Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

It's going to be super weird seeing a Yankees home jersey with the swoosh plastered across the front. How many years away are we from seeing advertising space sold as sleeve patches?

5-10. If the NBA is willing to do it expect MLB to follow suit. I'm surprised the NHL isn't doing it yet. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Disagree - more teams should be like the Yankees, and put their brand and traditions first and foremost.  I wish my team did.

I meant it more in the sense that the Yankees shouldn’t get special treatment. If the rest of the league gets the swoosh, then the Yankees have to have it too. They’re not special. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I meant it more in the sense that the Yankees shouldn’t get special treatment. If the rest of the league gets the swoosh, then the Yankees have to have it too. They’re not special. 

With the nike logo, Myself I think MLB logo will be on all jersey even the Yankees 

North American teams where in it for the money, they do what soccer teams do. Make a new jerseys every year. Plus Sonpors or Clothings brands pay big money to be apart of the teams. See big money in Soccer jerseys. They make the most out offany sports.

quoted from google
"In 2014, Man U. signed a £75 million-per-year with Adidas. That same year, Man U. also signed a seven-year, $559 million contract with Chevrolet, paying the team$80 million-per-year to have their logo on the jersey. Chelsea's new deal with Nike is only worth £60 million-per-year.Oct 13, 2016 "
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniel...alls-short-of-manchester-united/#5e6621f23c78

hvmY186.png

9 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Sure they are, if they can resist it than any team can.  And every team should have the right. 

If the Yankees can indeed fight logo creep, they ought to. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Sure they are, if they can resist it than any team can.  And every team should have the right. 

If the Yankees can indeed fight logo creep, they ought to. 

What if the league make a rule they have to have nike logo on jersey?

Who said they are fighting the logo, a fan or the team?

hvmY186.png

We don’t know.  They successfully fought it before, but I don’t think there’s any reason to believe they are fighting it now.  Steinbrenner’s kids have already shown they don’t have the resolve of their father, or his care for the club’s legacy.

I’m just saying I won’t fault Yankee fans for wanting them to fight it.  Quite the contrary, actually.  I wish other fanbases cared as much, my own included. 

I don’t think there’s a team in any of the major professional sports that would take the financial hit necessary to keep a manufacturer’s logo off their uniform. Any hopes of the Yankees being that holdout team died when they wore BP caps in a game. 

It is going to happen, it is going to look terrible, and we will have to get used to it. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don’t think there’s a team in any of the major professional sports that would take the financial hit necessary to keep a manufacturer’s logo off their uniform. Any hopes of the Yankees being that holdout team died when they wore BP caps in a game.

The Yankees did hold out.  Until George died. His kids don’t care about it the way he did.

I agree that it’s coming.  But again, I only wish that other fans cared as much as some Yankee fans do.  I certainly won’t criticize them for wanting their club to hold out again. 

1 hour ago, Flames1fan said:

North American teams where in it for the money, they do what soccer teams do. Make a new jerseys every year. Plus Sonpors or Clothings brands pay big money to be apart of the teams. See big money in Soccer jerseys. They make the most out offany sports.

That’s because soccer is the biggest sport in the world.  They can command the highest price. 

But your next quote highlights the problem with that kind of sponsorship - when one team can get x amount of money, and the next gets 10x, that creates an unhealthy imbalance.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The Yankees did hold out.  Until George died. His kids don’t care about it the way he did.

I agree that it’s coming.  But again, I only wish that other fans cared as much as some Yankee fans do.  I certainly won’t criticize them for wanting their club to hold out again. 

Do not seeing a big deal cause nike does stuff with the Yankees, I could see it being on the jersey.

hvmY186.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That’s because soccer is the biggest sport in the world.  They can command the highest price. 

But your next quote highlights the problem with that kind of sponsorship - when one team can get x amount of money, and the next gets 10x, that creates an unhealthy imbalance.  

Well companies pay the big money to be on the jersey. They know how well the team is know and followed around the world. Some Team soccer jersey you can tell who they are cause of the sponsor they have

hvmY186.png

2 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

Your not use to it, more other sports on that side of world does it. Its not bad at all tbh.

I’ve been following the Premiership since before it was the Premiership.  I don’t think there’s much more to “get used to it”, smh. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

You mean Premier league, who your team?

You are perhaps unaware that “Premiership” is an informal nickname for the Premier League, formerly the FA Premier League, formerly the Football League First Division, which was its name when I first started following Arsenal.  COYG. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

You are perhaps unaware that “Premiership” is an informal nickname for the Premier League, formerly the FA Premier League, formerly the Football League First Division.

Arsenal.  COYG. 

I'm a liverpool fan, did not know that, YNWA

hvmY186.png

When the First Division reorganized itself into the Premier League, they considered breaking from the Football Leage and FA entirely.  And they thought that might preclude them from using the word “league” in their name.  So they considered “Premiership” as their official name, and even when they learned it wasn’t necessary the name still stuck as an informal nickname. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

When the First Division reorganized itself into the Premier League, they considered breaking from the Football Leage and FA entirely.  And they thought that might preclude them from using the word “league” in their name.  So they considered “Premiership” as their official name, and even when they learned it wasn’t necessary the name still stuck as an informal nickname. 

Oh ok, make sense. 

hvmY186.png

Archived