BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

Am I one of the only ones that thinks this is a serious upgrade? For some reason Carolina had trouble pulling of the red, white and black look. Now I feel this adds terrific balance and more pop to a once bland colour scheme. I just wish they added the squares to the sleeve stripe as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 16kid said:

Am I one of the only ones that thinks this is a serious upgrade? For some reason Carolina had trouble pulling of the red, white and black look. Now I feel this adds terrific balance and more pop to a once bland colour scheme. I just wish they added the squares to the sleeve stripe as well. 

 

I agree. It looks good. It seems like a bunch of insensitive people in here, including a mod, would rather use a derogatory racial term to describe it though. Not cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something interesting I found in the Reddit thread as to why they may have gone with the diagonal CANES over a proper logo;

Quote

It :censored:s with the positive/negative space balance on the jersey. The white is the negative space, and with the CANES diagonal font, the negative space dominates the sweater because it fills the space between the relatively small letters. The letters basically fill the same role as a pattern. This creates a clean look that will look fashionable for fans to wear. Like that will go well with khakis or jeans easily. Average joes could throw it on over a dress shirt as a morning commute sweater on game days kind of thing. Black, White or red pants will also work even for the bolder dressers.

 

If you put a giant black and red logo in the middle of the chest, suddenly there’s a huge solid block of positive space that dominates the jersey. It stands out MUCH more. This might be great on the ice with the helmet, shorts, and socks to provide extra negative space to balance things out, but as a wearable sweater for the average fan it sort of looks bad Christmas sweatery. With the red shorts and piping on the socks this will still be a great uniform on the ice. I mean, the Rangers uniforms are a classic look and this plays directly from that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Echo said:

If they were going to go the diagonal nickname route they really missed the boat.

 

gvruYfA.jpg

EPIC!  Post of the day IMHO...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, msu said:

 

I'm hypersensitive? This forum bans speech about Native American mascots. Yet calling the South rednecks is OK. Why is that?

"Redskins" is a racial slur. 

"Rednecks" is not. 

 

Anyway in regards to your initial question...yes. Yes you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, msu said:

 

I'm hypersensitive? This forum bans speech about Native American mascots. Yet calling the South rednecks is OK. Why is that?

 

The latter is hardly equivalent to the former. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 16kid said:

Am I one of the only ones that thinks this is a serious upgrade? For some reason Carolina had trouble pulling of the red, white and black look. Now I feel this adds terrific balance and more pop to a once bland colour scheme. I just wish they added the squares to the sleeve stripe as well. 

I don't know if I'd say serious upgrade, but definitely an upgrade. I think the CANES diagonal look would be better suited for an alternate if they really wanted it that badly. But yes, this is a definite upgrade, even with the inconsistencies between it and the home jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

“...I know what I hate, and I don’t hate this.”

 

Hh86a22o38daQnvKf9IE1FX_bT8=.gif

 

That’s pretty much my collective feeling towards these CANES jerseys. Their inaugural set (and even their original RBK Edge sets, phantom yokes and all) has ultimately trumped anything that’s came after, though these could’ve been so much worse. My biggest issue with the Hurricanes in general is that they’ve been too traditional instead of going for that nuanced late 1990s charm.

 

My biggest nit to pick about these jerseys is using “CANES” for the script instead of “CAROLINA” or just using the main logo (which IMO needs just a little refinement, if anything).

 

Edited by DustDevil61
(but though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, msu said:

I'm hypersensitive? This forum bans speech about Native American mascots. Yet calling the South rednecks is OK. Why is that?

 

Because everyone knows Hurricanes fans don't live down yonder in the holler, they're McMansion brats whose parents moved down from Buffalo and Pittsburgh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Echo said:

If they were going to go the diagonal nickname route they really missed the boat.

 

gvruYfA.jpg

 

Is this your concept?

 

If it is, I second this for PotD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're fine, honestly; the only potential thing I'd have is maybe that the jersey maybe could use a shoulder yoke of some kind and I'd like the flag pattern to have been in the arm striping, too;  but otherwise it's a massive improvement over the last road jersey, which really wasn't very good at all.

 

I have a feeling that the "CANES" wordmark might be something of a temporary thing, too; maybe Dundon wants to rebrand the team with an entirely redesigned primary logo, with this serving as a temporary substitute for said redesigned logo on the away for the upcoming season. That'd line up with how the actual primary has been left to a helmet decal and didn't even get demoted to secondary status on the new away jersey set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I think they're fine, honestly; the only potential thing I'd have is maybe that the jersey maybe could use a shoulder yoke of some kind and I'd like the flag pattern to have been in the arm striping, too;  but otherwise it's a massive improvement over the last road jersey, which really wasn't very good at all.

 

I have a feeling that the "CANES" wordmark might be something of a temporary thing, too; maybe Dundon wants to rebrand the team with an entirely redesigned primary logo, with this serving as a temporary substitute for said redesigned logo on the away for the upcoming season. That'd line up with how the actual primary has been left to a helmet decal and didn't even get demoted to secondary status on the new away jersey set.

 

If the plan is to come up with a brand new logo, then why even bother changing the jersey in the first place?  Why not just wait?

 

The jersey is fine, except of course, not having the actual team logo on it, anywhere.  But, there's no reason it shouldn't match the home.  The only thing that ties them together is the flag pattern and the shoulder logo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M4One said:

 

If the plan is to come up with a brand new logo, then why even bother changing the jersey in the first place?  Why not just wait?

 

The jersey is fine, except of course, not having the actual team logo on it, anywhere.  But, there's no reason it shouldn't match the home.  The only thing that ties them together is the flag pattern and the shoulder logo.  

Dundon haaaated the road jerseys the team had. Like, badly. I assume he just wanted to change the jersey at all costs, so they just went with this as a temporary measure while the team could at least make a rebranded logo soon and then apply it to every jersey rather then do a weird staggered rebrand thing where it affected only one jersey out of three.

 

It's weird, but I mean, this is Tom Dundon we're talking about. He's not exactly your standard NHL owner, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redneck certainly is a racial slur.

 

1sometimes disparaging a white member of the Southern rural laboring class
 
2often disparaging a person whose behavior and opinions are similar to those attributed to rednecks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msu said:

Redneck certainly is a racial slur.

 

1sometimes disparaging a white member of the Southern rural laboring class
 
2often disparaging a person whose behavior and opinions are similar to those attributed to rednecks

"Disparaging" doesn't make it a racial slur, as southern whites are not a race. Whites are, sure, but southern whites aren't. 

 

If you'd like an example of more disparaging language that doesn't constitute a slur? Try "hypersensitive Sunbelt fan who saw someone disagreeing with him about a Rangers jersey as an excuse to wine about anti-southern bias in hockey."

 

I look forward to the first Redneck Rangers/Perds game next season. Should be a barn burner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a Canes fan. I just think it’s sad that the policy of respecting all races on this forum doesn’t extend to everyone. If that’s the case, Native American mascot talk should be reopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

"Disparaging" doesn't make it a racial slur, as southern whites are not a race. Whites are, sure, but southern whites aren't. 

 

If you'd like an example of more disparaging language that doesn't constitute a slur? Try "hypersensitive Sunbelt fan who saw someone disagreeing with him about a Rangers jersey as an excuse to wine about anti-southern bias in hockey."

 

I look forward to the first Redneck Rangers/Perds game next season. Should be a barn burner. 

You’re awfully antagonistic, doubly noticeable since you’re a mod. After spending a while as just a very casual reader of the forums and only started posting again this week, it has stood out like a sore thumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msu said:

I’m not a Canes fan. I just think it’s sad that the policy of respecting all races on this forum doesn’t extend to everyone. If that’s the case, Native American mascot talk should be reopened.

I don't think you understand why we ban discussion on the Native American mascot issue. We ban it because every attempt to have it has devolved into a flame war. If the boards could discuss the matter with both sides showing respect for each other's opinions we'd reopen it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, msu said:

I’m not a Canes fan. I just think it’s sad that the policy of respecting all races on this forum doesn’t extend to everyone. If that’s the case, Native American mascot talk should be reopened.

 

The ban on Native American mascot talk isn't strictly about racial slurs. It's that people can't help themselves to not talk about the political arguments and yell at each other instead of sticking to design and aesthetics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.