2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

9 minutes ago, jn8 said:

YIKES 😬

Your teammate just got suspended for the year with potentially more being added on. You have two options:

1: Tweet a picture of yourself standing by an unconscious player

2: Literally anything else

Like.... how can you be this dumb?

https://media.giphy.com/media/LNeEIW7jQxnOW6510g/giphy.gif

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Off the top of my head Dino Ciccarelli back in the late 80's was sentenced to one day in jail for an on ice incident with Luke Richardson in Toronto.

at this point, that as well be the Mesozoic Era.  while i think he should do some jail time (maybe 30 days to prove a point that there are somethings you just don't do on the sports field) i just don't see that happening.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Are you really trying to compare a punch that happened to hurt someone, vs a guy picking up a dude by the helmet ripping it off and using it as a weapon and swinging it at him? Sure the outcomes were different, but Myles Garrett’s could have been so much worse, and fortunately it cause no major injury. But we can’t determine this based on the outcome but the act itself. 

A punch that nearly killed a guy, that resulted in literally shattering a player's face, a punch that caused numerous medical problems, a punch that resulted in reconstructive surgery? No, I'm really not comparing it to what Garrett did because it was far worse than what Garrett did. Let this sink in, that punch nearly killed a guy. It shattered his face. He had severe medical issues afterward. You would be well served to research all the details of that punch instead of just watching the video. A book was written about this punch. That's how bad it was. 

By the way, the punch didn't just "happen to hurt someone." It was premeditated and it was far worse than swinging a helmet at someone. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I've seen that. What Garrett did is still indefensible.

I'm not defending Garrett in any way. My point was simply that last night's incident was not even close to, as some people here are making it out to be, "the worst thing ever in sports" because it wasn't. Garrett deserves the suspension. What he did was indefensible. He's lucky it didn't turn out far worse than it did. But to say it was "the worst thing ever" is just pointing out how little one knows about sports history. That's all. 

BB52Big.jpg

We only object to the brutality of football when we can relate to it. You get mad at your friend in his basement so you grab something and carelessly swing it at his head like an idiot, we've all been there. I've never been horse-collar tackled, though. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

A punch that nearly killed a guy, that resulted in literally shattering a player's face, a punch that caused numerous medical problems, a punch that resulted in reconstructive surgery? No, I'm really not comparing it to what Garrett did because it was far worse than what Garrett did. Let this sink in, that punch nearly killed a guy. It shattered his face. He had severe medical issues afterward. You would be well served to research all the details of that punch instead of just watching the video. A book was written about this punch. That's how bad it was. 

By the way, the punch didn't just "happen to hurt someone." It was premeditated and it was far worse than swinging a helmet at someone. 

I'm not a doctor but with an NFL lineman swinging a helmet at a guy's unprotected head, death is absolutely on the table as a possible result.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Dude an inch or so could have made this worse than the Kermit Washington punch. Garett and the NFL are lucky that there wasn’t a tragedy last night, he deserves to be gone 16 games at a minimum. 

Sure, but we're not dealing in "what ifs", we're dealing in what is. I'm not defending Garrett in any way. He deserves whatever he gets. My point was that there have been worse moments in sports than what we saw last night. All the shrillness in this thread can't change that. People are in such a hurry to voice their outrage that they aren't bothering to, you know, actually read what I said about Garrett - which is entirely unrelated to my point about the punch. Those of you who quoted me seem to think that I'm using the punch to somehow get Garrett off the hook. That's just lazy and it clearly was not my intent at all. Believe it or not, it is possible to hold two separate thoughts. I know that's a novel concept around here, but it is possible. 

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, See Red said:

I'm not a doctor but with an NFL lineman swinging a helmet at a guy's unprotected head, death is absolutely on the table as a possible result.

Until someone is killed by a swinging helmet, we kinda have to stick with what actually happened. Again, bringing up the punch was not in any way a defense of Myles Garrett. I'll say it yet again, his actions were indefensible. There were people saying it was the worst thing to ever happen in sports. It wasn't and that's why I brought up the punch. It's an example of something that happened that was way worse than last night because it, you know, actually happened. We can speculate all day on what could have happened last night, but that doesn't change what did happen last night. Neither the helmet swing or the punch were good, but one definitely had a far worse outcome than the other. 

Is the fact that I can condemn Garrett's actions while not believing it was the worst thing I've ever seen really such a tough concept for people around here to get their heads around? 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

sCUDQZQ.jpg

YIKES 😬

Your teammate just got suspended for the year with potentially more being added on. You have two options:

1: Tweet a picture of yourself standing by an unconscious player

2: Literally anything else

Like.... how can you be this dumb?

That's simple. He's a Cleveland Brown. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It's not as much fun as it looks like it would be.  But getting blindsided is a real hoot. 😉

One time I hit someone with a tennis racket with the intent of the strings bouncing off his head but the handle turned in my sweaty hand and I got him with the rim. Then he got understandably pissed and hit me with a plastic trash can lid really hard. This is growing up in the Midwest during the professional wrestling boom when the neighbor kid has permissive/absentee parents and a finished basement.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

One time I hit someone with a tennis racket with the intent of the strings bouncing off his head but the handle turned in my sweaty hand and I got him with the rim. Then he got understandably pissed and hit me with a plastic trash can lid really hard. This is growing up in the Midwest during the professional wrestling boom when the neighbor kid has permissive/absentee parents.

Good times, right? 

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I used to wonder how some people could not care about sports, and envied them a little bit, but now I get it.

Grad school really helped me get out of that loop. Once you have more important things to do for yourself, it becomes less a part of your life. That and I found other hobbies. I like spending my weekends going on walks or diving down research rabbit holes, only bothering to look at scores so I can talk to old friends and post here in a constructive way.

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

That's simple. He's a Cleveland Brown. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8970346

Granted, if I was in Manziel's position, I'd be getting early '80s Alice Cooper-level hammered as well. 

NFL players are big and strong and plays happen faster than most of us could ever move, plus they're all flowing with adrenaline and reacting in the moment.

We judge players based on neverending instant replays that we can speed up, slow down, zoom in, and freeze frame. That's a pretty nice luxury for us, but I don't think it's always fair.

Should we hit people with helmets? No. No we shouldn't. Should we provide some latitude that given Myles Garrett's past behavior that something extraordinary happened? Probably.

I don't think anyone involved is the devil. No serious damage was done and everyone will live to play/fight another day.

And if you think pretty much every football player is substantially less violent than what happened at the end of the game, I don't know what to tell you. Football is fast and cruel and these guys are trying to exert their physical will over one another. It's pretty amazing there aren't more fights, all things considered. They show far more restraint on a play by play basis than I think most could muster.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Once again you are only concerned with the result. He didn’t take an object and use it as a weapon like garret did. Also from what I read it was not premeditated but a reaction to seeing someone running at him after just being pulled away from another fight. Mason could have been paralyzed from being picked up by his face mask, he could have had his held split open, get confused have his skull fractured and died on the field if he was hit differently but luckily that didn’t happen.

28 minutes ago, dont care said:

Once again you are only concerned with the result. He didn’t take an object and use it as a weapon like garret did. Also from what I read it was not premeditated but a reaction to seeing someone running at him after just being pulled away from another fight. Mason could have been paralyzed from being picked up by his face mask, he could have had his held split open, get confused have his skull fractured and died on the field if he was hit differently but luckily that didn’t happen.

Once again, you're completely missing my point so I will make it really simple for you.

• 1. After the incident with Garrett some people here said it was the worst thing they'd ever seen in sports.
  • 2. I strongly condemned Garrett's actions in a few different posts. I have unequivocally stated that I am not in any way defending him. Period.
  • 3. In a completely different and unrelated post, I said that the Kermit Washington punch was worse than what happened last night simply to illustrate that last night was not "the worst thing that ever happened in sports." It was a simple reference to history and fact. No more, no less.
  • 4. In the aftermath of people like yourself standing idly by as my point flew well over your head and then throwing hypotheticals at me, I said we aren't dealing in what ifs, we're dealing in what is. We can speculate all we want, but it doesn't change what actually happened.
  • 5. I will say this one last time and then I'm done with anyone who can't seem to grasp the concept. Referencing the punch was not intended to be a defense of Myles Garrett or to get him off the proverbial hook. (I'll also say this yet again in the hope that it finally sinks in, Garrett's actions are indefensible.) When I brought up the punch, I was making one point and one point only; the result of that punch was far worse than the result of that helmet swing. The reason I brought it up was to illustrate last night was not even close to "the worst thing that ever happened in sports." No more, no less. It was not meant as anything other than that. 

If you still don't get what I was saying then I can't help you and I'd ask that you move on to something else. Stating what might have happened is getting us nowhere. It's as silly as saying "you know what else, a plane could have crashed into the stadium and landed on Rudolph right after Garrett swung the helmet." Sure, that could have happened, but it didn't. 

Finally, Kermit Washington may not have said "I'm going to destroy Rudy Tomjanovich's face", but he knew he was looking for someone to hit. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived