Chiefs/Texans nicknames

This question doesn't have to do logos but the nicknames of the Chiefs and Texans. We know the KC Chiefs were originally called the Dallas Texans, OK, but how did the Houston franchise acquire the nickname? Didn't the Hunt family have  the rights to the Texans name? Can anyone explain this, or know anything about the history of the nickname.

I don't have an answer for you, but I know it's not the only case of this. The New York Giants were originally the New York Titans, and the name got reused for the Tennessee Titans (who used to be the Houston Oilers, who got replaced by the Houston Texans...)

rATMcmK.png

6 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I don't have an answer for you, but I know it's not the only case of this. The New York Giants were originally the New York Titans, and the name got reused for the Tennessee Titans (who used to be the Houston Oilers, who got replaced by the Houston Texans...)

It was the Jets who had the nickname Titans in their first three seasons in the AFL.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Ok so to clear this up, the NFL had a team called the Dallas Texans, the AFL later also had a team called the Dallas Texans owned by Lamar Hunt, who later moved the team to Kansas City and called them the Chiefs. Bob McNair, who brought a new NFL franchise to Houston in 2002, asked Hunt for permission to call his team the Texans.

I remember reading something at the time along the lines the same thing happened with Tennessee, the Jets were asked and gave their permission to reuse the Titans name.

I doubt either of those name changes needed extra arm twisting from the league to happen.

8 minutes ago, schlim said:

I remember reading something at the time along the lines the same thing happened with Tennessee, the Jets were asked and gave their permission to reuse the Titans name.

I doubt either of those name changes needed extra arm twisting from the league to happen.

Image result for titans vs oilers"

And this led to a game where the Titans played the Titans! Err . . . Oilers!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It was the Jets who had the nickname Titans in their first three seasons in the AFL.

And the Tennessee Oilers needed to get the Jets' permission to go along with the "Tennessee Titans" rebrand. I'm sure it was just a formality, but they still had to clear it with the Jets.

I'm unsure about the Houston Texans needing the Chiefs' permission, but I'm sure it was, like the above, a simple formality of getting permission.

12 hours ago, NicDB said:

Totally different league that didn't merge with the NFL like the AFL did.

Hmmm ... it has been my understanding that the Miami Seahawks' league, the All-America Football Conference, was absorbed by the NFL during the 1949-50 offseason and that the Miami Seahawks' successors, the original Baltimore Colts, were one of the three AAFC clubs to earn a place in the NFL after the merger.  (That particular Colts team folded after the 1950 season; the current Baltimore-turned-Indianapolis Colts debuted in 1953.)

I'm sure it wasn't as simple as asking and just getting permission. Deals were likely struck to sell off the rights to the names in each case.

I don't have an issue with the Titans holding onto the Oilers name since they used it for a few years in Tennessee... and since they own it outright anyways. My gut has always said that the Adams family is still making $$$ off Oilers merch sold in Houston. Can anyone in Texas confirm??

47 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Hmmm ... it has been my understanding that the Miami Seahawks' league, the All-America Football Conference, was absorbed by the NFL during the 1949-50 offseason and that the Miami Seahawks' successors, the original Baltimore Colts, were one of the three AAFC clubs to earn a place in the NFL after the merger.  (That particular Colts team folded after the 1950 season; the current Baltimore-turned-Indianapolis Colts debuted in 1953.)

Unlike with the AFL, the NFL did not acknowledge AAFC records. So in a sense, Cleveland and San Francisco were treated as expansion teams, rather than as full partners like the AFL teams were in 1970. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

As @MJWalker45 pointed out, the NFL simply absorbed some of the AAFC teams, but they never merged. It was much more akin to the NBA and NHL taking on some of the old ABA and WHA franchises.

Archived