MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

45 minutes ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

On 2/7/2024 at 11:03 AM, OnWis97 said:  If I take everything I read at face value, most MLB teams need to flee their urban hellscapes.  The Twins, Mariners, Giants, Dodgers, and Cardinals, just to name a few, better get to the suburbs or roll the dice on smaller markets.                 Don't you know    thatMinneapolis is still burning and a war zone? At least that's what my relatives from outstate that only ever go to Fargo and Sioux Falls say.    I for one can corroborate. Please don't move here so the housing prices stay reasonable             Also,typing on mobile still isn't fixed? Lmao

Responding on mobile. No problem here.

Maybe it's you?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

Living in proximity to Lambeau, practically in its shadow, must be so weird. It's the sports world's closest thing to a company town. Undesirable.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Living in proximity to Lambeau, practically in its shadow, must be so weird. It's the sports world's closest thing to a company town. Undesirable.

Except you know it's there before you move there. You choose to live there, so it is desirable. 

• Applause 2

It's where I sit.

"5 million fans" is a whopper. The Cubs and Wrigley are world-famous and at their best they draw 3 million. 

I'm all in on this being the site for a new Bears stadium. It's the only outcome that resembles making sense.

31 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

"5 million fans" is a whopper. The Cubs and Wrigley are world-famous and at their best they draw 3 million. 

I'm all in on this being the site for a new Bears stadium. It's the only outcome that resembles making sense.

5 million fans across 81 games a year would require a stadium capacity of nearly 62k, nearly 6k more than Dodger Stadium, which is the largest baseball (specific) stadium in the world.

• Applause 1

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Confirmed - my typical tailgate location
Stadium-Drive

Late, but having been there twice (but not getting to see an actual game yet), I thought this was just about the strangest thing when I rolled up on Lambeau the first time, not knowing what to expect, and certainly not expecting to find a whole residential neighborhood built around it...I mean literally to the point where some people's back fences back up on the parking lot. (And that's for the yards that even have a back fence...a few of them don't, which means those folks can walk right out their back door, through their backyard and right on into the lot.)

The only other experience I can think of (that I've personally seen) that comes somewhat close is the Timbers' arena in Portland. Of course the major difference there is house height...just about all the houses that surround Lambeau are one-story, so it cuts an even more imposing silhouette into the streetscape.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The old Colisee abutted a modest residential neighborhood. I remember watching some CBC story on the Nordiques where they panned from kids playing street hockey outside some stocky '50s two-flats to the arena itself, which was across the main road at the end of the street. I don't think you get the same effect with the Centre Videotron because it's a little deeper into the parking lot.

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Orchard Park's somewhat like Green Bay in that sense of having a stadium in the middle of a residential area, but it is a bit more open between US Routes 20 and 20A where the stadium is

I didn't see any houses where the back yard ended at the parking lot of the stadium when I went to Orchard Park.

It's where I sit.

I've been to some Cape Cod League "stadiums" (using that word generously) where the houses in the outfield have backyards that function as their own personal, permanent luxury boxes. Living the dream.

That new Marlins Park is right in the middle of some residential blocks in a way that kind of shocked me for such a new build, but not in a charming way.

40 minutes ago, Digby said:

That new Marlins Park is right in the middle of some residential blocks in a way that kind of shocked me for such a new build, but not in a charming way.

It was because the classic Orange Bowl stadium used to be there and it was available when the Marlins were looking.  City of Miami gave the Marlins a "good deal".  It's not perfect, but eh.

• Like 1

With Las Vegas being the "It Sports/Event City" at the moment, I've noticed California is going to be slammed the next 5 years with major sporting events and new teams:

-NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament 

West Regional (Los Angeles)

-Bay FC (NWSL expansion/San Jose)

-CFB Playoff Quarterfinal (Pasadena)

-NBA All Star Weekend (San Francisco)

West Regional (San Francisco)

-San Diego FC (MLS expansion team)

-Golden State (WNBA expansion team/San Francisco)

-CFB Playoff Quarterfinal (Pasadena)

-Super Bowl LX (Santa Clara)

-NBA All Star Weekend (Inglewood)

First/Second Round (San Diego)

West Regional (San Jose)

-NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament 

Regional (Sacramento)

-FIFA World Cup (Inglewood & Santa Clara)

-Super Bowl LXI (Inglewood)

-U.S. Open Golf (Pebble Beach)

-PGA Championship Golf (San Francisco)

-Summer Olympics (Los Angeles)

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Judging by local social media? They don’t like it. But, elections are determined by the ballot box, not Internet banana stickers. Let’s see what happens in April. It’ll probably pass because renovations for Arrowhead are packaged with it as technically, it’s not even new spending but an extension on a “temporary” sales tax increase that funded the last round of major renovations to Kauffman and Arrowhead. 

Edited by Red Comet

On one hand, I think that the A's ownership's lack of progress on both a new permanent home ballpark in the Las Vegas area and securing a post-2024 interim venue is fomenting plenty of leverage for the Oakland and Alameda County governments.  On the other hand, I am concerned that Oakland and AlCo will end up overplaying their hand as long as their negotiators insist upon more or less a Cleveland deal -- i.e. a stipulation that if and when the A's relocate, the A's leave behind their intellectual property and history in Oakland and MLB guarantees that one of its next expansion teams be in Oakland.