Houston Dynamo (MLS) & Houston Dash (NWSL) rebranding.

BrySmalls

7 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Houston Dynamo. However, if there is to be a name change, go back that city's NASL identity, Houston Hurricane. Both teams wore orange and orange should remain. Stay the heck away from generic Euro names.

I remember when DC United chose that name to stand out. Houston's name does that already, no need to change it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not sure that was really the reason....

I meant to say they were meant to stand out from the US names like Columbus Crew and Kansas City Wizards, not traditional soccer names like Manchester United or West Ham United.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/06/how-dc-united-and-san-jose-clash-got-their-names-and-original-look

During a lunch with his US Soccer partner colleagues, while talking about options for the name, someone in their employ blurted out, “Well, why don’t you just call it United? That’s what all the soccer teams are called.” Though there was certainly more to the team’s branding than this single moment of snark, the group tried out the sound of D.C. United in that moment. Payne added it the list of possible names, and it eventually won out over candidates like Justice, Force, and Spies.

I can't believe the name Spies was even considered!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Can I just say I love early MLS's use of weird greens? Always liked Colorado in forest green. Dallas using "day-old guacamole" green on their shirts. San Jose somehow managing dark green, light aqua and pale highlighter yellow-ish green all on the same shirt.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On DCU, remember that Kevin Payne was running the show for them in the early days, and he was kind of the only traditionalist in the room full of opportunist (but soccer-clueless) team execs and a very strange era of apparel company designers.

Always worth re-reading SI's longform oral history on the birth of MLS once or twice a year, for the laughs: https://www.si.com/longform/2015/mls/index.html

PAYNE: They wanted looks that were reflective of skateboard culture. They were very taken with the idea that this was a counterculture sport, whereas my feeling was exactly the opposite—this was the most traditional of sports. People in the United States liked what they saw overseas.

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

On DCU, remember that Kevin Payne was running the show for them in the early days, and he was kind of the only traditionalist in the room full of opportunist (but soccer-clueless) team execs and a very strange era of apparel company designers.

Always worth re-reading SI's longform oral history on the birth of MLS once or twice a year, for the laughs: https://www.si.com/longform/2015/mls/index.html

I could have sworn that Mitchell and Ness were supposed to re-introduce the original team jerseys at some point this year. F* You pandemic! When I went to their site the only thing I can find for Columbus is a ladies t-shirt. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/08/major-league-soccer-unveils-plans-25th-season-celebration-2020

17 minutes ago, Digby said:

Can I just say I love early MLS's use of weird greens? Always liked Colorado in forest green. Dallas using "day-old guacamole" green on their shirts. San Jose somehow managing dark green, light aqua and pale highlighter yellow-ish green all on the same shirt.

That Dallas Burn shirt was one of my favorites

20 Years: FC Dallas jerseys

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is also a league that uses expansion fees as a way to prop up league operations, with a bunch of people hoping these clubs will be worth something one day. The bubble is going to burst one day.

That's not actually true, though.

It is the case that MLS as a league shows a loss on paper.  But most clubs turn a profit.  Even though those clubs are making huge investments in infrastructure, from free youth academies to training facilities.  These owners aren't spending their money because the business isn't a sound investment; they're spending money in the short term to make more in the long.  

And in the meantime, the league is quite happy to insist they're losing money on paper, because it helps them at collective bargaining time.  But don't confuse that with actually losing money.

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I meant to say they were meant to stand out from the US names like Columbus Crew and Kansas City Wizards, not traditional soccer names like Manchester United or West Ham United.

Po-tay-toh, po-tah-toh.

I can't believe that "spies" was considered, either.  But it's still better than "Force" or "Justice".  Hell, "Spies" is better than "Clash", "Mutiny" or "Rhythm".  :lol:

31 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I could have sworn that Mitchell and Ness were supposed to re-introduce the original team jerseys at some point this year. F* You pandemic! When I went to their site the only thing I can find for Columbus is a ladies t-shirt. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/08/major-league-soccer-unveils-plans-25th-season-celebration-2020

That Dallas Burn shirt was one of my favorites

Wonder if pandemic economic shock put that on hold; on the other hand, feel like that would be a good niche revenue stream that would still run, since all the in-person ones are not right now.

I've assumed true throwbacks are out the window due to the fractured nature of early MLS kit deals, but maybe not? It was pretty disappointing to see the lack of throwback inspiration in this year's crop of new shirts. New England did okay, I guess. DCU and Red Bulls barely get credit. But even that's more than the rest -- would've been nice to see San Jose get weird, and SKC with a rainbow element somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

an't believe that "spies" was considered, either.  But it's still better than "Force" or "Justice".  Hell, "Spies" is better than "Clash", "Mutiny" or "Rhythm".  :lol:

It works for teams like New Orleans or Nashville, but it didn't fit Chicago. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, Digby said:

Wonder if pandemic economic shock put that on hold; on the other hand, feel like that would be a good niche revenue stream that would still run, since all the in-person ones are not right now.

I've assumed true throwbacks are out the window due to the fractured nature of early MLS kit deals, but maybe not? It was pretty disappointing to see the lack of throwback inspiration in this year's crop of new shirts. New England did okay, I guess. DCU and Red Bulls barely get credit. But even that's more than the rest -- would've been nice to see San Jose get weird, and SKC with a rainbow element somewhere.

Throwing everyone into that EQT template didn't help. If the only rule was that there had to be three stripes somewhere you would have had better designs since the original adidas teams did a great job of using three stripes other than in their normal locations. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 9/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, MJWalker45 said:

It works for teams like New Orleans or Nashville, but it didn't fit Chicago. 

:blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_blues

https://www.complex.com/music/house-music-history

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Soul-Music-American-Life/dp/0252062590

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/chi-chicagodays-gospelmusic-story-story.html

It fits Chicago as much (if not more) than any other city in the country.  The cities you mention are associated with one style of music each; Chicago has been responsible for several.  Chicago is just big enough to be known for other things as well.

Of course it fits Chicago. It's just a stupid name for a sports team.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I think that entire mid-90s era is best encapsulated by the rise of two things:

1. Eddie Bauer

2. SUVs

Best demonstrated by this:

s-l1000.jpg

And, as you said, the coloring choices of teams like this:

Colorado+Rapids+17.jpg

4N253JELQIUIBVLWPQZ4PG5H3A.jpg

The navy era across all sports isn't too far removed from this either.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

It is the case that MLS as a league shows a loss on paper.  But most clubs turn a profit.  Even though those clubs are making huge investments in infrastructure, from free youth academies to training facilities.  These owners aren't spending their money because the business isn't a sound investment; they're spending money in the short term to make more in the long.  

And in the meantime, the league is quite happy to insist they're losing money on paper, because it helps them at collective bargaining time.  But don't confuse that with actually losing money.

Ah, that makes sense. I knew there was a lot of book cooking (like in all sports), but I'm glad that the clubs individually turn a profit. It's just that after all the "ponzi scheme" comments and realizing that the league loses money/has undergone rapid expansion with exorbitant fees, I got to thinking it was a financial scam. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

More people should have been like Payne/listened to Payne.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

1. Eddie Bauer

2. SUVs

Best demonstrated by this:

Ha! I hadn't made the connection with the navy era, but you're right, this was a nice variation for the outdoorsy crowd. I guess not too many other teams went that route -- Dallas Stars maybe -- perhaps it would've been more popular in the sports world if we put teams in the Aspen, Lake Tahoe, and Stowe type towns of the world.

(Incidentally -- I didn't have the Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, but in college I did own its knockoff cousin in the same color scheme, a Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition; it did not age well 10 years in.)

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ah, that makes sense. I knew there was a lot of book cooking (like in all sports), but I'm glad that the clubs individually turn a profit. It's just that after all the "ponzi scheme" comments and realizing that the league loses money/has undergone rapid expansion with exorbitant fees, I got to thinking it was a financial scam. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

MLS possibly having to open their books is part of what helped the Crew stay put. The previous owner going out of his way to do absolutely below the bare minimum with the stadium amenities despite having the budget to take care of things like replacing light bulbs and broken stall doors would look ridiculous if the league had to prove they made more than they said they did. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

MLS possibly having to open their books is part of what helped the Crew stay put. The previous owner going out of his way to do absolutely below the bare minimum with the stadium amenities despite having the budget to take care of things like replacing light bulbs and broken stall doors would look ridiculous if the league had to prove they made more than they said they did. 

And one of the reasons why Art Modell had to leave the Browns name and logos behind in Cleveland.  Sports leagues will do anything to keep from opening their books.  The irony there is that we know more about the NFL's finances than any other league's, since they're legally required to inform each Packers shareholder.

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It was the Gap Decade, and teams were desperate for color schemes that could be paired with khaki slacks.

Every single royal blue and gold team in pro sports changed their colors, most to navy, so they could sell more merchandise.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

MLS owners are very happy operating in the red year-in and year-out because their franchise values are skyrocketing. When the league expansion fees are in the hundreds of millions of dollars, owners are gaining equity simply by having a team and are happy paying out a loss every year.

You could make the argument that MLS clubs should be investing much more money in salaries and infrastructure in relation the amount of growth in their franchise values, but that's a topic for the Sports In General forum. 

I hope the team keeps orange and light blue, but other than that, I don't think I would miss the if they chose to change the name or crest.

Archived