokomotiv Moscow
Porto
Schalke
Galatasaray

Group E
Bayern Munich
Benfica
Ajax
AEK Athens

Group F
Manchester City
Shakhtar Donetsk
Lyon
Hoffenheim

Group G
Real Madrid
AS Roma
CSKA Moscow
Viktoria Plzeň

Group H
Juventus
Manchester United
Valencia
Young Boys

Group D is painfully weak... UCL should be fun this year as the competition is pretty open. (I can see 8-9 teams having a good shot at winning) 

Some predictions though 

Group A - Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund

Group B - Barcelona, Tottenham

Group C - PSG, Liverpool

Group D - Porto, Schalke 

Group E - Bayern, Ajax

Group F - Manchester City, Lyon 

Group G - Real Madrid, Roma 

Group H - Juventus, Valencia

Europa League: Monaco, Inter, Napoli, Lokomotiv Moscow, Benfica, Shakhtar Donetsk, CSKA Moscow, Manchester United

Archived