Chiefs/Texans nicknames

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Colts' pre-Baltimore history is weird. They're somehow equal parts Dallas Texans, New York football Yankees, and AAFC Miami Seahawks.

It can be argued that the lineage of the Colts starts with the Dayton Triangles with stops in Brooklyn as the Dodgers and Boston as the Yanks.

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Colts' pre-Baltimore history is weird. They're somehow equal parts Dallas Texans, New York football Yankees, and AAFC Miami Seahawks.

A while back u/garethom on reddit make this infographic to visualize the shreds of history that tie the Colts to the Dayton Triangles:

jb8oq72bivk21.png

The Miami Seahawks, though, folded after the 1946 AAFC season and was bought and became the first iteration of the Baltimore Colts in 1947.  The Baltimore Colts I joined the NFL after the AAFC was absorbed in 1949 and then folded at the end of the 1950 NFL season, being sold back to the NFL.  The Baltimore Colts I are only related in name to the Baltimore Colts II that would become the Indianapolis Colts.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

You know what's interesting about the Brooklyn Dodgers football team is that they were in Madden 25 (That's Madden 2014, don't ask why it was 25) as a relocation team and then removed after that year and even had the same logo. Also there was the Yanks who also got removed. I guess EA Sports pissed off MLB.

UF6rf5t.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

On 2/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, packerfan21396 said:

A while back u/garethom on reddit make this infographic to visualize the shreds of history that tie the Colts to the Dayton Triangles:

The "Dayton to Indianapolis via Brooklyn, Boston, New York, Dallas, Hershey, and Baltimore" is a good story... it just doesn't happen to be true.

The whole "Cancelled & Replaced By" verbiage on that graphic gives it away. "Cancelled & Replaced By" doesn't mean the franchises are related.

The Indianapolis Colts are a direct descendant of only the Baltimore Colts, which were an NFL expansion team in 1953 that moved to Indianapolis in 1984. No AAFC Colts, no Dallas Texans, no Boston/New York Yanks, and certainly no Dayton Triangles.

This article in the PFRA "Coffin Corner" sums it up. It's a long-ish, winding read, but an interesting one.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

6 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

The "Dayton to Indianapolis via Brooklyn, Boston, New York, Dallas, Hershey, and Baltimore" is a good story... it just doesn't happen to be true.

The whole "Cancelled & Replaced By" verbiage on that graphic gives it away. "Cancelled & Replaced By" doesn't mean the franchises are related.

The Indianapolis Colts are a direct descendant of only the Baltimore Colts, which were an NFL expansion team in 1953 that moved to Indianapolis in 1984. No AAFC Colts, no Dallas Texans, no Boston/New York Yanks, and certainly no Dayton Triangles.

This article in the PFRA "Coffin Corner" sums it up. It's a long-ish, winding read, but an interesting one.

When you look at the history’s though there was never a cancelation but instead franchises being bought and moved, 

14 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I agree, and that article is a good one; I never claimed that the Colts are the Triangles.  Just thought a picture was a little easier to digest than a 6 page article.

Even though the Indianapolis Colts actually were the Baltimore Colts, old Baltimore fans probably have little stock in the current Colts, similar to Houston fans not caring about the current Titans, Chicago and St. Louis fans not caring about the current (football) Cardinals, among other examples across multiple sports.  Relocation happens a lot in sports and even though it's a continuation of a franchise in a new place, it essentially becomes the equivalent to the beginning of a new team regardless of semantics.  Having a Rochester banner hanging in Sacramento or a Seattle logo painted on a wall in Milwaukee is extremely weird.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

On 2/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, packerfan21396 said:

jb8oq72bivk21.png

The Miami Seahawks, though, folded after the 1946 AAFC season and was bought and became the first iteration of the Baltimore Colts in 1947.  The Baltimore Colts I joined the NFL after the AAFC was absorbed in 1949 and then folded at the end of the 1950 NFL season, being sold back to the NFL.  The Baltimore Colts I are only related in name to the Baltimore Colts II that would become the Indianapolis Colts.

Cool graphic but who uses blue for land on maps? Took me a second to figure out what i was lookin at

On 2/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, Old School Fool said:

You know what's interesting about the Brooklyn Dodgers football team is that they were in Madden 25 (That's Madden 2014, don't ask why it was 25) as a relocation team and then removed after that year and even had the same logo. Also there was the Yanks who also got removed. I guess EA Sports pissed off MLB.

UF6rf5t.jpg

It was called Madden 25 because it was the 25th version of the game.  Interestingly the game used two different cover players, Barry Sanders (only non current at time of release cover athlete) on previous generation consoles, and Adrian Peterson on current gen consoles which were new at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, mfoster said:

FWIW, Lamar Hunt seriously considered keeping the Texans name when he moved the club to Kansas City.

I've read that in several places.  It's insane to think he even considered it, let alone gave it more than two seconds of thought.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived