XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

XFL going into overtime for the very first time. 🍿

EDIT: Overtime was a bit of a letdown because Vegas didn't do squat -- but still, this "shootout" method or OT is 100000x better than what NCAAF does

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

Houston pro football being played in an outdated, gloomy dome feels so right.

It's actually in better shape than the Superdome, but yeah it is a bit dark in there at times. IT's actually up to date, with the exception of the luxury suites. It's a 30 year old building designed for a team that never arrived, so the fact it's remained in use since then is amazing. 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:46 PM, GDAWG said:

Apparently, Jack Coan is coming back.  

They should have left him on the bench. Or just have him run the 2 minute offense the whole game. Too many times on third down he didn't even attempt to make a pass to a receiver. He just threw the ball out of bounds  instead. Playcalling on the goal line is still crap too.  

On 4/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, Cujo said:

XFL going into overtime for the very first time. 🍿

EDIT: Overtime was a bit of a letdown because Vegas didn't do squat -- but still, this "shootout" method or OT is 100000x better than what NCAAF does

I believe the USFL will be using the same OT rules as well. It does suck that if the offense commits a foul they basically lose the play, but that's what would happen on a play in regulation so it makes sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Sea Dragons vs. DC Defenders:  Oh man, what a game.  Defense wasn't much of a factor, but there were some exciting fumbles and a tipped pick to keep it spicy.  Crowd was loud, back and forth between two very good teams, broadcast was sharp.  Shame Seattle couldn't convert at the end, but still, damn fun game.
  • Brahmas vs. Roughnecks:  Poor Jack Coan.  Guy got the absolute religion beaten out of him, made some bad plays, and probably had one of those moments after the game in the locker room where he pondered many of his life choices that led him to this place.
  • Vipers vs. Battlehawks:  Tiano with a gutsy game for St. Louis, and the Vipers, to their credit, played very well until overtime.  Their own coach screwed his defense over with the sideline penalty, lol.  Battlehawks remain fun.
  • Guardians vs. Renegades:  Orlando sucks.  Arlington also is mostly garbage.  Guardians going for one at the end earned boos from the, like, 40 people who showed up to support them.  Even when they get the ball back, Dormady can't do anything with it.  What a disaster.

Big games next week.  Sea Dragons/Battlehawks should be awesome.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

One thing they need to do better next year is scheduling. I know places had previously scheduled events, so they need to get in there and set dates early. This multi-weeks on the road has hurt some attendance. If San Antonio had a home game again in week 3, or even week 4, they would have drawn closer to what they did opening night, even with a 1-1 or 1-2 record. No home game for 3 weeks plus a late Sunday night game and 1-3 record killed attendance week 5. And all this led to another poor showing on a Sunday afternoon in week 8. When they're away for so long and not playing well, it gives fans time to decide not to go watch. This is not the NFL. They can't afford to let that happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, McCall said:

One thing they need to do better next year is scheduling. I know places had previously scheduled events, so they need to get in there and set dates early. This multi-weeks on the road has hurt some attendance. If San Antonio had a home game again in week 3, or even week 4, they would have drawn closer to what they did opening night, even with a 1-1 or 1-2 record. No home game for 3 weeks plus a late Sunday night game and 1-3 record killed attendance week 5. And all this led to another poor showing on a Sunday afternoon in week 8. When they're away for so long and not playing well, it gives fans time to decide not to go watch. This is not the NFL. They can't afford to let that happen.

Not having the same quarterback start two games in a row over the last 6 weeks didn't help either. I was hoping to see a 50/50 of Houston and San Antonio fans, but it was closer to 65/35 for the Brahmas. There was a ton of traffic with other events near the stadium, so I was hoping some people might check out the game while they were downtown. I did get free parking because a local church uses a parking garage for it's services, so that was good.  Saturday is probably their last chance to get a win, but their two best RB's will be out and I wonder how quickly they'll pull the hook on Coan if Lynch has a minimal understanding of the playbook. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

DC has had a great showing all through this and the last XFL. I don't know if this is how it works anymore, but you'd think with this strength of fan support, the market would have to be on the radar to land an NFL franchise one of these days.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • WOAH 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

DC has had a great showing all through this and the last XFL. I don't know if this is how it works anymore, but you'd think with this strength of fan support, the market would have to be on the radar to land an NFL franchise one of these days.

Lets get the NFL to DC and St Louis.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Signature intentionally left blank

Sea Dragons v. Battlehawks:  Hell of a showing for the Sea Dragons.  DiNucci has a lot of guts, and I enjoyed him laying his shoulder into a defender on his designed touchdown run.  Seattle's gotta get into the playoffs, man.  They're one of the funnest teams in this tiny league.

Defenders v. Renegades:  The alternating pick-sixes by Men With Glorious Dreads was a highlight.  Joe Powell's incredible mane blessed the DC fans in attendance, even if it was called back (somewhat unfairly, IMO).  De'veon Smith impressed, as did the quantity of shirtless Defender fans in the crowd.  The "IF YA SMEEEELLLLL WHAT THE XFL IS COOKIN'!" call was just terrible.

Guardians v. Brahmas:  Another Guardians game, another game where Dormady gets planted into the turf every other snap.  Two bad teams put together some game tape with nothing to play for, and it was entertaining.  The fake punt was fantastic, good close contest.

Vipers v. Roughnecks:  The Roughnecks uniforms are so, so awful.  Threw a ton of bad design ideas into a blender and signed off on the tragic output.  Gradient numbers, split helmet, flag helmet, helmet numbers, shoulder yokes, unconventional font, etc.  Gross.  There was a game played, sure, but nothing impressed.  Mutual incompetence was exploited by both defenses.  

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So we have 4 teams playing for 2 spots on the last day of the season. That should be pretty fun. San Antonio are still alive, but they're playing the best team in the league. Fiesta starts this week and it'd be pretty nice to see the Brahmas add to the party. Before that though, St. Louis can all but confirm their passage into the layoffs. They are playing Orlando at home and  should be able to win running away, but Orlando has been pretty good at sticking around and annoying the hell out of their opponents. Arlington hosts Houston, and if they win, they simply play each other at Houston the following weekend.  Seattle hosts Vegas and they should win, but the Vipers put up a fight last weekend vs Houston, so maybe Rod Woodson gets out of the way and lets the team play. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Battlehawks scored the most points in an XFL game, won by 25 and STILL need Vegas to beat Seattle tomorrow night IN Seattle because the defense gave up 28 to Orlando. 🤦‍♂️

To be fair, STL deserves to miss the playoffs if they're gonna let Orlando and their third-string QB play it close going into halftime

6uXNWAo.png