Arena Football News & Updates

On 9/26/2019 at 12:23 PM, GDAWG said:

The two leagues will compete together, under a new league name with two conferences, the CIF and NAL.

This new combined league is going to keep the names "CIF" and "NAL" for the conferences?  So, one of its conferences is going to be called "the National Arena League"?  Hmm.

The whole name thing is going to be messy.  No other league name has a fraction of the recognition of the name "Arena Football League".  For this reason, the tendency to call the NAL "the Arena Foodball League" was strong.  The Westchester County Executive did this at the press conference welcoming the New York Streets; and the Dragons' television analyst Will Holder (the former New York Dragons player) did it several times during every game telecast.  So, whatever they call the league, getting the name out there will be a challenge.

Anyway, I am glad I got my Streets hats when I did.  I suppose I will soon be revising my sig.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 3:06 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Looks like the New York Streets team is gone.  😢  No official confirmation but their website is dead and Wikipedia says they have folded.  I won't give up hope until they confirm it.

If they are done, they are unlikely to confirm it. You keep on hoping. 

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

On 12/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Looks like the New York Streets team is gone.  😢  No official confirmation but their website is dead and Wikipedia says they have folded.  I won't give up hope until they confirm it.

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If they are done, they are unlikely to confirm it. You keep on hoping. 

I'm glad I picked up my gear when I had the chance.

streets-2a-small.png

• Like 4

I had never heard of the Streets before but based on their Wikipedia page, I'm not surprised they're not coming back:

After four games, the Streets had a 3–1 record but then fell to a 3–9 record prior to their final home game on July 21. By halftime in that game against the Carolina Cobras, they had been shutout 46–0. The game was then cancelled as the visitor's locker room had been robbed with several Cobras' players personal items stolen and the Cobras refused to return to the field.[10] A contracted production coordinator for the Streets was arrested for stealing approximately $3,000 in cash from the locker room, as well as stealing $1,000 the previous game from a Streets' cheerleader.[11] A week later, the NAL fined the Streets for not providing adequate security but awarded the Streets a forfeit win due to the Cobras refusing to play, which the league viewed as detrimental to the public image of the league.[12]

So by the NAL's logic, not having proper security and having players/cheerleaders getting robbed in the middle of the game is less detrimental to the league's image than said team not coming back on the field after literally being robbed.

Looks like personal belongings weren't the only thing the Cobras were robbed of. The league stole a victory from them.

• Like 3

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

That's the New York-est team there ever was.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

31 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

So by the NAL's logic, not having proper security and having players/cheerleaders getting robbed in the middle of the game is more detrimental to the league's image than said team not coming back on the field after literally being robbed.

Did you mean to type "less detrimental" instead of "more deteimental," @mr.nascar13?  It seems rather obvious to me that the Cobras' refusal to play the rest of that game infuriated the NAL's leadership more than did the security being presumably weak enough to enable the theft of things belonging to various Cobras personnel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Did you mean to type "less detrimental" instead of "more deteimental," @mr.nascar13?  It seems rather obvious to me that the Cobras' refusal to play the rest of that game infuriated the NAL's leadership more than did the security being presumably weak enough to enable the theft of things belonging to various Cobras personnel.

You're right, that's my mistake. 

• Like 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Wait, the National Arena League thought a team saying "Eff this crap, we're out of here" after having their goods ganked was worse for the league's image than the fact such a thing happened in the first place? 

After seeing a picture of the braintrust running the show, I can see why. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The game was properly forfeited to the Streets because Carolina walked off.  A team cannot unilaterally decide not to play.

When the environment around the game is not safe?  They sure as hell can.  And should.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:
On 1/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The game was properly forfeited to the Streets because Carolina walked off.  A team cannot unilaterally decide not to play.

When the environment around the game is not safe?  They sure as hell can.  And should.

Wrong. The league has the authority to call off a game; but a team absolutely may not take it upon itself not to play.

A team walking off represents a dangerous affront to the league's integrity. In professional sports, if a team abandons a game, it has forfeited that game.  Any other result fatally undercuts the credibility of the competition.

This was a test of the NAL's integrity and professionalism; and the league passed that test by assessing the forfeit, as every other professional league would do if one of its teams took an unauthorised powder in the middle of a game.

The New York Streets organisation showed its incompetence, and was heavily fined for its appalling lapse. But, more important, the NAL showed its seriousness by defending its integrity.

No employer with any integrity forces players to work in an unsafe environment. 

Teams refusing to play is a problem, to be sure.  And in most cases deserves a high sanction.  But in this particular scenario, it was done in response to a previous and far more serious violation, the Street’s inability to create a secure workspace.  Everything stemmed from that prior failure, and that made Carolina’s actions entirely justifiable.

The NAL showed that it has a total lack of integrity when they tried to “both sides!” this embarrassment, punishing Carolina for not tolerating an unsafe workspace.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

... the NAL showed its seriousness by defending its integrity.

The National Arena League's "integrity"? 🤣

In the league's inaugural season, due to the provisions of the Jacksonville Sharks' contract with Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, said team was allowed to play eight games of its 12-game league schedule at home. In order to accommodate said situation, five of the NAL's other seven teams entered the season having been told that they were each hosting just six home games, with the Corpus Christi Rage and Dayton Wolfpack informed that they were to play just five contests at home. Before the NAL played a single game of the 2017 season, the Dayton Wolfpack were designated a travel team, playing its entire slate of games on the road. Ultimately, due to a variety of circumstances, the 2017 NAL season saw Jacksonville and Columbus play 12-game schedules; Monterrey contest an 11-game schedule; Georgia, High Country and Lehigh Valley play 10-game schedules; Corpus Christi take the field nine times; and Dayton play just seven times.

The National Arena League's "integrity"? Your beloved New York Streets played their home games on a field that was well below the NAL's 50 yards plus 8-yard end zones standard (66 total yards). Though marked as to appear to be said dimensions, various estimates had the Streets' home field at Westchester County Center measuring a total of 44 to 50 yards, with the field surface between the goal lines coming in at somewhere between 33 and 38 yards.  

"Integrity"? Really? This is the National Arena League we're talking about. Bargain-basement arena football. This is an endeavor as low in the "pro" sports hierarchy as one is going to find. These are operations that are often fueled by a mix of dreams, self-delusion and chicanery, then held together with bubble gum, duct tape and baling wire. 

Sorry, but "integrity" is not the first word that leaps to mind when discussing such entities. And that's even before you factor in a National Arena League member-franchise's inability to guarantee a secure work environment.      

• Like 6

@Brian in Boston - I don't disagree with any of that. In particular, the New York Streets' field was an absolute joke.

Still, the forfeit was the right decision. You simply cannot have a team walking off in the middle of the game.

Failure to impose that forfeit would have damaged the NAL's integrity to a far greater extent than anything listed above.