NCAA Power 5 teams that need updating/new logos by conference

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

USC did this once before, in 1992.  It was apparently not well received among alumni and fans.

RoT_Helmet_1992.png&w=960

I always liked this helmet and logo (though I think its placement is a little off in this image)...and it more closely resembles the statue on campus.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:07 PM, AndrewMLind said:

While I would personally agree that the recent, slight modification to Ohio State’s logo — which was solely simplifying the wordmark for printing and resizing purposes — was an upgrade, most fans wouldn’t agree. In fact, most viewed it unnecessary and as if the designers simply used the MSPaint fill tool to make the change. Not to mention, there’s a large section of the fanbase that prefers the simple Block O over the athletics logo. 

I’d like to know where you’re getting this “factual” information from? Sure, I’d agree some folks think the inline type was simply “just filled in”, but if you put them side by side, the letters have been adjusted for clean legibility. Also, a white keyline strike was added to keep the colors consistant on apparel, etc. Previously, colors would change based on the garment.

39 minutes ago, Derek said:

I’d like to know where you’re getting this “factual” information from? Sure, I’d agree some folks think the inline type was simply “just filled in”, but if you put them side by side, the letters have been adjusted for clean legibility. Also, a white keyline strike was added to keep the colors consistant on apparel, etc. Previously, colors would change based on the garment.

Again, I personally agree that it was an upgrade. I’m only reiterating comments from readers of the Ohio State sites I’ve worked for, from people within the athletic department I’ve worked closely alongside, from other students during my time at the university and from people who follow me and share their thoughts on Twitter. Of course, an unofficial consensus based upon the hundreds of conversations I’ve had on the matter isn’t “factual.”

Also, the colors *do* change based on the background, per brand standards (just look at the logo on the collar of their jerseys or the application of the logos on their various social media sites).

19 hours ago, msu said:

I think these are the power conference schools that still use beveled logos. I'm not a fan. I think they would all be better off simplifying or modifying their logos.

Big 12: Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State

SEC: Texas A&M

I took a look at this some more, and each of these schools has a flat version of their logo either as a secondary mark or a vault/vintage logo. In all cases, I think the flat version is better.

BMmDnjR.png

22 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Off topic -- 

I've always found it interesting that The Ohio State University succeeds in (gets away with?) using just the block O and the script Ohio with the marching band when Ohio University exists.  I know TOSU is a much bigger school and more prominent athletically.  However, a standalone O and the word Ohio seem like they should be associated with Ohio Univ., not the school that also has "State" in its name.

I apologize in advance for any buckjacking of this thread that may occur, but this doesn't seem worthy of a separate thread.

I've always found it amusing that their most well-known chant, the O-H-I-O, could be seen as a chant for a different school. 

T1oYViW.png

15 minutes ago, selby56 said:

I've always found it amusing that their most well-known chant, the O-H-I-O, could be seen as a chant for a different school. 

Good.  It's not just me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 10/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, leopard88 said:

Off topic -- 

I've always found it interesting that The Ohio State University succeeds in (gets away with?) using just the block O and the script Ohio with the marching band when Ohio University exists.  I know TOSU is a much bigger school and more prominent athletically.  However, a standalone O and the word Ohio seem like they should be associated with Ohio Univ., not the school that also has "State" in its name.

I apologize in advance for any buckjacking of this thread that may occur, but this doesn't seem worthy of a separate thread.

It's basically arrogance. We're "THE" Ohio State University, don't mix us up with other schools. O-H-I-O I-'m unaware of any other schools in the state that matter.

9 hours ago, msu said:

I took a look at this some more, and each of these schools has a flat version of their logo either as a secondary mark or a vault/vintage logo. In all cases, I think the flat version is better.

BMmDnjR.png

Iowa State is a lateral move, Ok-State's best logo is the middle one, and the others are downgrades IMO. Beveling doesn't need to be universally abandoned.

And an update to the Trojan would be great since I'm not a fan of that logo, but USC has a lot of tradition in their look and I wouldn't blame them if they never changed. 

7 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

It's basically arrogance. We're "THE" Ohio State University, don't mix us up with other schools. O-H-I-O I-'m unaware of any other schools in the state that matter.

Iowa State is a lateral move, Ok-State's best logo is the middle one, and the others are downgrades IMO. Beveling doesn't need to be universally abandoned.

And an update to the Trojan would be great since I'm not a fan of that logo, but USC has a lot of tradition in their look and I wouldn't blame them if they never changed. 

Personally, I think Texas Tech's bevel treatment is the worst one. The black squares at the top of the smaller "T" are pretty bad. And Texas A&M not even using the beveled version on their helmet, the most visible part of their identity, makes the beveled logo especially pointless.

1 minute ago, msu said:

Personally, I think Texas Tech's bevel treatment is the worst one. The black squares at the top of the smaller "T" are pretty bad. And Texas A&M not even using the beveled version on their helmet, the most visible part of their identity, makes the beveled logo especially pointless.

Texas Tech could definitely be cleaned up, but the flat version lacks any and all character. Looks like an attempt from MS Paint.

Very good point on A&M, but I like the beveling as part of their identity that would otherwise be very basic and boring IMO.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:33 AM, leopard88 said:

USC did this once before, in 1992.  It was apparently not well received among alumni and fans.

RoT_Helmet_1992.png&w=960

One problem with that logo implementation was that the colors are inverted from what they should be.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Might I add that UCLA needs to figure out what the heck their colors are already?

I was in Pauley this weekend.  The blue on the court was completely off from the blue on the foam barriers behind the baselines.  The seats even were divided into four sections of increasingly darker shades.  Plus, you have the football team with old gold while the rest of the school's teams are athletic gold.

Let's figure it out, please.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Might I add that UCLA needs to figure out what the heck their colors are already?

I was in Pauley this weekend.  The blue on the court was completely off from the blue on the foam barriers behind the baselines.  The seats even were divided into four sections of increasingly darker shades.  Plus, you have the football team with old gold while the rest of the school's teams are athletic gold.

Let's figure it out, please.

Wasn't that the point of the rebrand? Is there a rule the basketball court doesn't change?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived