baseball to springfield (mo)

thanks to multi, multi millionaire, buisness tycoon, AND southwest missouri state graduate springfield missouri looks to have double A baseball coming to the new "state of the art" Hammons Field. the press conference in springfield will be held tomorrow (tuesday) at Hammons Field to announce the new Texas League affiliate purchased by the St. Louis Cardinals will be moved from El Paso texas to Springfield, (El Paso will retain the name Diablos). it's now time to think of a new name for the springfield team.......

springfield mountianeers

ozark (springfield) mountain lions

what can you guys come up with?

sms.gif

Springfield Downs? With a greyhound logo!

Springfield Stonecutters...obvious logo....

Springfield Atoms....

Springfield Nitney Tide (springfield u)

Springfield Snortin' Swine (springfield A&M)

Channel 6 Wastelanders (bowling team in the pin pals episode featuring Kent Brockman, Bumblebee man, Arnie Pie, and Krusty)

Springfield Pin Pals

Springfield Stereotypes (Bowling Team in the Pin Pals episode featuring Luigi from the Italian resurant, the shipcaptain, Cletus, and Willie)

Springfield Mighty Pigs (Bart's Hockey team)

My fave...the Nitney Tide. GO Springfield U!!!

I am unbelievably geeked about AA baseball FINALLY coming to my hometown. It's been about 15 years or so since the movement to get affiliated ball back to Springfield started, believe it or not. The new yard, Hammons Field, is gorgeous. The Southwest Missouri State baseball team plays there and I was there on opening night. It's an awesome place to watch a game.

El Paso is no going to pursue a Triple-A team. There are several on shaky ground - including, I think, Tacoma. THere will be no baseball in El Paso next season, but they hope to have a Diablo's AAA team in time for '06.

Since the St. Louis Cardinals are going to own the team and the Springfield club will be a Cardinals affiliate, I assume the team will be called the...Springfield Cardinals. There is some historical precedence for it. St. Louis had a minor league team here - called the Cardinals - in 1932 and from 1935-42. The last minor league team in Springfield was the Springfield Cubs - a Chicago affiliate - in 1950. Both franchises were in the Western League.

I wish they'd take the time to pick a name and logo that will tie in to the history of Springfield and southwest Missouri, but I think the Cardinals kinda does that. I've always been partial to the Springfield Millers or the Springfield 66ers. Milling was an important industry in the development of Springfield - I think one of the mills in town represents the oldest milling operation west of the Mississippi, or something like that. I like the 66ers because Route 66 goes through Springfield and the city claims to have coined the phrase "The Mother Road."

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

I wish they'd take the time to pick a name and logo that will tie in to the history of Springfield and southwest Missouri, but I think the Cardinals kinda does that. I've always been partial to the Springfield Millers or the Springfield 66ers. Milling was an important industry in the development of Springfield - I think one of the mills in town represents the oldest milling operation west of the Mississippi, or something like that. I like the 66ers because Route 66 goes through Springfield and the city claims to have coined the phrase "The Mother Road."

66ers is already taken. The Inland Empire (San Bernadino) team of the California League has had it for a while now.

THere will be no baseball in El Paso next season

I'm having a hard time believing this. Baseball has been a staple in El Paso for most of the century. If this is true, then this is a dark day for baseball fans in El Paso (even if it is temporary).

tyson.jpg

I think El Paso will get a central league Indy team. The Coastal Bend Aviators might fold since the Texas League will have the Corpus Christi Hooks team nearby. El Paso would be great to replace or even relocate the Aviators

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived