North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just expecting the stadium to fall apart a la this .gif.

spacer.png

Beckham would be Buster Keaton. If MLS had to do it over, Beckham would have been told to GTFO.

I think they would have sent him to Austin or New York rather than telling him to beat feet. His name is still worth something even without a team on the field, or even a training facility. Or maybe have him added to the LAFC bid if they felt they couldn't get Miami to work.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they would have sent him to Austin or New York rather than telling him to beat feet. His name is still worth something even without a team on the field, or even a training facility. Or maybe have him added to the LAFC bid if they felt they couldn't get Miami to work.

If Beckham goes to Austin, Precourt will gloat about how cool he thinks he is.  He already thinks he's cool only because Matthew McConaghuey is part of the ownership for Austin FC.  Imagine what he will say if Beckham joins him. 

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If Beckham goes to Austin, Precourt will gloat about how cool he thinks he is.  He already thinks he's cool only because Matthew McConaghuey is part of the ownership for Austin FC.  Imagine what he will say if Beckham joins him. 

I meant before the Savory Queso King moved. He fell into cool guy territory because Matthew McConaughey is backing the team now. I'll be impressed when Precourt realizes he can wear more than one outfit. The guys is like a literal Sims character. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Hi, I'm arrogant.

member_headshot_anthony_precourt1.jpg.1091d7b2892942d6909022b765afa234.jpg

He's a dork as evidenced of when he announced the addition of Matthew McConaughey to his ownership group.  He's telling the other owners with that announcement "look how cool I am that I have a new friend in Matthew McConaughey!"

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If MLS had to do it over, Beckham would have been told to GTFO.

If MLS had it to do over, they would have... done everything exactly the way they did. 

MLS was contractually obligated.  Beckham’s agent locked in the best deal in free agent history, and you know that MLS lived up to their end of the bargain only through gritted teeth at each step. 

11 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Part-owner, VP of Operations, and the manager, huh? What's the over/under on the number of days until we find out that Landon will also be serving as the team's athletic trainer, PA announcer and mascot?

Landon Donovan Set to Become Manager, VP of Operations with USL's San Diego Loyal

The City of San Diego will also be renamed Lan Diego. 

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If MLS had it to do over, they would have... done everything exactly the way they did. 

MLS was contractually obligated.  Beckham’s agent locked in the best deal in free agent history, and you know that MLS lived up to their end of the bargain only through gritted teeth at each step. 

What I mean is that they would have turned Beckham away or tried to get that part of the deal taken out in negotiations. It's stupid that MLS never objected to that bit in his deal.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

What I mean is that they would have turned Beckham away or tried to get that part of the deal taken out in negotiations. It's stupid that MLS never objected to that bit in his deal.

When the deal was made, it looked pretty good from MLS's perspective.  They obviously didn't see expansion fees going up by a factor of ten before the option expired.

And other than the loss of that expansion fee, that contract still looks pretty good from the league's perspective.  They've done, and continue to do, pretty well out of it.

Sure, but I’m more talking about giving an expansion bid away without any vetting for a stadium or the other issues that have plagued Inter Miami.

If MLS had to do it over, I suspect that they would wait for a more established group of investors who had a ready-to-go stadium plan for Miami with no hiccups. Those provisions wouldn’t be in Beckham’s contact, I would assume if MLS knew that they’d be forced to keep his expansion group alive while other groups like Sacramento and St. Louis we’re trying to get off of the ground.

That’s great - fantastic outreach to the Francophone population, and another manager of color in MLS is a good thing.

And personally, I’m okay with MLS being seen as a place for ambitious young managers to make their bones.  That’s a good look. 

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Miami is still in better shape than either of those, with a better ownership group in place.  I don’t think that’s the issue at all, only the fee Beckham paid. 

The issue is that it took forever for them and their position in MLS never had a threat. No "if you don't get the team on the pitch, we're pulling the bid." Yes, they have a solid ownership group. That doesn't take away from the long delays in setting up a team, the many botched plans, and, oh yes, the fact that just wound up at a renovated version of the Miami Fusion in Fort Lauderdale (if that was an option, why not do that first?). That is why I think it was a bad idea. 

Archived