Next city to get an NFL team

Sebastianm

Rather than everyone simply rattling off the names of cities that they've heard of, how about providing some actual reasoning behind your choices?  This thread has been done 20 times, and all 20 it's just "Birmingham!" "why?" "Because".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking San Antonio just because Portland has already had groups trying to quash building a baseball stadium. Jerry Jones has said he would support a team coming to San Antonio so the only major hurdle is if they would want to play a few holdover seasons in the Alamodome. Other than that, Toronto could be attractive if worse comes to worst for the CFL. Idk if any team would want to play in the Skydome for a few seasons so that could be a hindrance

I don't know if the Rogers Centre is able to easily switch from baseball to football now because the Blue Jays reno'ed the field once the Argos moved to BMO Field. I also want to say that I read somewhere that Rogers is just strictly baseball now with the work that the Jays put in, but that can't be true because other strictly baseball stadiums can make football work to varying degrees.

I also don't know if the NFL would really like a new team moving into a 39 year-old baseball stadium.

Besides, Toronto hasn't been a good football market. But it would be peak-Toronto for them to support a hypothetical NFL team.

IbjBaeE.png

22 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

Is there any city in North America that would kick in over $750 million to help finance a stadium for an NFL team? $750 million is what the Raiders got for their stadium so that's now the jumping off point.

Not at this point.  I would not be surprised if some cities become a bit more frugal in terms of stadiums and arenas due to economies affected by a pandemic.  

If there's a team this decade that will move, I'm gonna guess the Tennessee Titans.

Nashville right now has the smallest urban population of any 3 sport market (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS are the 5 major leagues). Even though the Preds lost about $11 mil last year according to Forbes, they are so beloved in Nashville that it's hard to see them moving. And their MLS team just became a thing, so I doubt they'd pull the plug so soon. That leaves the Titans.

As for what cities are options for relocation, the following cities are the only ones with even a remote chance of landing an NFL team:

Portland

San Diego

San Antonio

OKC

Virginia Beach / Norfolk

NYC

Chicago

Considering another NYC team would owe the Giants and Jets a large chunk of change for territorial rights, that is very unlikely to happen, especially with no viable stadium. And out of the other options, Portland and San Diego both haven't shown much willingness at all to building a new stadium.

I would love to see an NFL team in the Virginia Beach / Norfolk area. It would need a stadium, but just a few years ago Virginia Beach was so close to approving a new arena until that fell apart at the last second. I hope they get a chance in one of the major sports soon.

Finally, even though I'm very biased, I think a second Chicago team would do great. We support the Cubs and Sox well in baseball (people love to rip on Sox fans, but there are actually a crap-ton of them). We are the third-largest market in the country by any metric. Plus, many people here are sick of the Bears' constant ineptitude. An even halfway-decent AFC team in Chicago could be a huge hit.

54 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

If there's a team this decade that will move, I'm gonna guess the Tennessee Titans.

Nashville right now has the smallest urban population of any 3 sport market (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS are the 5 major leagues). Even though the Preds lost about $11 mil last year according to Forbes, they are so beloved in Nashville that it's hard to see them moving. And their MLS team just became a thing, so I doubt they'd pull the plug so soon. That leaves the Titans.

As for what cities are options for relocation, the following cities are the only ones with even a remote chance of landing an NFL team:

Portland

San Diego

San Antonio

OKC

Virginia Beach / Norfolk

NYC

Chicago

Considering another NYC team would owe the Giants and Jets a large chunk of change for territorial rights, that is very unlikely to happen, especially with no viable stadium. And out of the other options, Portland and San Diego both haven't shown much willingness at all to building a new stadium.

I would love to see an NFL team in the Virginia Beach / Norfolk area. It would need a stadium, but just a few years ago Virginia Beach was so close to approving a new arena until that fell apart at the last second. I hope they get a chance in one of the major sports soon.

Finally, even though I'm very biased, I think a second Chicago team would do great. We support the Cubs and Sox well in baseball (people love to rip on Sox fans, but there are actually a crap-ton of them). We are the third-largest market in the country by any metric. Plus, many people here are sick of the Bears' constant ineptitude. An even halfway-decent AFC team in Chicago could be a huge hit.

Memphis. They already played there. They don't have to change the name. For comparison, the Metro area is a little large than NOLA, which would also have an NBA and NFL team.

Even though I think New York could support 4 teams in basically every major sport, the days of moving teams into already established markets have passed, I'm afraid.

Also, the Chicago metro area has shrunk slightly since the 2010 census, the only top 25 metro area to do so. The 4 behind them (DFW, Houston, DC, South Florida) have all had double digit growth percentage-wise. Chicago itself has also shrunk since the census, the only city in the top 20 to do so. Houston will likely surpass Chicago by 2025.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Rather than everyone simply rattling off the names of cities that they've heard of, how about providing some actual reasoning behind your choices?  This thread has been done 20 times, and all 20 it's just "Birmingham!" "why?" "Because".

The Birmingham example feels like something out of the 70's or 80's when every Southern city was apparently going to be the next big thing. Maybe the people making that example were frozen for several decades and just woke up and despite knowing how to use a message board, never googled Birmingham's population and financial status.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Memphis. They already played there. They don't have to change the name. For comparison, the Metro area is a little large than NOLA, which would also have an NBA and NFL team.

Speaking of ideas from many decades ago. I would love this, and I even did it in a Madden franchise just cause, but not gonna happen.

With Los Angeles being tied up finally, there's really not a whole lot of cities that appear worthwhile. That's why most of the suggestions are international (Toronto and London), or weird and out of date (Birmingham and Memphis). To actually answer the question, we could start with looking at the top metropolitan areas with no NFL representation. So in the top 20, you have:

17. San Diego

20. St. Louis

Two cities that probably aren't enthused by trying to get a new NFL team right now. So probably nobody.

Only way I can even see expansion occur in the near future is the CFL collapsing completely. And then it would be limited to 4 expansion slots and that probably gets Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver based on market size with the 4th going to San Antonio as that's the only US market I can see the NFL expanding to. And even that is very unlikely IMO.

And, this would necessitate the NFL going to six divisions of six teams each. So, here's my attempt.

New AFC East

Buffalo

New England

Miami

New York Jets

Jacksonville

Indianapolis 

New AFC Central

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Cincinnati 

Baltimore

Tennessee 

Houston

New AFC West

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles 

Denver

Vancouver

San Antonio

New NFC East

Washington

Dallas

Philadelphia

NY Giants

Montreal

Toronto

New NFC Central

Green Bay

Chicago

Detroit

Minnesota

Tampa Bay

Carolina

New NFC West

Los Angeles

Seattle

San Francisco 

Arizona

Atlanta

New Orleans

And now I'm reminded of just how little geographical sense the divisions made pre-2002.

I'm really surprised Brockway didn't make a run at the Raiders, even if just to stick it to North Haverbrook.  We all know Jerry Jones would never allow a team in Ogdenville so I guess they're out.

latest?cb=20101204221838

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

San Diego and Oakland.

Please explain why you feel Oakland will be one of the next cities to get an NFL team.

Another question to ask is whether any current NFL cities could support an additional franchise. Right now, only LA and New York metro areas are home to two NFL teams.

Like baseball, could Chicago support two NFL franchises? Could San Francisco/San Jose/Santa Clara support another franchise (maybe one that's silver and black lol)? Vegas?

I'd say Seattle could, but there's also big-time NCAA football here too, plus the new Kraken and that may be just about enough for the market until the Sonics come back.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've long said that legal and financial hurdles be damned (yeah... I know), Philadelphia would have been a great place for a struggling baseball franchise to relocate to (Athletics???) but that was before the WFC year and subsequent run of success that locked the formerly apathetic younger generation in.

The thing is - every idiot that's suggesting SAN DIEGO! and most other cities has to realize that cities are hemorrhaging money right now.  Unemployment leads to fewer tax dollars collected, more overtime owed to municipal services, hikes in property taxes and every other taxable thing, and service cuts all across the board.  The last thing that any city should even consider is a tax-payer-funded palace for a sports team that's immune from all of these horrible things that many residents are dealing with.

Many of us (well, the actual adults here) have been extremely fortunate to be in positions where we can work remotely and (mental-health issues aside) look at this as an "inconvenience" rather than something that's got us on food stamps and forcing us out of our homes.  The fact is that there are many that are experiencing that reality, where even the basic necessities needed to support a family are inaccessible.  While we all know that governments don't usually care about optics, in this unique case, any handout to a pro team could (and should) cause a violent backlash against city hall.

TL;DR - the pandemic has killed any relocation talks for years, and only fools don't get that.

Archived