Next city to get an NFL team

Sebastianm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I only want the owners to fund it themselves, I have had enough of greedy owners screwing over taxpayers for shiny new stadiums.

Neither owners nor cities are funding >$1B stadiums any time soon, rendering the discussion moot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If anything the Pandemic will likely cause some owners in all sports to look at selling the teams. 

Dude - the owners are in the 1% that can make it through all this unscathed.  None of them are personally feeling any losses their teams are taking. No year-long pandemic is going to ruin a billionaire - especially not while the market is as hot as it is (let's go AMD!!!).  

If anything, it's a lousy time to be selling a team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Dude - the owners are in the 1% that can make it through all this unscathed.  None of them are personally feeling any losses their teams are taking. No year-long pandemic is going to ruin a billionaire - especially not while the market is as hot as it is (let's go AMD!!!).  

If anything, it's a lousy time to be selling a team.

A few teams are for sale or at least exploring it.  Glenn Taylor is considering selling the Timberwolves and I think I read somewhere that the Mets are back in play as possibly being sold.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:36 PM, GDAWG said:

Not at this point.  I would not be surprised if some cities become a bit more frugal in terms of stadiums and arenas due to economies affected by a pandemic.  

*laughs in Greater Sudbury*

This, for a city of 150,000, spread across an area larger than Luxembourg.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 12:42 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Please explain why you feel Oakland will be one of the next cities to get an NFL team.

Apparently according to local radio in San Diego and LA Stan Kroenke was going to target Oakland had LA fallen through on the relocation vote to the Raiders and Chargers going to Carson.  I could see Oakland and the East Bay being very attractive for an owner with deep pockets that wants to privately fund his own stadium like Kroenke did in LA.  There is not an owner like that now but who knows if years from now someone with the likes of Kroenke comes in and buys the Jaguars or whoever comes up for sale and then moves them into a privately funded stadium in the East Bay.  

There was no way that Kroenke was going anywhere but LA.  He was not going to fail no matter what.  Nothing against the East Bay, but it's not the LA market.

You don't make a run at LA and then "settle".

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There was no way that Kroenke was going anywhere but LA.  He was not going to fail no matter what.  Nothing against the East Bay, but it's not the LA market.

You don't make a run at LA and then "settle".

Vegas is only market I could've seen Kroenke "settling" for

On 8/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Vegas is only market I could've seen Kroenke "settling" for

Las Vegas wouldn't have been worth it for Stan Kroenke to build an 8 billion dollar stadium & entertainment district with private funds.  Las Vegas is only worth it if you can get public funds.  Raiders would have never went there if they had to foot the whole thing.   The Bay Area is one of those prime locations around the country where it is worth it to build with private funds.  That was the point that was being made on that radio show in LA which was being hosted by Fred Roggin who followed the whole relocation saga the entire time along with Vinny Bonseniore. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, NormMacdonald said:

My guess is we don't have any relocations this decade. If there are relocations I can only think of 2 teams that might. In no particular order: Jags and Bills. And even though they have the best chance, I still think both of them will still be in their respective cities by the end of this decade

I would throw Cincinnatti in there as well.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

Toronto should be next. It's bigger than every market in the US besides LA, Chicago, New York.

YOu sure about that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

It's hard to tell with Toronto because sometimes the GTA includes Hamilton and other times it doesn't. Sometimes it includes Oshawa and other times it doesn't. It's kind of like the Washington-Baltimore area. I think "Southern Ontario," i.e. everything from London to wherever civilization drops off around Peterborough, gets close to 8 million, but that's a reach.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Canadian gov't will block it, in order to protect the Canadian game.

With the issues the CFL had this year, I'm wondering how long there would be a Canadian game to protect.

Unlikely to be soon, but I wonder how much damage cancelling the season will have long-term?

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

With the issues the CFL had this year, I'm wondering how long there would be a Canadian game to protect.

Unlikely to be soon, but I wonder how much damage cancelling the season will have long-term?

I think they might be able to pull it out. This next year is going to be dicey for the future of the league, but I think they'll pull it out.

IF the CFL does fall though, I do think Toronto might get a team of their own. But no way unless that happens first.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived