Tweaks or Changes you Would Make to Improve a Current Uniform (without an overhaul)

simtek34

On 8/2/2020 at 1:18 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd like to make more than "tweaks" to the Phillies jerseys (mostly, make the top of the h and is flat, and the bottom of the h flat, and make the stars red again) but here's a really simple one:

Fix how the P overlaps the h.  It makes an already unnatural script look even worse, and it's such an easy change to make.  They're very inconsistent in how they use the overlap.  The have official logos that have it, and official logos that don't.  Make up your stupid minds you dummies.

EDIT: also go back to the pre-2019 style of chainstitching.  The new style looks too machined.  Nearly impossible to tell if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, so I won't try to point out the differences.  The differences are visible in these two photos, but again, most eyes can't tell the difference.

98329a_lg.jpeg  s-l1600.jpg

Is the new "chain stitching" style the reason for the slightly larger wordmark and possibly also the reason the cardinals on the St. Louis jersey became larger?

This is maddening for people who recognize these details.

The White Sox '83 alternates went through a similar change around 2015 or 2016 which to me makes all the difference in the world and looks terrible.  When they first reintroduced these as Sunday alts, the white  S-O-X letters were slightly reduced from the original unis and left some black outline around them so they could be read.  I thought they also had slightly moved up the stiping and wordmark on the jersey, ever so much.

Around 2015, something in the manufacturing process changed and the S-O-X letters became larger by about 15% so that they now almost touch each other and also touch the red stripes, as there is very little black around them.  Now it's like SOX, no space, looks completely mashed in there.

I'll try to post three examples below.

1. Original unis from the 80s.

2. The 2014-2015 unis (looked really good, nice spacing between letters and stripes, slightly reduced text from the originals, a modern update, and moved the entire striping and wordmark up on the chest so that it was no longer between the belly and chest but rather across the chest).

3. Letters now enlarged, mashed together, moved lower again on the uni, looks awful.

1. Floyd Bannister, 1983-1984:

spacer.png

The 2014 version.  Notice the wordmark higher on the chest, the letters slightly smaller, nice spacing in between:

spacer.png

The 2015-2016 update.  Why the hell did the letters get so big? They're touching each other now.  Looks like a blob.

spacer.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it's for the same reason as the White Sox, but the Phillies script had been "growing" over the years.  I don't mean the whole thing was growing, but each individual letter was getting fatter.  It got so bad that MLB actually pointed it out and told them to correct it, hence why the current version (introduced in 2019) has (among other things) a much thinner outline around all the letters.  The script on the gray jersey actually has a gray outline around the white, just to keep the white from being too fat.

2018:

s-l640.jpg

2019:

jean-segura-philadelphia-phillies-game-u

EDIT:

Looks like they changed the cuff trim from a wide elastic band to just regular trim.  Can't believe I didn't notice that.  Now it's back to how it was back in '92.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So for the NHL...

Hurricanes: Drop the CANES jersey and replace it with their previous road jersey and update it.(flag pattern on hem striping and red numbers with black outline) Just put a silhouette version of the flag pattern striping on the alternate!

Blackhawks: Fix the collar again. Add a new black alternate.

Islanders: Fix the collar and change the alternate’s base colour to orange.

Bruins: Change the alternate’s base colour to gold and put a black traditional yoke to avoid being looking too much yellow.

(I’m looking at you, Predators!)  

Kings: Give the home jersey hem striping to become a modern look of Gretzky-era jerseys.

Fix the collar. 

Canucks: Make the road’s shoulder logos blue. And change the orca logo’s colours to royal blue and green to match the team’s colours sincerely. Of course, fix the collar. 

Devils: Just give hem striping on both jerseys! They look empty without their ironic striping.

Avalanche: Change the helmet and the pants to navy blue and replace the road’s numbers to navy. Fix the collar. 

Flyers: Change the alternate’s numbers to white  and of course, add more orange striping for the alternate also.  Fix the collar. 

Jets: Make the both jerseys inspired by their Heritage jerseys. Keep the pants blue. Update their alternate with a traditional yoke and red striping. 

Kraken: Make the hem striping to match the sleeve striping. 

Ducks, Flames, Oilers, Predators, Sharks, Capitals, Lightning,  Coyotes, and Blue Jackets must have a complete rebrand. 

Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Penguins, Rangers, Red Wings, Sabres ( glad they finally back to royal blue!), Stars, Wild, Panthers, Blues, and Golden Knights had great uniforms, so no changes needed. 

You’ll realize I never mention the Senators why?  Well, because they already had a new look coming this year, so I’ll wait. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Some NHL ones: (Home/Away unis only)

Bruins: Bring back yellow socks, switch yellow and black on away jersey striping

Canes: Replace diagonal wordmark on away with team logo, add more black

Blackhawks: Put tomahawk C back on the arms

Avs: Get rid of black as an equipment colour

Kings: Get rid of piping and add hem stripes to the home

Wild: Get rid of chest stripe on home, put arm stripes on hem

Habs: Put hem stripes on the arms (I don't care if they've never done that, it's too boring without them)

Predators: Thicker outline striping, back to blue helmets

Rangers: Go back to the diagonal wordmark saying "New York" on the away jersey

Flyers: Add black hems under the hem stripes

Penguins: Match the home jersey's hem stripes to the arms

Blues: get rid of the inconsistency between the yoke and hem/arm striping, switch the two blues on the away

Kraken: Add a navy stripe on top of the seafoam on the away

Leafs: Go back to two hem stripes

Canucks: Go back to having a V on the arm stripes

Vegas: Add black onto the away jersey somehow

Every other team is either perfect or too far from being saved by tweaks alone.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Agree totally on the blues. Fix the inconsistent hem/yoke stripes, too. (Essentially go back to the early 2000s).

For the Vikings, I'd change the sleeves on the white jersey to match the white pants. The yellow is barley visible, so it needs to touch purple on at least one side. Purple facemask, too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This post could be long so I'll just narrow it down: 1) NBA - doesn't matter what tweaks you make, they will have 12,023 uniforms to choose from so I'm sure one would be spot on 2- Can someone with over a fourth grade level redesign the Los Angles Kings logo. I can't believe I have to look at that stupid logo in their Stanley Cup photos. 3-Mentioned here before, wish the NY Giants had their gray pants back for the homes.

Dodgers road jersey: Eliminate Los Angeles, just go with Dodgers, and add the white outline from the 80's jersey.

White Sox: Make a black, grey and white version of the 80's SOX uniform and make it the primary home uni.

Marlins: Change black name and numbers to blue on white jersey, ditch the black jersey and make a blue jersey with Marlins on the front.

Columbia Fireflies: change the wordmark on the front.

Nets: does changing the font on all jerseys count as an overhaul?  I'd love a name/number font that looks kinda like graffiti but is still readable.

Coastal Carolina: See Nets question.  They have a specific number font on their field and in their branding but the font on the unis are not even close.  Annoys me.

spacer.png

Last updated 8/9

Archived