Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Native & current El Pasoan here.

On one hand, I totally understand the naming conventions of minor league baseball. Theyre supposed to be fun, tongue-in-cheek names. EP Chihuahuas fits.

I hate to be THAT guy....but on the other hand I find myself being puzzled by this name. Currently, there is an active push to change the perception of El Paso. One of the most commonly negative perceptions of EP is that it is too "mexican", not "american" enough. The owners of the team, while non-hispanic, have been leading the charge for change. They have donated a tremendous amount of time and money to improving the city (donating $$$ to medical school, UTEP, charities, etc.)

So with that in mind, I am confused as to why they would go with this particular name. If they're actively trying to change the negative perceptions of the city, did they not stop to think that their choice reinforces one of the key ones? I'm all for paying tribute to our roots and heritage, but I strongly feel there are better ways to do this.

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Am I taking it too serious? Are they trying to encourage people to "own" one of the most negative perceptions of the city? Thought?

On one hand, I totally understand the naming conventions of minor league baseball. Theyre supposed to be fun, tongue-in-cheek names. EP Chihuahuas fits.

I hate to be THAT guy....but on the other hand I find myself being puzzled by this name. Currently, there is an active push to change the perception of El Paso. One of the most commonly negative perceptions of EP is that it is too "mexican", not "american" enough. The owners of the team, while non-hispanic, have been leading the charge for change. They have donated a tremendous amount of time and money to improving the city (donating $$$ to medical school, UTEP, charities, etc.)

So with that in mind, I am confused as to why they would go with this particular name. If they're actively trying to change the negative perceptions of the city, did they not stop to think that their choice reinforces one of the key ones? I'm all for paying tribute to our roots and heritage, but I strongly feel there are better ways to do this.

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Am I taking it too serious? Are they trying to encourage people to "own" one of the most negative perceptions of the city? Thought?

No you don't seem to be alone. The prevailing sentiment I'm seeing online and off is very negative toward the name. It's being seen at best as pretty pathetic using a rat dog as a mascot, and at the worst being seen as downright racist and/or backward. Not seeing how they could have screwed this up any more than they did.

That's awful.

Will the games even be in English?

No, and they're going to make sure the mascot is here illegally. Jesus Christ.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The owners of the team are not all non-Hispanic. Alejandra De La Vega Foster is one of the team owners and is integrally involved in MountainStar Sports, the club's ownership group. She was born in El Paso, lived most of her childhood in Juarez, was the former owner and manager of the Cobras de Ciudad Juarez professional soccer team and is president of the company that operates close to 200 Del Rio convenience stores in Juarez and northern Chihuahua. Sure, she is married to billionaire Paul Foster, also one of the team's owners, but if you do an Internet search on her you will see that she is far from being "just" the wife of a billionaire. She is a highly-regarded, successful, intelligent Hispanic woman who understands the unique dynamic of El Paso and the surrounding region.

The owners of the team are not all non-Hispanic. Alejandra De La Vega Foster is one of the team owners and is integrally involved in MountainStar Sports, the club's ownership group. She was born in El Paso, lived most of her childhood in Juarez, was the former owner and manager of the Cobras de Ciudad Juarez professional soccer team and is president of the company that operates close to 200 Del Rio convenience stores in Juarez and northern Chihuahua. Sure, she is married to billionaire Paul Foster, also one of the team's owners, but if you do an Internet search on her you will see that she is far from being "just" the wife of a billionaire. She is a highly-regarded, successful, intelligent Hispanic woman who understands the unique dynamic of El Paso and the surrounding region.

I'm fully aware of Ms. De La Vega. However, it doesn't change my opinion. Actually it makes me even more confused. Whatever really, best of luck to them. I'll spend my disposable income elsewhere.

El Paso Times poll is showing only 11% of respondents like the name. 87% dislike it or think it is offensive. Even with the online skew I don't think that's the auspicious start they were looking for with their new franchise. I wouldn't be surprised in a month if we're talking about a new brand for this team.

The ones who are against it opposed the stadium and/or didn't vote in the first place...Chihuahuas is the PERFECT name for the team.

1. It's a name that stands out; no other team in the USA is called the Chihuahuas.
2. It's a bilingual name, uniting the English and Spanish-speaking fanbases.
3. The chihuahua was ROYALTY back in its heyday.

4. It's the ULTIMATE underdog (pun intended? You decide)...though it's the smallest breed of dog, it exudes loyalty and courage like the rest of them, and is determined to accomplish whatever's set before it. Sounds like something you'd want 'em to look up to!

I'm just praying this doesn't turn out like the New Hampshire Primaries...it was an AWESOME name, with a PERFECT visual package, but a bunch of disgruntled locals didn't like it, so it got changed to the uber-bland FisherCats.

bYhYmxh.png

The ones who are against it opposed the stadium and/or didn't vote in the first place...Chihuahuas is the PERFECT name for the team.

2. It's a bilingual name, uniting the English and Spanish-speaking fanbases.

Well, I voted for the stadium. While I see the logic, I still strongly feel there were better names.

As far as it being a bilingual name, that is true. However, the chihuahua dog, for whatever reason, is not something Hispanics like being associated with. (See Taco Bell Chihuahua). Hearing my mostly hispanic co-workers reaction has been fairly eye opening.

I understand -- and endorse! -- the idea of Minor-League Whimsy, but I feel as if Triple A calls for a little bit more gravity. Stuff like the Norfolk Tides or Fresno Grizzlies is perfect AAA branding to me: just a little bit more going on than a Major League team would have, but still somewhat serious. If I had to guess from the name, the city size, and the tired-ass Brandiose cartoonishness, I would guess that the "El Paso Chihuahuas" were in the same league as the Eugene Emeralds. I'd be wrong!

The S/W-B Red Barons were another great one, by the way. RIP.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I understand -- and endorse! -- the idea of Minor-League Whimsy, but I feel as if Triple A calls for a little bit more gravity. Stuff like the Norfolk Tides or Fresno Grizzlies is perfect AAA branding to me: just a little bit more going on than a Major League team would have, but still somewhat serious. If I had to guess from the name, the city size, and the tired-ass Brandiose cartoonishness, I would guess that the "El Paso Chihuahuas" were in the same league as the Eugene Emeralds. I'd be wrong!

The S/W-B Red Barons were another great one, by the way. RIP.

Tell that to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs...

bYhYmxh.png

Them to. Plus, Chihuahuas just doesn't sound good as a team name. The El Paso Chihuahuas. "Wanna go to a Chihuahuas game?" Doesn't exactly roll off the tounge very well. Sun Dogs would've been a nice Triple-A name. Still a little minor league, but not too minor league.

I understand -- and endorse! -- the idea of Minor-League Whimsy™, but I feel as if Triple A calls for a little bit more gravity. Stuff like the Norfolk Tides or Fresno Grizzlies is perfect AAA branding to me: just a little bit more going on than a Major League team would have, but still somewhat serious. If I had to guess from the name, the city size, and the tired-ass Brandiose cartoonishness, I would guess that the "El Paso Chihuahuas" were in the same league as the Eugene Emeralds. I'd be wrong!

This. All of this right here, especially the last couple of sentences.

This is a wonderful Brandiose logo. Unfortunately, it's not a very good El Paso logo. For better or for worse, we can all tell a Brandiose logo at this point, and it's because they are all possessing extremely similar graphic and artistic styles. A little variety would be nice.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

"Sun Dogs" is indeed another name with a modifier in it, part of that bedrock of minor-league sports nomenclature, and with "El Paso" it adds up to four words (bad), but the explanation of the actual sun dog phenomenon helps it a little. Not a lot, but a little.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like the Chihuahuas name very much but it is not due to racism. It's just too immature and it doesn't reflect the state of Texas very well. I really don't know why they didn't considered calling them the Aggies, Ranchers, or Stampede. All those names are far more aggressive, more professional, and easier to identify with Texans than the Chihuahuas. Desert Gators and Sun Dogs are just too generic for me and they don't bring any local pride. The logos though are very nice and solid looking.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Yeah but it's not like El Paso has the only minor league team in Texas. There's an entire league deducted to Texas, so I don't know why you're worried about that side of things.

They'll rebrand in two years. This is just atrocious.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm one who doesn't like to chime in too much on offensive identities, but I can certainly see why some find the Chihuahuas identity a bit offensive. However, on the other hand, I can also see it as a bit of a stretch. It does not actually portray the mascot as a Mexican stereotype, it can simply be considered an implication. Personally, I just think its a stupid identity. I understand that minor league teams traditionally use goofy names, but Chihahuas is just weak.