NFL face mask: gray vs color

Reyes47

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

It works for the

Cowboys (with the silver color helmet)

Lions

Panthers (stick with a different color though)

Patriots (stick with a different color though)

Raiders

Seahawks

Titans

Thats pretty much about it. Its only acceptable if they have gray prominently in their scheme. IMO

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

The patriots and redskins face masks keep the color balance. Gray ruins it and is obtrusive. All of what you said looks worse than the colored face mask. Gray isn’t part of the redskins color scheme yellow is why include ugly gray? The yellow face mask matches the stripe gray throws it off

I think we're getting to "agree to disagree" territory. You don't like grey masks. Some of us do. I doubt we're changing each others' minds.

6 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

If colored face masks were always the norm would you be advocating for gray face masks?

"If things were different they'd be different" is not a good argument.

6 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Should Oregon use a gray face mask?

There are a lot of things Oregon should do when it comes to their football uniforms 😜

15 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

The patriots and redskins face masks keep the color balance. Gray ruins it and is obtrusive. All of what you said looks worse than the colored face mask. Gray isn’t part of the redskins color scheme yellow is why include ugly gray? The yellow face mask matches the stripe gray throws it off

Well, I'm not advocating they wear "ugly gray"... just use the standard gray that teams like Oakland and Ohio State use.

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think we're getting to "agree to disagree" territory. You don't like grey masks. Some of us do. I doubt we're changing each others' minds.

"If things were different they'd be different" is not a good argument.

There are a lot of things Oregon should do when it comes to their football uniforms 😜

and what are some thing oregon should do with their uniforms? 

Again do you think there are some examples where a colored face mask was an improvement?

2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

and what are some thing oregon should do with their uniforms? 

This isn't a thread about Oregon.

2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Again do you think there are some examples where a colored face mask was an improvement?

If I may answer this with a question of my own...

Does it bother you so much that I like grey facemasks that you feel the need for me to give examples of where a coloured mask would look better?

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, I'm not advocating they wear "ugly gray"... just use the standard gray that teams like Oakland and Ohio State use.

oakland and OSU use silver gray not the dark gray that the bills and cardinals use. They work because they match their helmets colors

3 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

oakland and OSU use silver gray not the dark gray that the bills and cardinals use. They work because they match their helmets colors

Actually the Oakland Raiders and Ohio State University Buckeyes both use flat grey facemaks with their silver helmets. They're the same sort of grey facemaks the Bills and Cardinals use.

gLxMWTn.jpg

4Y4mWCD.jpg

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

This isn't a thread about Oregon.

If I may answer this with a question of my own...

Does it bother you so much that I like grey facemasks that you feel the need for me to give examples of where a coloured mask would look better?

you didn’t answer my question. it doesn’t bother me that you like gray face masks. You can like gray face masks and think every team looks better with gray face masks. I’m just curious if you think any team benefited from a colored face mask

1 minute ago, Reyes47 said:

you didn’t answer my question. it doesn’t bother me that you like gray face masks. You can like gray face masks and think every team looks better with gray face masks. I’m just curious if you think any team benefited from a colored face mask

Green Bay.   Gray on yellow looks odd to me.

You can like gray face masks and think every team looks better with gray face masks.

Well thank you.

I’m just curious if you think any team benefited from a colored face mask

I think that some teams pull off coloured masks quite nicely. The Chargers have always been a bright team, for example. So their athletic gold mask works for them.

Washington, on the other hand, has a facemask that's the same colour, and I don't think it works for them. It's too bright on that burgundy helmet. I think the old fashioned look of the grey facemask, paired with Washington's classic helmet design and rich, Autumn-esque colour scheme, work well together.

Just goes to show you that none of this is absolute. I think a bright athletic gold facemask works better than grey for one team, but looks worse than grey would for another.

Just no red face masks or metallic gold pants for the Niners, please. I’d rather look like the great dynasty of the ‘80s than the later Steve Young/Jeff Garcia/early Alex Smith days. 

Edit: My biggest rule: if the logo on a colored helmet is white, the facemask shouldn’t be white. This is hideous:

spacer.png

...while this is pretty good:

spacer.png

I didn't post that graphic of the helmets as a way of saying that I think every one of those teams would look better that way.  Just that the biggest majority of them would at least look OK, and a few would look better. @Ice_Cap nailed it... it's team by team. The Redskins are the best example.  When they don't wear the gold pants, to me there's not enough gold on the rest of the uniform to justify that color as a facemask.  In general, masks that are the same color or darker than the helmet work best to me, and if its a loud, garish color like gold on a dark helmet, it's too obnoxious.  Add to that, the burgundy color and 70's design of helmet, and a gray mask would look amazing, although they could also solve those issues in a less brave way with a burgundy mask. I feel the same way about New England's red mask. I know red is one of their colors, but there isn't enough of it to make the red a better choice than navy. And gray would solve the issue, too.

But if you're talking about a team that's pushing a cutting edge, bright and modern brand, then gray probably isn't the best choice, sure. But, honestly, as a general rule, I hate those types of uniforms anyway.

I’m in the “works sometimes but doesn’t in others category.”

Sometimes, color facemasks work. The yellow facemasks the Chargers introduced this season upgrade that whole set more than any grey facemask would. 

51 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well thank you.

I think that some teams pull off coloured masks quite nicely. The Chargers have always been a bright team, for example. So their athletic gold mask works for them.

Washington, on the other hand, has a facemask that's the same colour, and I don't think it works for them. It's too bright on that burgundy helmet. I think the old fashioned look of the grey facemask, paired with Washington's classic helmet design and rich, Autumn-esque colour scheme, work well together.

Just goes to show you that none of this is absolute. I think a bright athletic gold facemask works better than grey for one team, but looks worse than grey would for another.

well sorry but i throughly disagree along with most people with your opinion. The yellow face mask balances the burgundy and feels like an extension to the yellow stripe you ignore. Gray sucks the life out it and makes it bleh. Gray is not an autumn color. If you dislike the yellow use burgundy or black or even white as a neutral color. Gray is ugly and unless you have gray in your. colors it never works which i think is an absolute 

35 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

But if you're talking about a team that's pushing a cutting edge, bright and modern brand, then gray probably isn't the best choice, sure. But, honestly, as a general rule, I hate those types of uniforms anyway.

why do you hate modern uniforms? And didn’t you praise Pitt and Rams for going back to their bright uniforms? 

Archived