Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

11 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

What's Diamond Baseball Holdings' deal? I know they're a subsidy of a private equity firm but is there that much money in buying and then owning a bunch of minor league teams?

I'm not sure why they feel driven to acquire as many teams as possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made an offer to every team in MiLB.

Ballpark Digest: Goodbye Chowdahheads, hello New England Knockouts

The Frontier League's new club in Brockton, Massachusetts has changed nicknames before the team has played a single game.  The new identity pays tribute to Brockton's boxing heritage, which includes being the hometown of professional boxing champions Rocky Marciano and Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

• Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Ballpark Digest: Goodbye Chowdahheads, hello New England Knockouts

The Frontier League's new club in Brockton, Massachusetts has changed nicknames before the team has played a single game.  The new identity pays tribute to Brockton's boxing heritage, which includes being the hometown of professional boxing champions Rocky Marciano and Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

New England Chowdahheads was moronic, but New England Knockouts sounds like promotional copy for a strip club.

"Coming to the Boardroom Cabaret's Platinum Stage... gentlemen, make some noise for your New England Knockouts!!!" 

Frankly, I was shocked that Knockouts wasn't just selected by team ownership from the get-go. The summer collegiate wood bat team that they operate out of the same ballpark in Brockton is dubbed the Rox, a nod to both local boxer Rocco "Rocky Marciano" Marchegiano and the MLB team that plays just under 20 miles away. There's already signage at Campanelli Stadium bearing a Rox logo that features a boxing gloves hanging by their laces from the team's former, stylized word mark. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, in the name of saving a few bucks, the owner doesn't just brand the Knockouts with a similar logo.

They should have named the team the Brockton Shoemakers. The notion that this ball club is going to draw the interest of baseball fans from throughout New England is ridiculous, so why pretend that's the case with its place name? Hell, if you want to play that game, New England Shoemakers makes just as much sense. The entire New England region was home to shoemaking factories in cities and towns including Brockton, Brookfield, Haverhill, Lynn, Marblehead, Marlborough, Natick, Randolph, and Newburyport in Massachusetts; Barrington, Dover, Farmington, and Rochester in New Hampshire; Berwick, Brunswick, Lewiston, and Wilton in Maine.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This move kinda surprised me, but when the opportunity in Columbus GA opened up, it made sense.

I wonder if there's a chance we see an existing Southern League team relocate there, or on an off chance Texas League team, if the existing team cannot get the MLB mandated upgrades in time.  Mississippi hugs that line between the leagues.  

7 hours ago, TBGKon said:

This move kinda surprised me, but when the opportunity in Columbus GA opened up, it made sense.

I wonder if there's a chance we see an existing Southern League team relocate there, or on an off chance Texas League team, if the existing team cannot get the MLB mandated upgrades in time.  Mississippi hugs that line between the leagues.  

I mean San Antonio has been trying for years to get a new ballpark and dont seem to be going anywhere with that. It would suck to lose a market as big as San Antonio but they could be an option to move to Mississippi. But at the same time I feel like they would need a team in Louisiana to bridge the gap between Texas and Mississippi

Signature intentionally left blank

15 hours ago, TBGKon said:

As a resident of Georgia, I kind of like the move. It now puts all of the Braves' minor league affiliates within the state. Hopefully this means we get the return or an update of this awesome identity. 

215sggq4q1h19nzpxzifjy4dk.gif

• Like 5

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I mean San Antonio has been trying for years to get a new ballpark and dont seem to be going anywhere with that. It would suck to lose a market as big as San Antonio but they could be an option to move to Mississippi. But at the same time I feel like they would need a team in Louisiana to bridge the gap between Texas and Mississippi

Midland was another possibility I had heard talked about in the past.  Guess who owns Midland....Diamond Baseball Holdings.  The owner who just moved the AA Braves to Columbus.  A bridge to Mississippi would help, but looking at a map of the Texas League, Jackson/Pearl, MS isn't far out of the footprint.  (Interestingly enough, Jackson, MS was in the Texas League until 1999 when they relocated to Round Rock, who then became Corpus Christi)

2023-Texas-League-Map.jpg?ssl=1

As for Louisiana, there was a report that Baton Rouge was considering some redevelopment to  some of their older stadiums.

Baton Rouge MiLB as part of larger development?

1. My choice for the team's new name would be the Columbus Choppers.  The Braves are moving away from having their affiliates share their nickname, but I still wanted the new name to be a nod to the team and its culture.  In this case, they would be named after a certain motion synonymous with the Braves and their fandom, as well as a salute to nearby Fort Moore and the Army's helicopters that have flown to and from there.

2. Add Waco to the list of cities that could be jockeying for a Texas League team; a feasibility study is currently underway for a potential downtown ballpark, with the issue gaining more and more local support as of late.

• Dislike 1

bYhYmxh.png

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

1. My choice for the team's new name would be the Columbus Choppers.  The Braves are moving away from having their affiliates share their nickname, but I still wanted the new name to be a nod to the team and its culture.  In this case, they would be named after a certain motion synonymous with the Braves and their fandom, as well as a salute to nearby Fort Moore and the Army's helicopters that have flown to and from there.

I don't think emphasizing on the Braves' controversial fan rally is a good idea. But I do believe if they pay a nod to anything, something to the state of Georgia or Columbus itself would be preferrable.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Burmy said:

Could also call them the Chattahoochee Choppers and make the mascot a beaver and they'd already have a new team song from a native Georgian.