CFL Project (Expansion in Canada & USA starts 5/4)

WideRight

15 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Love that you went with Purple & Gray, but UWO use those colors too ( only silver not gray), that might be an issue. 

Would not really be an issue for London that the colours are the same as the local university football team.  It is kind of a thing that happens in real life.  Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Ottawa all have similar colour schemes to the university football programs in their city/province.  Though Riders and U. of S. Huskies looked a bit more similar in the 1990s than today.  In fact, the Eskimos started wearing green and gold because they received a second hand set of uniforms from the U. of Alberta Golden Bears way back in the day.

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

The only drawback is that Boise State has that famously (hideous) blue turf.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hideous?? Why because it's not the usual green? That's the unique feature of Albertsons Stadium.

• Like 1

If Boise is playing in Albertson Stadium, it will need some renovation.  Stadium can accommodate the wider field but the end zone seating will need to be pushed back.

Since a new field needs to be put it and if I were imaginary commissioner, I would mandate a usual colour green field.  Blue field be gone!

And our third U.S. team is football returning to St. Louis.  

ST. LOUIS STEALTH

Playing in the new MLS open air stadium in St. Louis.  My original idea was to create a logo for the St. Louis Lightning that would have a bolt passing from S to T to L, but as I aligned different configurations of letters this version emerged and I recognized that the shape would fit within a stealth bomber or stealth fighter design, so I shifted gears (and color schemes), taking inspiration from the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks, and created an StL stealth plane.  Still debating if it needs motion lines or some other feature to highlight that this is a jet and not just random diamond patterns.  As for the colors, black and two tones of grey seem the best option to convey the "stealthy" nature of the design. 

spacer.png

For the uniform I went for something which I normally reject, the unitard look.  With this identity it just seemed to make sense to do an all-black look, and a mostly all-white look. Helmet and jersey striping is very thin, to add a little of the grey/black to the jerseys but not enough to take away from the overall dominance of one color.  And, since the design on the plane only works left to right, I did another thing I normally dislike, but which makes sense here, the 1 logo helmet with numbers on the reverse side. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Still debating if it needs motion lines or some other feature to highlight that this is a jet and not just random diamond patterns.  As for the colors, black and two tones of grey seem the best option to convey the "stealthy" nature of the design. 

spacer.png

I think some kind of motion lines may help. Looking at it, the tail feels a bit odd in the rendering of the jet. I’d suggest tweaking that a bit.

The color scheme is fine. I see no reason why not to go with black and gray.

Lastly, the secondary logo with the arch is a bit confusing. I think the black line in the middle is cluttering it up quite a bit. Then the bottom of each leg with the text in front is also a bit cluttered. I understand that the intent is to illustrate the triangular shape of the legs, but maybe there’s a better way to do that.

gYH2mW9.png

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

I'd suggest having the numbers italicized in the opposite direction. That is to say, with the horizontals angling upwards from right to left. Further, in two digit numbers, the numeral on the left should be positioned higher than that on the right. In this way, the numbers would seem to be moving upwards, as though taking flight. As it is now, the stealth bomber on the righthand side of the helmet seems to be rising, its nose pointed skyward. Meanwhile, the number on the lefthand side of the helmet - and on the jersey - seems to be diving down, with the first/leading numeral pointing earthward.

Now that I look at it, I also feel as though the numbers on the black helmet should feature the white highlights that the numbers on the black jersey do. And, if that's the case, shouldn't the letters in the "STL" monogram on the helmet also feature white highlights?    

I expect I will be revisiting a few of the designs, and St. Louis is definitely one I could update.  Thank you all for the feedback.  For now, the last of the 16 planned CFL franchises, and then a medium-to-big announcement:

HARTFORD OAKS

Named for the famous "Charter Oak" which symbolizes Connecticut's role in the American Revolution and its founding as a state, the Hartford Oaks also recalls an earlier local team from the old Continental Football League in the 1960's.  Rather than depict the oak itself, and after several failed attempts to try to figure out a way to merge an oak tree and a figure similar to Pat the Patriot, I went a different direction.  Let's assume the owner of this franchise is an alum of Ohio State and opted for a very OSU looking logo.  

In addition to the Acorn & Leaf "O" which will adorn the helmets, there are several "O" designs, including one that tries to incorporate an "H" as well (a la Whalers).  

The team colors of deep oak brown and leaf green is unique in professional sports today.  

spacer.png

The uniforms also give off something of a collegiate vibe, with traditional block numbers, wide sleeve stripes and two parallel stripes on the helmet and pants, to parallel the secondary logos' split "O" motif.  

ragKZdd.png

And now the announcement...

The CFL, having received so many strong bids for U.S. Expansion, has opted to abandon its plan for a 16 team league of 4 four-team divisions, and will expand up to 18 franchises, divided into three divisions of 6 teams, each including both Canadian and U.S. franchises.   The structure of the league will be as follows:

EAST:   Atlantic Schooners--Québec Voyageurs--Montréal Alouettes--Ottawa RedBlacks--Hartford Oaks--Expansion Team #17

CENTRAL: Toronto Argonauts--Hamilton Tiger-Cats--London Wolves--Winnipeg Blue Bombers--St. Louis Stealth--Expansion Team #18

WEST: Saskatchewan Roughriders--Calgary Stampeders--Edmonton Eskimos--BC Lions--Boise Bulls--Portland Chinook

So, two more teams to come, plus some revisions as needed. 

• Like 13

12 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Awesome. Some ideas for expansions- Anchorage, Spokane, Grand Rapids, Billings?

Like these choices but:

Anchorage - No stadium

Spokane - has Joe Albi Stadium, has room for larger CFL field because of no endzone stands.

Grand Rapids - has both Houseman Field and Lubbers Stadium at GVSU. Both could accept larger CFL field.

Billings- not sure on stadium.

Plus these cities:

Milwaukee- no stadium

Rochester NY- no stadium, but maybe Rhinos? Stadium.

Guest darkpiranha
17 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

Like these choices but:

Anchorage - No stadium

Spokane - has Joe Albi Stadium, has room for larger CFL field because of no endzone stands.

Grand Rapids - has both Houseman Field and Lubbers Stadium at GVSU. Both could accept larger CFL field.

Billings- not sure on stadium.

Plus these cities:

Milwaukee- no stadium

Rochester NY- no stadium, but maybe Rhinos? Stadium.

True.  But in each of these cities, when they are awarded their imaginary team, the city council earmarks imaginary money for the imaginary stadiums.