Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Big Mac, Diablos is not in consideration right now for El Paso's new moniker. Sun Dogs, Desert Gators, Chihuahuas, Buckaroos, and Aardvarks are the five pitiful finalists the team owners selected.

They hinted at the final mascot choice yesterday.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/latestnews/ci_24307856

Sun Dogs may sound like a made up species of minor league mascot, but it's not. A sun dog is an actual astral phenomena that's befitting of a place that calls itself "Sun City" (hence the Sun Bowl).

strange-types-ice-sundog_63630_600x450.j

I was wondering why they'd move to El Paso when part of the reason they were moving from Tucson was because the Arizona baseball team was more popular; but then I found out UTEP doesn't have baseball... kind of surprising.

I suspect the Rochester Red Wings (AAA Minnesota Twins affiliate) are ditching the solid black jerseys. All of last year's black jerseys were recently put up for auction, including team-issued / non-player worn, which would indicate to me that they're liquidating them. The black jersey was their primary home jersey from 1997-2000 and again from 2005-2010. They were worn as alternate jerseys in '11, '12 and '13, although they were worn more often than the supposed "home" jersey, which is white with black raglan sleeves. I suspect the latter will be their primary home jersey in '14, and they might perhaps add a new alternate jersey, or wear their red BPs as alternate game jerseys, which they've done in the past.

Big Mac, Diablos is not in consideration right now for El Paso's new moniker. Sun Dogs, Desert Gators, Chihuahuas, Buckaroos, and Aardvarks are the five pitiful finalists the team owners selected.

They hinted at the final mascot choice yesterday.http://www.elpasotimes.com/latestnews/ci_24307856

Sun Dogs may sound like a made up species of minor league mascot, but it's not. A sun dog is an actual astral phenomena that's befitting of a place that calls itself "Sun City" (hence the Sun Bowl).strange-types-ice-sundog_63630_600x450.j

I was wondering why they'd move to El Paso when part of the reason they were moving from Tucson was because the Arizona baseball team was more popular; but then I found out UTEP doesn't have baseball... kind of surprising.

The reason why they are moving to El Paso is because the city government agreed to build a stadium. The crazy thing is they demolished the children's science museum and the city hall. You can find the city hall demolition on YouTube if you care to see it.

The ballpark construction has been rather controversial since it required the demolition and the costs have been raising quite quickly since this is a a fast construction deadline of less than one year.

As far as UTEP not having a baseball team, this is due to Title 9 in the 80's. Since football takes up a lot of scholarships and you need an equal amount of female scholarships, UTEP had to drop the program.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

They hinted at the final mascot choice yesterday.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/latestnews/ci_24307856

Sun Dogs may sound like a made up species of minor league mascot, but it's not. A sun dog is an actual astral phenomena that's befitting of a place that calls itself "Sun City" (hence the Sun Bowl).

strange-types-ice-sundog_63630_600x450.j

The Padres wanted to put the team in Escondido, but the city couldn't come up with the money to build a stadium. Thus the move to El Paso.

Well, that's better than anything in the initial release.

We'll have to see how they put the whole identity together, because that first logo sheet has a whole lot of disjointed parts. If they can integrate them as well as in that new (primary?) logo, then it might be successful.