NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For :censored:'s sake, do we really have people on these boards going into a tizzy over the word redneck? I swear I have never used this term ever, but some of ya'll are some seriously delicate snowflakes. Lighten up. 

On topic, I kinda like the "Redneck Rangers" jersey. Not my favorite, but I don't hate it. 

BB52Big.jpg

I have no idea why, and I know I really shouldn't, but I kind of like it when some teams have home and road sweaters that don't match each other. My local college hockey team used to wear home sweaters with the primary logo and road sweaters with lettering spelling out the school name and it just always made sense to me. I realize the college hockey aesthetic is different from that of the NHL, but I have a soft spot for it.

That being said, very few teams could pull that off and I don't know that this attempt by Carolina necessarily accomplishes that (mostly because of the use of CANES), but I don't hate it, as I know I probably should.

6 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I have no idea why, and I know I really shouldn't, but I kind of like it when some teams have home and road sweaters that don't match each other. My local college hockey team used to wear home sweaters with the primary logo and road sweaters with lettering spelling out the school name and it just always made sense to me. I realize the college hockey aesthetic is different from that of the NHL, but I have a soft spot for it.

That being said, very few teams could pull that off and I don't know that this attempt by Carolina necessarily accomplishes that (mostly because of the use of CANES), but I don't hate it, as I know I probably should.

I'm with you on the non-matching home/road sweaters, provided the two jerseys have a similar design aesthetic. Here, I think Carolina have done a good job of that--though it would look much better with CAROLINA spelled out.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Flames Celebrate 40 Years in Calgary With New Logo

August 21, 2019 - 12:24 PM

The Calgary Flames are getting set to celebrate forty years of the club’s time in Alberta over the course of the upcoming 2019-20 NHL hockey season. Yesterday, the Calgary Flames released a new commemorative 40th season logo, the special emblem […]

Read More...

12 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

And considering the prevalence of college sports in NC, especially since the Hurricanes are basically on a college campus?

"We need to look like a college team so fans who don't watch college hockey will watch us" isn't the greatest take. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I mean, being completely honest, the Canes' new away jersey is better with the shoulders then the Rangers jersey. And considering the prevalence of college sports in NC, especially since the Hurricanes are basically on a college campus? It makes perfect sense to lean into that and go for a look that local fans will get behind, especially since the team isn't trash anymore.

I still think the "CANES" is temporary while Dundon and co. make a new primary logo, but I can't blame them for going to a design philosophy that NC is all over in terms of sports as a temporary measure.

I think they already have their new primary logo, and it's on two of the jersey's already.  The Warning Flag C.  It's beautiful, simple and perfect for Carolina and 'Canes.  The toilet flush never worked for me.  It always felt like they had no imagination and just made as literal as possible hurricane on the front of the jersey.  I don't like the updated Warning Flag on a Pole.  Too awkward of a shape, but the C is great.

7 hours ago, jdavidev said:

I think they already have their new primary logo, and it's on two of the jersey's already.  The Warning Flag C.  It's beautiful, simple and perfect for Carolina and 'Canes.  The toilet flush never worked for me.  It always felt like they had no imagination and just made as literal as possible hurricane on the front of the jersey.  I don't like the updated Warning Flag on a Pole.  Too awkward of a shape, but the C is great.

Do you mean the one from the wordmark? I'd rather they keep the current one. I think a properly done warning flag post should be the end result, but the current one is ill-suited for being a hockey crest. The best thing about it is the hidden North Carolina it has between the two flags.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I have doubts that the C with the double flag embedded would make a good jersey logo. If you say that the toilet bowl logo lacked imagination then this would be taking that to the next level. I personally have no issues with the current hurricane logo, never have. Its not underrated but its a perfectly fine design to me and the 2006 cup winning jerseys proved that.

I despise the double flag logo and those black jerseys just look soooo amateur to me. Without a doubt the worst uniform package going around in the nhl right now is the canes. Even their homes are a sanitized, restrained version of what they used to be. They look like they're embarrased to embrace their identity. I wish they showed more hutzpah and went all out with the flags along the hem, silver and italic numbers. It worked.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

13 hours ago, jdavidev said:

The C with the 2 warning flag squares makes a good secondary logo. But I think a block C is a little too simple to be the primary for the Hurricanes.

I think a visual of a Hurricane similar to the current logo is the way to go. But I do agree that some changes to the logo could be for the better.

As a Canes fan, my initial reaction was that I really didn't like it.  It is growing on me, but I still think it could have been a lot better with a few tweaks.

Right now, I just think its too red-heavy.  Outside of the awful red ones they wore starting in 2013, they've always had a nice balance of red and black on all their jerseys, and this one... It loses that balance.  I'm sure I'll eventually get over it, but right now its just so much red.  I don't really care that it says Canes, as that's how they're called around here.  You really don't ever hear anyone talking about the Hurricanes, its always about the Canes, and its pretty much been that way for the last 20 years.  In terms of the issues I have with the jersey, that's very low on it.

But I think it would have been much better with a black wordmark, and the black/grey numbers from the previous set.  That would have given it visual balance with the red and black.  And, it would have allowed the flag motif on the C to stand out.  (I also would have loved it if they only used the flags on the C for the Captaincy designation, and had a variant where they are on the A for the Alternate/Assistant) 

But probably my biggest gripe is that they missed an opportunity to print money across the league by going with 'JERKS' over 'CANES'.  That jersey would have been an incredibly hot seller across the hockey community.  Such a missed opportunity that it makes me a little upset.

As for the 3 jerseys with no cohesion... I mean, if any franchise was going to go against the industry norm just for the sake of it, given everything they've done for past year or so, it was going to be them.  And they were going to do it in a way that ruffled feathers elsewhere but people around here were going to like.  And... judging by the reaction around Raleigh over them, it seems to be working.

59 minutes ago, beardface said:

But probably my biggest gripe is that they missed an opportunity to print money across the league by going with 'JERKS' over 'CANES'.  That jersey would have been an incredibly hot seller across the hockey community.  Such a missed opportunity that it makes me a little upset.

Would never be approved by the NHL. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived