2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dont care said:

Which was the more egregious act a punch or tomahawking a helmet into another players unprotected head? Well just have to agree to disagree because I don’t believe a freak accident is worse and you aren’t gonna change my mind and I guess I won’t change yours.

I'd say literally almost killing a guy is far worse, but let's set that aside for a minute. The punch was a "freak accident?" You're saying that Washington's hand involuntarily punched Tomjanovich, "accidentally" destroyed his face, and almost killed him? That is a "freak accident?" No offense, but it's hard to fathom just how much the point of this entire debate has been so utterly and hopelessly lost on you. I'm not going to "agree to disagree" because, frankly, you're flat out wrong and we both know it. There is simply no debating the fact that the result of the Washington punch was far worse than the result of the Garrett helmet swing. With that, I'm done trying to convince you that the sky is, in fact, blue. 

BB52Big.jpg

12 hours ago, dont care said:

I’d also say the punch is most similar to involuntary manslaughter since he didn’t mean to injure him yet almost ended his career

How do you know that Washington didn't mean to injure Tomjanovich any more than how you seem to be certain that Garrett was trying to injure Rudolph? Maybe we should allow for the possibility that Garrett wasn't thinking with any more clarity or malicious intent than Washington was. Or does that not fit the story you're trying to sell? 

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yes. Regardless of what Kermit Washington did to Rudy T. nearly two generations ago, it is not the issue.

The NFL protecting the Steelers by not suspending Rudolph, the backup QB so PIT can try to make the playoffs is the issue...😄

And Jerry Kramer was offside in the 67 Ice Bowl.

And Rich Karlis missed that FG in OT in the '86 AFC title game. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I'd say literally almost killing a guy is far worse, but let's set that aside for a minute. The punch was a "freak accident?" You're saying that Washington's hand involuntarily punched Tomjanovich, "accidentally" destroyed his face, and almost killed him? That is a "freak accident?" No offense, but it's hard to fathom just how much the point of this entire debate has been so utterly and hopelessly lost on you. I'm not going to "agree to disagree" because, frankly, you're flat out wrong and we both know it. There is simply no debating the fact that the result of the Washington punch was far worse than the result of the Garrett helmet swing. With that, I'm done trying to convince you that the sky is, in fact, blue. 

I wasn’t saying the punch was a freak accident but the result was since 99% of the time the worst that happens from a punch is a broken nose and black eye. Meanwhile a hit to the head with a helmet 9/10 it’s going to cause sever injury. I’m sorry you think assault is worse than assault with a deadly weapon and we can’t agree on that and you won’t let me have a differing opinion but that’s on you. Also I thought a mod would be better than to create stories about other members to try to make a point. I never attacked you that way and expect the same respect back.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

I wasn’t saying the punch was a freak accident but the result was since 99% of the time the worst that happens from a punch is a broken nose and black eye. Meanwhile a hit to the head with a helmet 9/10 it’s going to cause sever injury. I’m sorry you think assault is worse than assault with a deadly weapon and we can’t agree on that and you won’t let me have a differing opinion but that’s on you. Also I thought a mod would be better than to create stories about other members to try to make a point. I never attacked you that way and expect the same respect back.

First off, there's no need be sorry for what I think. You're allowed a differing opinion. My issue all along has been your steadfast refusal to see the one and only point I've been trying to make. 

Second, a gun or a knife is a "deadly weapon" a football helmet on its own is just a football helmet. That's not to say that a football helmet couldn't be used for deadly force, but let's tap the brakes on acting like it was an AR-15, OK? There was no assault with a deadly weapon in that football game. There was, however, an idiot who hit someone with his helmet and could have caused serious injury to another player by doing so. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Point being, if helmets are "deadly weapons" then we should probably take a serious look at shutting down the NFL because there are 106 guys armed with deadly weapons during every game. Most teams probably have back up helmets sitting around as well. Using your logic, we're lucky that there hasn't been a massacre during a game. Well, no massacres other than that time the Patriots scored 31 unanswered points to comeback from 28-3 and beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl. B)

Finally, mods aren't allowed to make jokes? I used the goat story as an example of how far speculation can go and to try to add a little humor to the whole thing. Do you really think anyone actually believes you bought a goat and had sex with it? I even said I doubted that it actually happened, but it could have - just to show you how far we can go with what ifs. It was an analogy, dude. Nothing more. I don't really believe you buy goats for sex. At least, I hope you don't. 

Now why don't we do the rest of the community a solid and stop arguing about this? I've made my point, you've said a bunch of stuff that is wrong (joking again), and he we are. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

First off, there's no need be sorry for what I think. You're allowed a differing opinion. My issue all along has been your steadfast refusal to see the one and only point I've been trying to make. 

Second, a gun or a knife is a "deadly weapon" a football helmet on its own is just a football helmet. That's not to say that a football helmet couldn't be used for deadly force, but let's tap the brakes on acting like it was an AR-15, OK? There was no assault with a deadly weapon in that football game. There was, however, an idiot who hit someone with his helmet and could have caused serious injury to another player by doing so. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Point being, if helmets are "deadly weapons" then we should probably take a serious look at shutting down the NFL because there are 106 guys armed with deadly weapons during every game. Most teams probably have back up helmets sitting around as well. Using your logic, we're lucky that there hasn't been a massacre during a game. Well, no massacres other than that time the Patriots scored 31 unanswered points to comeback from 28-3 and beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl. B)

Finally, mods aren't allowed to make jokes? I used the goat story as an example of how far speculation can go and to try to add a little humor to the whole thing. Do you really think anyone actually believes you bought a goat and had sex with it? I even said I doubted that it actually happened, but it could have - just to show you how far we can go with what ifs. It was an analogy, dude. Nothing more. I don't really believe you buy goats for sex. At least, I hope you don't. 

Now why don't we do the rest of the community a solid and stop arguing about this? I've made my point, you've said a bunch of stuff that is wrong (joking again), and he we are. 

I did not like the piling on by you and others, it offended me and I wish you used another analogy. If you don’t see how it was in poor taste that’s on you. Anyway I looked up what classified a deadly weapon and god damnit Florida man “A man from Florida was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after throwing a live alligator through the open drive-through window of a fast food restaurant.” Also using a helmet like Myles Garrett did would have been considered a deadly weapon.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

I did not like the piling on by you and others, it offended me and I wish you used another analogy. If you don’t see how it was in poor taste that’s on you. Anyway I looked up what classified a deadly weapon and god damnit Florida man “A man from Florida was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after throwing a live alligator through the open drive-through window of a fast food restaurant.” Also using a helmet like Myles Garrett did would have been considered a deadly weapon.

Well, I used the analogy I used. Pretty sure everyone else saw it for the joke it was. But if it really bothered you that much then I apologize. 

You've get the last word. Now I'm putting on my mod hat and telling both of us that enough is enough. It's time to move on. Fair enough? 

BB52Big.jpg

So Colin Kaepernick has his work out, the thing is he had his own 60 miles away from the NFL and notified them a half hour before the NFL’s work out was suppose to be. I guess Kaep didn’t like the NFL’s standard liability waiver for workouts and submitted his own Version. Of course the NFL denied that one because no organization would do that. He then shows up to the practice in a “kunta kinte” shirt to compare himself to a slave. Colin had a good workout but he made a spectacle out of it which is the exact reason why he’s out of the league. He then goes on a tirade after the workout calling out the league and roger goodell saying it’s their fault he hasn’t been signed. As a whole it was an awful look for Kaep and because he just couldn’t comply and show up and work and not make it about him he will never get another job in the NFL again.

Have team injuries ever been correlated to shoddy medical staffs?

The Eagles fired their medical team after the Super Bowl season in '17, and they're had more key injuries than I've ever seen ever since.  It's to the point where people are calling for the new medical team to be fired.  One example is Desean Jackson, who was diagnosed with what used to be called a 'sports hernia', and told he could rehab it for 6 weeks and be OK, or have surgery and be fine in 6 weeks.  Well he chose the former, and 5 minutes after coming back, re-tore it, and has to have the surgery, when every other doctor that's been asked about the situation has said that surgery should have been the only option since rehab wouldn't have permanently fixed it no matter how long he stayed out.

Eagles are playing the Patriots today missing:

#1 and #2 receivers.  They're starting a guy they signed off the street this week, and some jabronis that have caught like 5 passes total all season.

#1 and #3 RB.  They just signed Jay Ajayi off the street who hasn't played anywhere since last October after an ACL.

#2 DL, #1 and #2 LB, a bunch of DBs, and PR.  They've been starting guys who were on other teams' practice squads up until the week of the game, and in one DL's case, a guy that wasn't on a practice squad and was just on the street, signed on Tuesday, started on Sunday with no NFL experience.

It's absurd, and while flukes happen, and some guys are just either injury prone or soft, last year was pretty much the same, and it corresponds with the medical staff turnover.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

52 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Have team injuries ever been correlated to shoddy medical staffs?

The Eagles fired their medical team after the Super Bowl season in '17, and they're had more key injuries than I've ever seen ever since.  It's to the point where people are calling for the new medical team to be fired.  One example is Desean Jackson, who was diagnosed with what used to be called a 'sports hernia', and told he could rehab it for 6 weeks and be OK, or have surgery and be fine in 6 weeks.  Well he chose the former, and 5 minutes after coming back, re-tore it, and has to have the surgery, when every other doctor that's been asked about the situation has said that surgery should have been the only option since rehab wouldn't have permanently fixed it no matter how long he stayed out.

Eagles are playing the Patriots today missing:

#1 and #2 receivers.  They're starting a guy they signed off the street this week, and some jabronis that have caught like 5 passes total all season.

#1 and #3 RB.  They just signed Jay Ajayi off the street who hasn't played anywhere since last October after an ACL.

#2 DL, #1 and #2 LB, a bunch of DBs, and PR.  They've been starting guys who were on other teams' practice squads up until the week of the game, and in one DL's case, a guy that wasn't on a practice squad and was just on the street, signed on Tuesday, started on Sunday with no NFL experience.

It's absurd, and while flukes happen, and some guys are just either injury prone or soft, last year was pretty much the same, and it corresponds with the medical staff turnover.

Yea there is no way to rehab tissue and potentially intestines back through abdominal muscle. Hernias require surgery.

Not to threadjack, but I just wanted to make this observation:

Ah, the Canadian Football League, where it may be possible for a team from Edmonton to represent the "Eastern" half of the league in the championship game against a "Western" opponent based in a city further east than Edmonton. Here's hoping Hamilton beats them, and spares Canadians the mockery that would ensue from American sportscasters about the "small time" "amateur football league" CFL having an Edmonton-Winnipeg Grey Cup game.

5 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Not to threadjack, but I just wanted to make this observation:

Ah, the Canadian Football League, where it may be possible for a team from Edmonton to represent the "Eastern" half of the league in the championship game against a "Western" opponent based in a city further east than Edmonton. Here's hoping Hamilton beats them, and spares Canadians the mockery that would ensue from American sportscasters about the "small time" "amateur football league" CFL having an Edmonton-Winnipeg Grey Cup game.

Here's the CFL thread.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

So Colin Kaepernick has his work out, the thing is he had his own 60 miles away from the NFL and notified them a half hour before the NFL’s work out was suppose to be. I guess Kaep didn’t like the NFL’s standard liability waiver for workouts and submitted his own Version. Of course the NFL denied that one because no organization would do that. He then shows up to the practice in a “kunta kinte” shirt to compare himself to a slave. Colin had a good workout but he made a spectacle out of it which is the exact reason why he’s out of the league. He then goes on a tirade after the workout calling out the league and roger goodell saying it’s their fault he hasn’t been signed. As a whole it was an awful look for Kaep and because he just couldn’t comply and show up and work and not make it about him he will never get another job in the NFL again.

And yet the NFL is "running". Somehow.

I feel like I've woken up in Oz and instead of a little old man who's behind the curtain, it's the Joker.

18 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

And yet the NFL is "running". Somehow.

I feel like I've woken up in Oz and instead of a little old man who's behind the curtain, it's the Joker.

My favorite part “we are ready, we are here” yep 60 miles away from where you were suppose to be. Good job showing that you are just trying to create your own narrative.

A runner's forward progress is stopped, even though he may have never even caught the ball?  It's either a fumble or incomplete pass - there's no way that forward progress could have been stopped.  Clear turnover negated, officials are subhuman pieces of trash.  Screw this league and it's at-best incompetent, at-worst in the gamblers pocket referees.

Also, Carson Wentz must not have talked to jesus or his god for a while.  Dude needs to die and be resurrected or something, because he's no better than what I flushed down the toilet five minutes ago.  their third string defense has held Brady to nothing, but bad call and Carson's lack contact with the lord are killing them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived