Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

x354-q80.jpg

I understand all of the love for New Era, but this was the kind of cap Nike was putting out a few years ago (notice the lack of venting). As someone with 30-40 New Era caps and a USC Nike one shown here, I do not doubt Nike’s ability to create a product that can challenge New Era and keep fans happy. My USC cap is just as good as anything made by New Era. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, skip88 said:

And on top of the things we worry about, i think there is one thing we are forgetting, will Nike be able to  create the correct jersey colors for all teams. Not only team colors, what about the different shades of gray?!

The NBA's Lakers went from Purple and Gold to Purple and Banana Peel!

Yet Nike is able to make the "proper gold" for other teams, maybe the change in yellow is a Lakers thing not a Nike one.

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

x354-q80.jpg

I understand all of the love for New Era, but this was the kind of cap Nike was putting out a few years ago (notice the lack of venting). As someone with 30-40 New Era caps and a USC Nike one shown here, I do not doubt Nike’s ability to create a product that can challenge New Era and keep fans happy. My USC cap is just as good as anything made by New Era. 

Glad this was brought up. I hate the new vapor lineup. 

I own three from this earlier era. A UConn and two Oregon ducks. All three are made in China. One is apparently wool, while the other two are polyester. It's the NIKE TRUE lineup. 

The wool isn't really fuzzy, like your traditional MUSA new era caps were. The Navy UConn poly has some fuzz. Crowns are high and a touch stiff. But I agree, overall feel and quality is there. Nice stitch quality and centering. New era used to be head and shoulders above the rest. I'd put Nike first, the game and pro line second, with Adidas last as far as older college fitteds go. Don't own any under armor to compare. 

New era has had some AC NCAA caps over the years. All made in China. I'd put Nikes older NCAA made in China caps above the new era NCAA ACs. Id even say the older Nike caps are near or above the current imported MLB new eras. So yeah, big potential for Nike if they can revert back to the classic wool non vented styling. 

9mINPui.jpg

mUvls3P.jpg

jtrLdvQ.jpg

Someone had mentioned how Nike kept most NCAA teams looking stylish. Ohio State fell in this group until last spring. The primary away is still all grey but the home shirts here are the default home unis now, but with red hats. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

Hopefully MLB doesnt mess up the replica jersey and use the fanatics brand stuff like nhl has.

Pretty sure Fanatics will do just that. Economies of scale and all. 

MLB replica jerseys aren't great to begin with. No patches (maybe that changed recently, but I don't think so), and if it's a player jersey, no number on front.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

MLB replica jerseys aren't great to begin with. No patches (maybe that changed recently, but I don't think so), and if it's a player jersey, no number on front.

There lots people who dont like the NHL fanatics jersey, also dont like the price of adidas NHL jersey 

hvmY186.png

1 minute ago, Flames1fan said:

There lots people who dont like the NHL fanatics jersey, also dont like the price of adidas NHL jersey 

Ok...there are lots more people who will buy anything with a logo, name, and number on it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I haven't bought a new jersey for quite some time, so I could be wrong, but aren't replica jerseys these days already pretty awful? As I understand it, unless you want to shell out $300 for an authentic jersey with the long tail, you are stuck getting the $100 "cool base" version. People complain that those don't have the side patches, but that appears to me to be the least of the worries. The material is flimsy, non-jersey like and the wordmark is a kind of plastic-y screenprinted material not even resembling embroidery. I recall replicas from 5-10 years ago being much better because the stitching at least resembled a real jersey.

12 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I haven't bought a new jersey for quite some time, so I could be wrong, but aren't replica jerseys these days already pretty awful? As I understand it, unless you want to shell out $300 for an authentic jersey with the long tail, you are stuck getting the $100 "cool base" version. People complain that those don't have the side patches, but that appears to me to be the least of the worries. The material is flimsy, non-jersey like and the wordmark is a kind of plastic-y screenprinted material not even resembling embroidery. I recall replicas from 5-10 years ago being much better because the stitching at least resembled a real jersey.

Replicas were definitely better quality years ago as far as being more like the authentics but I've come around on the cool base jerseys for everyday casual wear. They're lighter weight and now I prefer them as far as wearing them more frequently. The more realistic jerseys just feel heavy on me now and I stopped wearing them unless for a very specific reason. The cool base is more comfortable and I still feel like they look fine if I'm not wearing them to hang out with die hard jersey lovers. 

Anyone else feeling this way?

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Replicas were definitely better quality years ago as far as being more like the authentics but I've come around on the cool base jerseys for everyday casual wear. They're lighter weight and now I prefer them as far as wearing them more frequently. The more realistic jerseys just feel heavy on me now and I stopped wearing them unless for a very specific reason. The cool base is more comfortable and I still feel like they look fine if I'm not wearing them to hang out with die hard jersey lovers. 

Anyone else feeling this way?

I could be ok with the lighter cool base fabric, but you aren't bothered by the plastic wordmark at all? I could warm up to the replicas if they had actual patch lettering, even if the stitching isn't as intricate as on the authentics.

I was looking at cool base 25th anniversary Marlins jerseys at the stadium store and they didn't even seem to resemble jerseys to me. At that point I figured I might as well just go with a tee.

10 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I could be ok with the lighter cool base fabric, but you aren't bothered by the plastic wordmark at all?

Yes and no. To you and I it sucks but to wear to a game or to the grocery store or to hang out with some friends who have no clue what an authentic embroidered logo looks like it's no difference at all.

I wear my cool base jerseys out and I get "hey man, nice jersey!" but have never once gotten "hey man, that's not an authentic embroidered logo!"

That's what I mean. I also can't justify paying the price difference when no one in my everyday life is gonna care if I'm wearing replica or authentic. I can get three replica jerseys for the price of one authentic.

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I bought the Majestic replica Indians jersey with World Series patches on it. It's mesh instead of Cool Base and would actually work as an everyday baseball jersey compared to the older Majestic jerseys I bought in the early 2000's. Not too sure if Fanatics wouldn't simply use these as well unless people insisted they try to make the sleeve cuts match the authentic MLB jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, simtek34 said:

According to this article, on-field uniforms will still be "Made By Majestic." They will just have the Nike Logo sewn on them similar to how the the Packers and Panthers do so in the NFL.

For some reason i can't access that article, is there another place i can read it?

Or does it not really matter, guess  you already told me the most important part 🙂

PS: 

Packers and Panthers do so in the NFL.??

12 hours ago, skip88 said:

For some reason i can't access that article, is there another place i can read it?

Or does it not really matter, guess  you already told me the most important part 🙂

PS: 

Uh-Huh. The Packers and Panthers never switched to Nike’s Speed Machine or Vapor Untouchable templates, sticking with the old Reebok ones. The Falcons, Eagles and Raiders used to do so too. But the Raiders and Cowboys still use Reebok Pants, but Nike Jerseys because Nike can’t make good shiny pants.

da0Lbhs.png

7 hours ago, skip88 said:

PS: 

“It all means that Fanatics, which bought Majestic in spring 2017 as part of a $225 million acquisition from VF Corp., has a new partner in the deal that will keep the production of MLB on-field uniforms and fanwear at the company’s plant in Palmer Township well into the future. The Newlins Mill Road plant typically employs anywhere from 500 to 600 people, the largest remaining apparel manufacturer in the Lehigh Valley’s shriveled garment industry.

More specifically, Fanatics has the licensing rights in the deal to manage the manufacturing and distribution of the Nike MLB Authentic Collection, as well as Nike and Fanatics fan gear, sold through various retail channels.

In addition to playing a key role in the manufacturing of fan gear, the Palmer plant will continue to make the on-field uniforms once the deal with Nike starts, confirmed Fanatics spokesman Meier Raivich and Nike spokesman Josh Benedek. The only difference is the plant’s workers will stitch the Nike Swoosh onto the front of each jersey, rather than the originally planned Under Armour logo.”

Makes sense given MLB’s “Made in America” policy.

Archived