Arena Football News & Updates

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

So after the XFL adds 320-350 players the AFL wants Cleveland to have those who cannot even make the XFL?

Then again, there are thousands of dudes like Wello Songz, who think they should "go Pro". 

Time to get more cats from the RPFL.

Thanks for the rabbit hole. One minute in and they're playing a recording of the National Anthem by a "Grammy Award winner". I'd say who it was, but a plane was flying over the stadium at the time so I couldn't make it out. Here's some testimony from a guy who actually runs a semi-pro league.

The saddest part? The only comments on the video are a guy who "hopes he can go pro" and another guy replying hoping he does too. 

Edited by Red Comet

13 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Thanks for the rabbit hole. One minute in and they're playing a recording of the National Anthem by a "Grammy Award winner". I'd say who it was, but a plane was flying over the stadium at the time so I couldn't make it out. Here's some testimony from a guy who actually runs a semi-pro league.

The saddest part? The only comments on the video are a guy who "hopes he can go pro" and another guy replying hoping he does too. 

That’s Whitney. They’re playing a full YouTube video for their anthem, not even just the relevant part. 😅

• 4 weeks later...

The sport is a joke and an embarrassment to the sport of football because there are 200 of these leagues right now.  I predict in five years, the number of leagues in Indoor football will grow to 500, proving once more that Indoor football is nothing but a joke of a sport. 

• Like 1

Marshawn Lynch is co-founding an arena football team in Oakland called the Oakland Panthers. (Original story: here) Yeah, he's naming it after the 60's Black Panthers but it wouldn't surprise me if they cribbed off the comic book character/movie quite a bit for the uniforms and mascot.

Hey, if you're going to piss away your post-retirement money, might as well do it entertaining others.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:39 AM, Red Comet said:

Marshawn Lynch is co-founding an arena football team in Oakland called the Oakland Panthers. (Original story: here) Yeah, he's naming it after the 60's Black Panthers but it wouldn't surprise me if they cribbed off the comic book character/movie quite a bit for the uniforms and mascot.

Hey, if you're going to piss away your post-retirement money, might as well do it entertaining others.

The principal owner is Roy Choi, who also owns the Cedar Rapids and San Diego teams.  The San Diego Strike Force had 300 fans at their home finale.

A Union-Tribune writer counted all 400 at an earlier game.

Scott McKibben is also part of the group.  McKibben was formerly the Coliseum Stadium Authority Board Executive Director, which runs the stadium and Oracle Arena, and prior to that in 2014 he was the CEO and Commissioner of the ill-fated A11FL. The HC is the creator of the A11 offense and the A11FL too.

Edited by dfwabel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I wonder how the Freedom Football League feels about this since they were supposed to have a team called the Oakland Panthers.

Based off the site, they seem to be using the animal:

https://www.oakland-panthers.com/

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I wonder how the Freedom Football League feels about this since they were supposed to have a team called the Oakland Panthers.

Based off the site, they seem to be using the animal:

https://www.oakland-panthers.com/

Who cares? Can't get sued if the first guy doesn't even take the field is apparently the logic they're using.

ollesafeee.jpg

Marshawn Lynch is the highest profile owner in the Indoor Football League.  They recently added the Duke City Gladiators, the champions of the CIF to their league and are rumored to have teams in Boise, Idaho as well as the return of the Spokane Shock.  Also rumored are the Nebraska Danger headed to Dallas, Texas. 

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Also rumored are the Nebraska Danger headed to Dallas, Texas. 

If that happens, then I hope they take their announcer Steve Stein with them.  This guy is nothing short of brilliant; and he deserves to be in a much bigger city.

A playlist of Stein's entire 2019 season with the Nebraska Danger is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq-LI3YxR4OLgJPvv9YVQLIJQqDkx9nN8

Stein really has network-calibre talent, and is a joy to listen to.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Marshawn Lynch is the highest profile owner in the Indoor Football League.  They recently added the Duke City Gladiators, the champions of the CIF to their league and are rumored to have teams in Boise, Idaho as well as the return of the Spokane Shock.  Also rumored are the Nebraska Danger headed to Dallas, Texas. 

From the looks of it, it sounds like the IFL is trying to create a Western Division and a Eastern (even though this is all Midwest teams) Division.

Oakland and Duke City (alongside Spokane and either Boise or Portland) would join Arizona, Tucson and San Diego in that Western Division

Out east is Bismarck, Iowa, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Green Bay, Nebraska and Sioux Falls

6 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

From the looks of it, it sounds like the IFL is trying to create a Western Division and a Eastern (even though this is all Midwest teams) Division.

Oakland and Duke City (alongside Spokane and either Boise or Portland) would join Arizona, Tucson and San Diego in that Western Division

Out east is Bismarck, Iowa, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Green Bay, Nebraska and Sioux Falls

Nebraska is expected to move to Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

NAL and CIF to merge:

http://www.nationalarenaleague.com/news-m/927-national-arena-league-and-champions-indoor-football-to-partner-in-2020.html

On Thursday, representatives of the National Arena League (NAL) and Champions Indoor Football (CIF) announced that they will partner beginning with the 2020 season. The two leagues will compete together, under a new league name with two conferences, the CIF and NAL. Scheduling will include in-season crossover conference games and a championship game involving the conference champions.

“For the fans, we are excited to bring these two leagues together,” said NAL Commissioner, Chris Siegfried. “Indoor and arena football fans have always desired to see different leagues play against each other. Now, the teams from these two great leagues will compete and crown one champion”.

Details involving a new name, scheduling, rules, additional teams and playoff information will be announced soon. Both leagues are committed to providing a quality product while also leveraging both leagues’ footprints to bring indoor football to a larger portion of the country and even more fans.

“Our leagues started having discussions back in July, and we quickly discovered that we had an opportunity to both leverage our existing markets and position ourselves for healthy growth and stability for our franchises,” said CIF Commissioner Ricky Bertz. “There are still a lot of moving parts involved in this partnership that we will be announcing, but we are confident that the result will be more excitement for all of our fans, greater market reach and continued strategic business growth in the future.”

Representatives from both leagues shared that immediate additional revenue streams were created as a result of the new partnership and the larger league and footprint will allow the pursuit of even more opportunities. Additional information will also be shared online in a video interview with Seigfried and Bertz on Friday.

“By merging our existing resources together, we now have the critical mass to immediate additional revenue streams. These immediate revenues will offset additional costs incurred from travel and other expenses,” Bertz said. “We are excited about this and other details involving this transition that we will be announcing in the coming weeks.”

It seems strange that Massachusetts, which does just fine in the NAL, wants no part of the merger. I could understand travel costs going up now that you have games in the Midwest to deal with, but they had trips to Orlando. It can't be that bad. Same for New York... In fact, either one coming back helps even the numbers for this new alliance.

Maybe the Pirates are angling for a new league to join?

24 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

It seems strange that Massachusetts, which does just fine in the NAL, wants no part of the merger. I could understand travel costs going up now that you have games in the Midwest to deal with, but they had trips to Orlando. It can't be that bad. Same for New York... In fact, either one coming back helps even the numbers for this new alliance.

Maybe the Pirates are angling for a new league to join?

I wouldn't mind the Pirates being in the Arena Football League next year, with new ownership and a relocation to TD Garden in Boston.  They play in Worcester.