NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

Pete Maravich had "Pistol," quotation marks and everything. Nene Hilario became a mononymous "Nene" at some point, like Pele. Yao Ming seems like he did but he didn't, because family name precedes given name in Chinese (and Hungarian, oddly). 

I can't think of any standalone first names in the NFL, just first names as qualifiers for the same surname, like my all-time favorite scenario, Tank Johnson and Todd Johnson, no relation.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the issue is that there are no rules. This appears to be guided exclusively by player preference. And in this era of fabricating personal brands, those hyphenations or the Jr./Sr./III denotations serve as ornaments to athletes seeking attention. 

"Ornaments to athletes seeking attention"? My brother in Christ, it is not that serious. Steve Smith had a kid his name changed to Steve Smith Sr., and he clearly just wanted to mark that on his jersey. These are their names, so I would hope player preference is a significant part of the decision-making process here. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Pete Maravich had "Pistol," quotation marks and everything. Nene Hilario became a mononymous "Nene" at some point, like Pele. Yao Ming seems like he did but he didn't, because family name precedes given name in Chinese (and Hungarian, oddly). 

I can't think of any standalone first names in the NFL, just first names as qualifiers for the same surname, like my all-time favorite scenario, Tank Johnson and Todd Johnson, no relation.

I'm disappointed we didn't get a scenario like that in New England this year. The team has Mac Jones, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones, and Jonathan Jones. If we really wanted to make all of that clear on the NOB, it would be Mac Jones, Mar. Jones, Ja. Jones, and Jo. Jones. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I'm disappointed we didn't get a scenario like that in New England this year. The team has Mac Jones, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones, and Jonathan Jones. If we really wanted to make all of that clear on the NOB, it would be Mac Jones, Mar. Jones, Ja. Jones, and Jo. Jones. 

if the Pats sign Julio and Marvin Jones, Belichick will have enough Infinity Jones to snap half of the NFL out of existence

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • LOL 9

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Japanese does the same with the surname coming first (e.g. he's called Suzuki Ichiro in Japan). I wonder why English-speakers swap them for Japanese but not for Chinese

Also after some searching I found out Vida Blue wore his first name on his jersey sometimes

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Has anyone ever had just their first name on their jersey besides Ichiro?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFtNf3WjptBAAhMfAj_Td DiA0JFdUYAE84OR.png

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Japanese does the same with the surname coming first (e.g. he's called Suzuki Ichiro in Japan). I wonder why English-speakers swap them for Japanese but not for Chinese

Japan is probably a little more willing and able to meet us where we are. Hungarian does the same thing, but unless you're in Hungary, you're not talking about Bartok Bela. Maybe one day, in honor of China, we'll see an official name change to "James LeBron."

• LOL 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Also after some searching I found out Vida Blue wore his first name on his jersey sometimes

So it was Ohtani Shohei when he was in Japan? 

The First Spring of Ichiro - Lookout Landing

Shohei Ohtani is Japan's Babe Ruth. His next stop is the big leagues. -  Sports Illustrated

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Yeah and sometimes Otani Shohei, depending on which phonetic spelling they felt like using

So Ohtani had his surname on his Japan jersey (as with other Japanese players), but Ichiro did not. I wonder what the difference was. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

37 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

Anyone notice that the Colts are using their old word mark in the end zones?

They always were. They never changed it in the end zone. The new wordmark is only for marketing and branding stuff, and was never for the field.

da0Lbhs.png

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Yep, and before the 2020 Olympics they were fine with the Westernized given name then family name but they asked all broadcasters to switch it to family name then given name like is done for Chinese athletes. As far as I know, all obliged (at the very least NBC did).

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Yeah and sometimes Otani Shohei, depending on which phonetic spelling they felt like using

Fun fact: if one were to accurately romanize Shohei's last name, it would be Ootani. Because most English-speaking people reading that would pronounce it as "oo-tani" instead "oh-tani", often times O or Oh is used instead.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's the same long O sound as in Osaka, correct?

Yep! Same character, even.「大」which means "big" or "large". Ohtani's name is written「大谷」meaning "big valley" while Osaka is written as「大阪」meaning "big slope". Lots of Japanese last names are taken from the place that a family lived.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

and in this era of fabricating personal brands, those hyphenations or the Jr./Sr./III denotations serve as ornaments to athletes seeking attention. 

That's 100% all this is.  There's no practical reason for it.  The NOB is for identification only, and I don't need to know that you're Smith IV.  I can tell who you are by your number and the fact that there's not 4 other Smiths that you're related to,  You think it was a coincidence that "RG3" was such a big brand?  It's just doing something because you can. 

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think RG3 is the start of the craziness. Sure there were jr.’s because you had guys kids playing but RG3 is the one who really started the trend of branding your name off being the 4 guy in your family according to ancestry.com who had the name John over the last 1000 years

• Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2