Deion's Ravens number

DGivens87

What number will Deion wear in Baltimore? I see him practice in #2 (which is the norm for him), but can he keep #2 during the regular season? I see ALOT of DBs wearing single-digit numbers this pre-season, I know the NFL allowed WRs to wear numbers in the teens, but can DBs wear single-digit numbers?

you see a lot of strange numbers in the preseason, because there are only so many numbers in the 20's for DB's and RB's to share...

for instance, jarrett payton is wearing #4 for the titans, as a RB... but it's only because all the standard numbers are taken. if he does infact make the final roster, he won't keep #4.

in my madden game, i gave #25 to deion, because i think i saw him wear it during a baseball game once, so he obviously can live with it as a number.

however, i'd like to again go on the record as saying that the NFL needs to ditch this rule... let mcgahee wear his beloved #2... let deion wear his beloved #2... let all the young wide recievers wear #1 if they want to. it's not going to cause as much confusion as some people think.

I was under the impression that all this is done for the referees. Like, determining who could be an eligible receiver starting from the offensive line or something like that... no?

Guess not.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I was under the impression that all this is done for the referees. Like, determining who could be an eligible receiver starting from the offensive line or something like that... no?

Guess not.

for the love of god, pcgd.... that sig is HUGE. i'm on dialup right now, and it damn near killed my browser. how big is that? a 4 meg animated gif? :) this forum needs a sig size limit, as in KB, and not dimensions.

but back on topic... i doubt the refs would confuse benji olson with tyrone calico... if the number is the only difference between linemen and recievers that the refs can notice, then the NFL is in trouble :)

a center and a reciever are easily discernable, regardless of number :)

yeah, but they deal with it in HS and college...

For the most part, in high school and college players wear position-appropriate numbers. The only positions where numbers really matter are linebackers/offensive line. Numbers 50-79 and 90-99 are reserved for those positions. You won't see too many offensive line players wearing numbers in the 50s, usually it's between 60-79. And 90-99 is almost always defense.

There are exceptions, and that's why the ref will announce "player # so-and-so reporting as an eligible receiver", Most of the time, they only go in the backfield as an extra blocker or as a running back.

Then again, I do remember Warren Sapp #99 and Mike Vrabel #50 both catching TD passes.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

a center and a reciever are easily discernable, regardless of number :)

But what about the difference between a Tight End and a Center or Tackle, a Tight End is eligible down field Centers/Guards/Tackles are not. Refs have to make split decisions on penalties like ineligible man downfield.

If numbers were left to players discretion, why not give all of your lineman numbers in the 30's 80's etc so they can get a few more yards downfield early to block for a screen pass. Then change the numbers before each game to keep the refs guessing.

There's nothing wrong with the way the league has set up the numbering system. It's not like the McGahee #21 jerseys aren't selling here in Buffalo because he wore a different one in college. Besides doesn't the fact that he wears a different number in Buffalo make his #2 Miami Hurricane jersey all that more attractive to fans and collectors?

Alright! A subject I know something about!

The explanations below are the traditional explanations for who gets what number. As that is changing, I don't know how accurate they'l be.

1-19 - QB, K and P

20-49 - CB, HB, and FB

50-59 - LB

60-79 and 90-99 - OT, G, C, DT, and DE

80-89 - WR and TE

With Minnesota's Kleinsasser being moved to a TE/FB, he's tossed the first big wrench into the system with TEs now having FB #s.

WRs have been given #s from 10-19 when there were too many to use just 80s.

Personally, I think that WRs should be given numbers like 01, 02, 03, and so on. That way, it is still unique and doesn't tie up more numbers for other positions.

:)

If the only concern about going away from the numbering system is for referees to tell who is what position, then how about doing what the old WFL considered ...

different color pants for different positions.

(I think they tried this in pre-season but never in an official game.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I think the 90s are reserved for defensive players -- linemen or linebackers. Linemen (on O or D) are either 50-79 or 60-79. Linebackers are 50-59 or 90-99.

As for Kleinsasser, recall that Raiders tight end Todd Christensen wore 46, because he started out as a running back. On the other hand, there was the Chargers tight end-turned-running back Rod Bernstine, who wore 82 even after his switch to running back. So it appears to be based on in which position you started.

Packers-2.png

Looking at the roster on the Ravens' website, Deion is not listed yet. Anthony Wright already has #2 (not that the NFL would let Deion wear it in a regular season game) and Chris McAllister wears #21. For those who inquired, #24 (Deion's number with the Braves) is unassigned.

Sanders chooses to flaunt his age

Deion Sanders has picked No. 37 for his Baltimore Ravens jersey, according to a Baltimore Sun report. The erstwhile superstar turned 37 last month.

Unable to get his customary No. 21 because Pro Bowl cornerback Chris McAlister wears it, Sanders chose a number with personal significance.

prime_sapp.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived