Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

4 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Honestly? It looks like a lot of the problems similar smaller markets have in the Big Four 🤷‍♂️

The NFL is constantly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with London, and Khan's a businessman. He sees some extra cash to be made by being the guy the NFL can rely on to agree to their stupid London games. Doesn't mean there's a plot to move the team to London though (because no one is moving to London, it simply isn't possible to have a team there full-time).

Point is smaller market + inconsistent on field performance = struggling fan support. Happens all over the place. Not a uniquely Jacksonville problem.

So we shouldn’t be upset because the owner and prick president of the team talk about us? So you look like a Bucs fan, how did this sit with you when this was going on? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj5vdTaweLoAhVPneAKHZBGCx0QFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F903126-tampa-bay-buccaneers-and-their-rumored-move-to-london-is-beyond-disturbing&usg=AOvVaw0-2eXFCpwtZp9d7oYMfIgh

......and then there is this:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/10/12/bucs-london-home-holds-the-future-of-nfls-globalization/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I'd say the problem is exasperated by the popularity of college football in northern Florida. The Gators and Seminoles are two of the most successful programs in history. Why pay more to see a mediocre pro team when you (usually) have a very competitive college team you can watch

As a Nole I agree, but we have definitely supported the Jags which is my point. Jacksonville gets a terrible reputation, yet we spend more than the bottom third of the league in revenue. The numbers don’t lie. Well we will see what happens this year because you are absolutely correct, we will spend our money elsewhere with college football or whatever else there is to do as many of us are more infuriated by the comments of two azzes in the Baguars front office than the results on the field.

17 minutes ago, rtr2me said:

The first one doesn't even say their moving, just saying that parliament wants a team and the Bucs just happened to be the host that year.

And the second one is literally just talking about the Bucs playing a game in London. You could find articles like that for every team that's played in London. 

Yes the constant will-they-won't-they sucks for the Jags. But remember that it's just people searching for cheap clicks. You're more likely to lose the Jags to San Antonio than London

8 minutes ago, rtr2me said:

So we shouldn’t be upset because the owner and prick president of the team talk about us?

I think running a top flight operation in a smaller market always has its pitfalls, and that sometimes that means executives giving frank assessments of the situation often come off as callus and uncaring about the fanbase.

If you want my honest opinion? I think Khan's been a stabilizing force for the Jags. I think he's put a fair bit into the team and stadium. I think that if he wanted to move them? He'd have done it by now.

I also think that the Jags organization is partially to blame, for failing to produce a consistently winning team. And that the smaller market means that ticket sales will always be a bit of a question mark, even when the team is good.

I don't think Jacksonville is a bad market, I don't think the Jags should move. I think that they have proven that they can make a go of it where they are. It's just that the nature of being a smaller market will lead to awkwardness like this.

12 minutes ago, rtr2me said:

So you look like a Bucs fan, how did this sit with you when this was going on? 

I moved to Tampa in 2016. I was a Chargers fan from Ontario before then 😁

My affinity for the Bucs has been growing since 2016, as a result of watching them weekly with friends every season since I moved down. I finally decided to embrace them as "my" team when Phillip Rivers left the Chargers. Once he was gone? There was nothing to root for there except Dean Spanos' idiocy in a city they shouldn't be in.

I say this all to make it clear that that I wasn't a Bucs fan in 2011, so I can't speak to how valid those rumours were. I was still following the NFL pretty regularly though, and I don't recall any "Bucs to London" rumours, though that article obviously proves someone was talking about it. That it didn't happen just furthers my point- no one's moving to London. The logistics of a full-time London team make it untenable.

15 minutes ago, rtr2me said:

......and then there is this:

This goes along with what I've been saying about the NFL being dumb and wanting to fit a square peg into a round hole re: London. It's such a bad idea to play regular season games over there, and teams know that. That's why the NFL is essentially bribing teams, offering them a slot to host the Super Bowl if they agree to play a game over there. So the Bucs did it, to get that 2021 Super Bowl slot. It sucks, but it isn't a sign that the team is moving. Just that the NFL is foolishly trying to make the London thing work against all logic.

Honestly I hope they do leave now. I just watched Khan and Lamping’s remarks again online, and after wasting my money all of these years on club seats watching a bunch overpaid, under performing crybabies (Jalen...), I say move.

We had fun watching the real Jaguars almost get to the Super Bowl with Brunell, that’s when we had a real team, a real owner, and the owner & team were a part of our community as the Weavers, Brunell. Keenan, Jimmy, Freddie T., Lageman, etc still are. This new guy needs to go and take his team with him.

4 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Is it an unpopular opinion that Jacksonville shouldn't have gotten a team?

In the 1990s, people in sports were very concerned with population dramatically shifting south and west and meeting them there, which was fair. Jacksonville was a growing city like Raleigh or Nashville, but it didn't keep growing as dramatically as expected. The league had always budgeted for Jacksonville punching above its weight (it was to be "the Green Bay of the South"), but the Jaguars never became a regional power, being hemmed in by the Buccaneers and Dolphins to the south, Saints to the west, Falcons to the north, and college football everywhere. But Jacksonville had been knocking on the league's door since the '70s trying to poach the Oilers out of the dumpy Astrodome. They got their expansion team because the league thought it best to keep St. Louis and Baltimore in their pocket for relocation. If we had gotten the Baltimore Bombers to go with the Panthers, it's possible that Jacksonville lures the Art Modell organization down and they get their team that way.

To the Jaguars' credit, they've hardly been a fire for the league to put out, on par with, say, the Coyotes or Thrashers or Blue Jackets or Expos or Pelicans. They've just been a bit of an underachiever. I guess the question is, would a franchise allocated to a different market have made the league as a whole more money? Maybe, I don't know, but I don't really care. They're not hard up. If the expansion had gone to St. Louis, maybe we hang onto the Los Angeles Rams, but they were sniffing around goddamn Hartford, Connecticut at one point, so maybe history was always going to play out with them leaving.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Khan is from Pakistan. I can't tell if he's being mildly racist

Mildly?  More like wildly.

Khan moved to the US when he was 16, married an American woman, and raised his family outside of Chicago.  He’s a United States citizen.

I’m no lefty, but this comment is out of bounds.

Typical #DUUUVALLLLL fan though.

Archived