Grand Rapids Drive rebrand to Grand Rapids Gold

Dilbert

The  G League Grand Rapids Drive (former Detroit Pistons affiliate) have rebranded as the Grand Rapids Gold and are now and affiliate of the Denver Nuggets

spacer.png

Signature intentionally left blank

3 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

The  G League Grand Rapids Drive (former Detroit Pistons affiliate) have rebranded as the Grand Rapids Gold and are now and affiliate of the Denver Nuggets

spacer.png

I wasn't expecting much from the rebrand, but as much as I am relieved to see them not be called the Grand Rapids Nuggets, making a box with your team name inside isn't the most imaginable thing, especially with a team name like Gold. I do find the hidden river in the Rs very clever design though. Just wish they made the whole brand just a bit more unique and grand (no pun intended).

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

3 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

making a box with your team name inside isn't the most imaginable thing, especially with a team name like Gold.

This is a shape of Gold Bar. It's quite boring and creative at the same time.

4r2eer.png

Interesting.  I figured Grand Rapids being affiliated with the Pistons was something I could always take for granted.  I had to look up where Detroit was moving their team to if they were dropping Grand Rapids and it turns out they literally moved them up the street from the Pistons home arena.

Is there anything to this trend of so many teams relocating their G-League teams directly into their home market?

6 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Interesting.  I figured Grand Rapids being affiliated with the Pistons was something I could always take for granted.  I had to look up where Detroit was moving their team to if they were dropping Grand Rapids and it turns out they literally moved them up the street from the Pistons home arena.

Is there anything to this trend of so many teams relocating their G-League teams directly into their home market?

I think to help lower cost and have players closer to the parent team.

The Canton Charge, affiliate with Cavs, are moving to the Cleveland to be closer to the Cavs.

Here's an excerpt from the Charge press release:

"The move to Cleveland State University’s (CSU) Wolstein Center follows a trend in the G League seeing teams continuing to operate much closer to their NBA franchise home venues and training centers. Recent examples of this are present in Washington and Detroit and more than half of the teams in the G League are now located closer than 30 miles from their NBA parent club’s game arenas and training and development facilities. The role and importance of the G League within the NBA development landscape continues to expand as close to 60% of players now in the NBA have played in the G League. Playing in downtown Cleveland achieves a higher level of integration, resources and operational flexibility for the Charge players, staff and front office members based on the location being within several blocks of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse and just eight miles from Cleveland Clinic Courts, the training and player development center for the Cavaliers."

I assume that Grand Rapids will probably move closer to Denver in the next few years.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

18 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Not a move, but the Washington Wizards G League team (Capital City Go-Go) also resides in Washington DC.

Pretty sure both the Lakers and Clippers G League teams are both located in the LA Area.

Knicks and Nets both have G League teams withing the NYC metro area.

Those are the only ones I can think of without checking Google.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

I assume that Grand Rapids will probably move closer to Denver in the next few years.

IIRC the Grand Rapids G League team is independently owned by a group for that area. While it made sense to partner up with the Pistons for years, I'm not sure they'd want to relocate the club out west to be closer to Denver. Think they'd sell before relocating.

25 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

IIRC the Grand Rapids G League team is independently owned by a group for that area. While it made sense to partner up with the Pistons for years, I'm not sure they'd want to relocate the club out west to be closer to Denver. Think they'd sell before relocating.

I agree, they'd sell the team to the parent club and then the parent club will move them.

I just think it will eventually get to that point of all the G-League teams being owned by their parent clubs. But who knows!

spacer.png

On 7/7/2021 at 11:00 PM, panthers_2012 said:

I just think it will eventually get to that point of all the G-League teams being owned by their parent clubs. But who knows!

Didn't the Suns recently get rid of their G League team, selling it to the Pistons? Not sure what they were thinking, but as of right now the immediate future for the Suns looks bright 🤷🏾‍♂️

On 7/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Not a move, but the Washington Wizards G League team (Capital City Go-Go) also resides in Washington DC.

Pretty sure both the Lakers and Clippers G League teams are both located in the LA Area.

Knicks and Nets both have G League teams withing the NYC metro area.

Those are the only ones I can think of without checking Google.

Looking at the team list on wikipedia, the biggest geographic mismatches left are Denver's affiliate being in Grand Rapids, MI and Miami's being in Sioux Falls, SD. The Pelicans come in 3rd with 343 miles being between Birmingham, AL and New Orleans and the Rockets are fourth with 341 miles from Edinburg, TX to Houston.

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Didn't the Suns recently get rid of their G League team, selling it to the Pistons? Not sure what they were thinking, but as of right now the immediate future for the Suns looks bright 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yes, you're correct. The Suns might try to get an expansion team in the near future.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If they don’t go by “Stars” it’s a missed opportunity to align with the parent club

The Jazz already have the Salt Lake City Stars as their G-League club, as a reference to the ABA's Utah Stars if I remember correctly.

the user formerly known as cdclt

It would be weird to me to see Grand Rapids not having a team at all.  Most cities of any decent size have at least a D1 basketball program in town.  Not only must Grand Rapids be one of the biggest cities that doesn't, but they have a long history of supporting minor league basketball going back to the days of the CBA.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:46 PM, Eastport76 said:

Likely Colorado Springs.

My money would be on Loveland or Broomfield. Closer to Denver and a history of minor league sports with decent arenas.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived