Warner Bros. Discovery Logo

TrueYankee26

Hey, some intern somewhere spent like 10 minutes 5 minutes making this, give them some credit.

Edit: oh my god they didn't even center the text why was there no effort put into this at all

Edited by parallaxish
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, parallaxish said:

Hey, some intern somewhere spent like 10 minutes 5 minutes making this, give them some credit.

Edit: oh my god they didn't even center the text why was there no effort put into this at all

Oh great... Now my OCD is acting up🤣🤣

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Dear oh dear.. what on Earth were they thinking with this?

Even if its just a temporary logo, its still pretty bad.

Compare this to the other merged compnay logo from June 1st - Virgin Media and O2 - simply adding the O2 blue to the VM red bow tie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media_O2#/media/File:Virgin_Media_O2.svg

It may not be perfect, but its a thousand times better than this new WBDiscovery logo.

• 10 months later...

Updated logo: 

Discovery-WarnerMedia Merger Closes

It's very much a conciliatory gesture in that it looks like Warner is the senior partner here, but it's actually all the executives who brought you A Moldovan Married Me for a Green CardTwo Dudes Knock Down Your Kitchen Walls, and This Fatass Has Like Nine Kids that are in charge of the new company. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Updated logo: 

It's very much a conciliatory gesture in that it looks like Warner is the senior partner here, but it's actually all the executives who brought you A Moldovan Married Me for a Green CardTwo Dudes Knock Down Your Kitchen Walls, and This Fatass Has Like Nine Kids that are in charge of the new company. 

The top shows on cable are sports, wrestling, and 90 Day Fiance. I don't know where My 600 Lb Life fits in, but probably pretty high up there, to your point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This article is worth reading: https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/att-warnermedia-debt-donald-trump-discovery-john-stankey-jason-kilar-merger-1235226663/

The centerpiece of the event was the unveiling of Xandr — the company’s new platform that was designed to revolutionize the ad business by bringing Facebook-style personalization to TV.

In many ways, Xandr was the fulcrum of the AT&T/Time Warner merger. The idea was that AT&T could combine its scale and customer data with Time Warner’s content to supercharge the value of its TV ads.

Xandr was seen as so vital to the company’s future that its CEO, Brian Lesser, reported directly to Stephenson, and its results would be broken out separately on AT&T’s quarterly statements. Even the name signified its centrality to the telecom’s strategy — invoking Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, the founder of AT&T, and by far the most sacred figure in company lore.

The only problem was, there wasn’t much explanation of how Xandr was supposed to work.

This keeps happening.

This week, the AT&T/Time Warner era will officially come to a close. As Discovery combines with Warner Bros., it will mark an end to one of the most disastrous mergers in media history, perhaps second only to the AOL/Time Warner union in 2000.

Everyone who buys this bloated, sclerotic media conglomerate that is already too big for its own good ultimately regrets it. Well, third time's the charm!

As he took charge, the telco culture he brought from Dallas seemed an awkward fit in Hollywood. Stankey stands at 6-foot-5, and has a booming voice and the ramrod-straight posture of a military leader. He was not attuned to the mores of Hollywood — a world of power lunches, insincere compliments and roiling insecurities all masked by suntans and thousand-watt smiles.

Stankey would sometimes get frustrated with executives who had come up on the creative side, because they were not fluent in the language of Wall Street. And he showed his displeasure.

“The vernacular of the phone company was very, very different,” remembers one former Warner Bros. executive. “Stankey would speak a lot in financial acronyms — ROIs, EPS and all that :censored: — and that’s not really the way that filmmakers or Steven Spielberg talk. Your head would be spinning when you listened to him speak.”

As it was with the AOL merger, not only the company is too big to manage effectively, it's also one that takes itself deathly seriously, but in a show-business way, not a Wall Street way. People just wanna get paid a lot to do cool stuff (which, to be clear, is the way it should be; not everything has to revolve around shareholder value). It'll be interesting to see how the pap merchants from Discovery handle whichever self-important CNN/HBO/TNT/WB types are still around. 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:22 PM, the admiral said:

Updated logo: 

Discovery-WarnerMedia Merger Closes

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped Discovery from the company name in the next few years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Does this mean Discovery+ gets merged into HBO Max? 'cause if so...cool.

Yeah, that's the plan. There was another article in Variety where someone said something like "this will allow us to combine Warner properties such as Game of Thrones and Mare of Easttown with Discovery properties such as Dr. Pimple Popper." It was basically the joke I made but I read it after. 

• LOL 2

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, that's the plan. There was another article in Variety where someone said something like "this will allow us to combine Warner properties such as Game of Thrones and Mare of Easttown with Discovery properties such as Dr. Pimple Popper." It was basically the joke I made but I read it after. 

It's absurd, really. You're right, WB is such a lumbering...thing...it's hard to manage.

My only endgame here is purely selfish. I'm not paying for anymore streaming services, so the more that get folded into the ones I'm already paying for the better.

• Like 2

If they jack up my HBO Max so that I can theoretically stream the archives of Paint Some Neighbor Kid's Bedroom and Then They Cry Because They're on the Spectrum and Hate Change, I'm going to be deeply annoyed and just start pirating old Larry Sanders/Sopranos/Curb eps.

As Eric Bischoff did before me, I recommend the book Fools Rush In by Nina Munk about the doomed and ridiculous AOL Time Warner merger. The impression that you get is that nobody anywhere in Time Warner was really concerned with anything other than what was directly in front of them, which was the right way for everyone to run their separate bailiwicks but really suppressed the entire company's valuation. The CNN people wanted to do the news, the Warner Brothers people wanted to make movies and TV shows, the Braves wanted to win the World Series, the WCW people wanted to put Marcus Bagwell's mom on a forklift.  AOL had the benefit of collecting money without ever producing anything.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...