Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

On 2/16/2024 at 9:57 AM, McCall said:

These two logos look like they were done by the same artist; the top one, as an experienced, top-of-the-industry branding and identity artist, and he bottom one, when he was 5 and just beginning to show signs of his future talents.

LEGENDS_headers-750x610.png54def587-b713-437c-b6b1-6e24c4161f17_2.png?auto=compress,format&w=640&q=75

Believe it or not, Brandiose is responsible for the bottom logo. Despite their reputation for designing goofy logos for MiLB teams, I thought the logos they did for the Legends 11 years ago were pretty good.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:57 AM, McCall said:

These two logos look like they were done by the same artist; the top one, as an experienced, top-of-the-industry branding and identity artist, and he bottom one, when he was 5 and just beginning to show signs of his future talents.

LEGENDS_headers-750x610.png54def587-b713-437c-b6b1-6e24c4161f17_2.png?auto=compress,format&w=640&q=75

The simplest explainer on the difference in finished product between Studio Simon and Brandiose. Dan Simon has such a sophisticated touch with even the most playful brands. Rarely misses and illustrates the quality vs quantity debate. Now that business has seemingly slowed down for Brandiose (unless City Name/Alleged Regional Food fad somehow continues), I look forward to seeing how/if they can step up their game with a little more time for craft.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Krona said:

The simplest explainer on the difference in finished product between Studio Simon and Brandiose. Dan Simon has such a sophisticated touch with even the most playful brands. Rarely misses and illustrates the quality vs quantity debate. Now that business has seemingly slowed down for Brandiose (unless City Name/Alleged Regional Food fad somehow continues), I look forward to seeing how/if they can step up their game with a little more time for craft.

Brandiose possesses the potential and talent to step up their game. For many years, they focused on quantity over quality. And, as you mentioned, now that business has slowed, they should be able to demonstrate their true abilities. And, for what it's worth, I don't fully blame them for their reputation in the designer community. They were paid by their clients to create those absurd logos and brands.

• Like 4

For an example of Good Brandiose, I point to the Traverse City Pit Spitters, which is a magnificent package with a truly clever secondary logo that also looks fully thought through and professionally finished without reaching to justify itself. It's no Sky Carp or RubberDucks, is what I'm saying.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

52 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The absurd logos and brands were made to sell merchandise, not look good. They know what they're doing.

Spot on. They invented a market to sell more design work under the guise of more merch sales. Smart business move, but the quality couldn't keep up. On the positive side, I'm seeing a ton of new names of designers and studios popping up on some of these jobs. That's great news for the industry.

Brandiose definitely has the potential to make a comeback. Their earlier works with brands like the El Paso Chihuahuas and Biloxi Shuckers were truly great. Unfortunately,  the typical elements they've used (googly eyes, muscle flex, teeth grinning), along with the adjective names, got tiresome when shown with later brands like the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Fort Myers Mighty Mussels and so on. Maybe they can capitalize on quality over quantity down the stretch. I think it would be good for them because they clearly have the talent.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

For an example of Good Brandiose, I point to the Traverse City Pit Spitters, which is a magnificent package with a truly clever secondary logo that also looks fully thought through and professionally finished without reaching to justify itself. It's no Sky Carp or RubberDucks, is what I'm saying.

I loved the Pit Spitters identity. Got to go to a few games when in Traverse City. My daughter liked the logo as well and has worn the shirt I got her since then.

Goes with the Cherry industry of the area. The michigan/mitt logo is perfection. The colors/clean look of the uniform. And it doesn't feel forced as all. "Angry Cherries" or something goofy and over-the-top.

2009_traverse_city_pit_spitters-alternat

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:47 PM, ORLMagic86 said:

After an embarrassing year as the Lexington Counter Clocks, the Lexington Legends have returned!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One good way to judge a logo (or uniform/overall identity)--at least in my book--is how well you can theoretically extrapolate it back to a given time and design a logo that feels like a faithful update it; in other words, you create a logo that feels like it's been around for much longer than it actually has. This new Lexington Legends logo feels like it's been--in one form or another--around since the 1960s or 1970s, and the work shows in it.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 6:33 PM, Dynasty said:

Brandiose definitely has the potential to make a comeback. Their earlier works with brands like the El Paso Chihuahuas and Biloxi Shuckers were truly great. Unfortunately,  the typical elements they've used (googly eyes, muscle flex, teeth grinning), along with the adjective names, got tiresome when shown with later brands like the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Fort Myers Mighty Mussels and so on. Maybe they can capitalize on quality over quantity down the stretch. I think it would be good for them because they clearly have the talent.

Heck, their first design on the market was the Clearwater Threshers (they were still Plan B Branding at the time).  An identity that still stands strong 20 years later.

• Like 2

I am...whelmed. It's a good name but the logo is very busy with the dog, gloves, bat, and hat. Also so many colors I am unsure of what color to associate with them. I love the KO bell logo though, it should work on a hat wonderfully. 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

7 hours ago, Green27 said:

I am...whelmed. It's a good name but the logo is very busy with the dog, gloves, bat, and hat. Also so many colors I am unsure of what color to associate with them. I love the KO bell logo though, it should work on a hat wonderfully. 

It's neither great nor bad. Just meh.