NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

1 minute ago, twi said:

You’re awfully antagonistic, doubly noticeable since you’re a mod. After spending a while as just a very casual reader of the forums and only started posting again this week, it has stood out like a sore thumb. 

Modship has never meant neutrality. And yes I have been harsh with @msu, because he's being ridiculous. 

Southern hockey fans have this bad habit of crying foul the moment anyone makes a joke at their team's expense. Yet they're quite happy to :censored: talk northern teams and their cities all day. 

If you can dish it out? You can certainly take it. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think you understand why we ban discussion on the Native American mascot issue. We ban it because every attempt to have it has devolved into a flame war. If the boards could discuss the matter with both sides showing respect for each other's opinions we'd reopen it. 

It just seems odd you would actively participate and seem to encourage using a racially offensive word when the forum frowns on that in other situations.

Just now, msu said:

It just seems odd you would actively participate and seem to encourage using a racially offensive word when the forum frowns on that in other situations.

I use "redneck" freely because it's not a racial slur. 

While I wouldn't call the term "redneck" racist, I do think it can be used in a mean-spirited manner. Outside of the South people tend to associate the word "redneck" or "hillbilly" with being uneducated, poor, trashy, racist, etc. 

T1oYViW.png

3 minutes ago, msu said:

When did I call Northern fans any names? I said the Rangers jersey was messy at the top. You turned this into a racial situation and flame war.

I'm speaking broadly, not just about you. Southern hockey fans have a bad habit of getting hyper-defensive while also being very dismissive towards northern fans. 

People called the Hurricanes the "Redneck Rangers," and you got mad. I wasn't even the person who started it. 

Also, "redneck" isn't a racial slur. 

2 minutes ago, msu said:

Ok, keep telling yourself a word that is disparaging to a group of people based on race isn’t a slur.

"White southerner" isn't a race.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

Modship has never meant neutrality. And yes I have been harsh with @msu, because he's being ridiculous. 

Southern hockey fans have this bad habit of crying foul the moment anyone makes a joke at their team's expense. Yet they're quite happy to :censored: talk northern teams and their cities all day. 

If you can dish it out? You can certainly take it. 

Neutrality or not, it’s a bad look for the site. 

Maybe I’ll try again in another six months. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I'm speaking broadly, not just about you. Southern hockey fans have a bad habit of getting hyper-defensive while also being very dismissive towards northern fans. 

People called the Hurricanes the "Redneck Rangers," and you got mad. I wasn't even the person who started it. 

Also, "redneck" isn't a racial slur. 

You sound an awful lot like the people in the Native American threads who told people redskins wasn’t a slur.

2 minutes ago, selby56 said:

While I wouldn't call the term "redneck" racist, I do think it can be used in a mean-spirited manner. Outside of the South people tend to associate the word "redneck" or "hillbilly" with being uneducated, poor, trashy, racist, etc. 

There's a place not too far from where I live called Redneck Whine. 

Just now, msu said:

When did I call Northern fans any names? I said the Rangers jersey was messy at the top. You turned this into a racial situation and flame war.

Man, you know we can all read the posts. That's not what happened.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 minute ago, twi said:

Neutrality or not, it’s a bad look for the site. 

Maybe I’ll try again in another six months. 

👋

Seriously, southern hockey fans don't get a free pass on trash talk.  

5 minutes ago, msu said:

You sound an awful lot like the people in the Native American threads who told people redskins wasn’t a slur.

Except the history of the term "redskin" is inherently racial, used primarily by people of one race (Europeans) to describe people of another race (Native Americans). 

Whereas "redneck" has been a term primarily used by white people to describe other white people. And is therefore not a racial slur. 

1 minute ago, msu said:

Again, who trash talked? You? You started proudly making fun of the Canes and Preds.

I don't think you're understanding what's happening here. I'm talking about stuff beyond this thread. 

Namely how your hypersensitivity over the joke "Redneck Rangers" is indicative of a hypersensitivity in southern hockey fans a whole, who trashtalk the northern teams all the time but who act like it's a personal insult whenever the favour is returned. 

10 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

"If YUUUUUVE ever been offended by the term redneck, you might not be a redneck." - mirror world Jeff Foxworthy, probably

Black Lodge Jeff Foxworthy is now intriguing me more than it has any right to.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, msu said:

I don’t find a word that disparages people based on race funny. Apparently you do.

"Redneck" was coined by white people to refer to other white people. And is therefore not disparaging based on race. 

This is where this started, dude:

1 hour ago, msu said:

The Rangers have a tie up, an ugly collar, an adidas box, and a bunch of stripes all combining into a mess front and back. For such a classic team, their white jersey just looks like a junky mess on this template. This Canes jersey is much cleaner and nicer, but since they play in the South a bunch of people want to scream redneck Rangers, which is silly because the Canes even have won the Stanley Cup somewhat recently while the Rangers haven't. Hockey exists in the South. Deal with it.

You posted your original opinion about the Rangers jerseys. Ice_Cap simply responded "No." Then you came with the post above. While we called the Canes jerseys Rangers -like in terms of design, you brought up the team history stuff. Then I'd say "Hockey exists in the South. Deal with it." rings a bit like starting a confrontation. Either Ice_Cap reacts to that or moves on.

So. idk, however you want to live your life, man.

I've always considered "redneck" to be more of a lifestyle thing than a racial white thing, but I don't know.

People find strange hills to die on, man.

Archived