Best helmet in college football?

It's hard to pick any single contender. You have traditional options and modern options, and the fact that many teams switch their look from week to week and rarely repeat the same setup makes it even harder nowadays. In general, though, I would say my top 5 would be:

-Oregon 2020 Rose Bowl: Oregon has had plenty of good and bad options, but my absolute favorite was this one thanks to the setting, the lighting (especially during the daytime and sunset), the overall uniform, and the fact that it was a vast improvement over their first chrome helmet. I'm usually not a fan of straight chrome, but this was magical. 

-Oregon 2015 Rose Bowl: I guess there's just something about Oregon at the Rose Bowl that makes a special combination, and this one was good too. To be fair, their satin apple green shell is such a nice look, no matter the logo, but especially the simple O.

-Nebraska: I'm definitely biased here, but the Huskers have one of the best traditional looks, between the colors, classic design, and the N logo, which might be a bit generic but offers up some nice nostalgia, and works better than the block N. Honorable mention for the gray facemask they pulled out against Oklahoma last year, wouldn't go wrong with this as a full-time look (would help them distinguish themselves from Big Ten rival Wisconsin).

-Ohio State: Traditional design at its finest. There's a reason that this design has been converted into a standard piece of the Ohio State brand athletics-wide. Plus, the buckeye merit decals are one of the most iconic uniform quirks in sports.

-Notre Dame: Plain helmets are usually so boring, but the Irish works for a reason: that beautiful gilded gold paint. Not quite as flashy as chrome, but it has just the right amount of shine to be eye-catching and not obnoxious. 

Honorable mention to the LSU color-shift helmet they wore a couple of years back. Probably one of the coolest helmets for a one-off special uniform I've seen.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

My favorite helmets (I have several)

North Carolina, both the current and throwback version

LSU, though I wish they wore purple jerseys more to complement it

Colorado

Arizona State gold helmet with regular Sparky and maroon facemask

Arizona split stripes with navy facemask

USC

UCLA

Kansas State

Michigan

Maryland red "Terps"

Air Force white helmet/blue facemask

TCU's 2022 purple satin helmet, no stripes, black facemask. 

Honorable mention

Washington State when they go with "Cougars script"

Fresno State's red "Bulldogs"

Texas Tech black throwback with white/red/white stripes

Missouri fauxback with the black shell, white M, and white/gold/white split stripes. 

Indiana's new fauxback helmet with the 90s stripes

Iowa

New Mexico 90s throwback (they wear it about once a year)

South Carolina (the matte black is cool, but I also like the garnet helmet with the circle)

Clemson

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/31/2022 at 5:24 PM, mahnkej said:

Probably Ohio State, since they're so iconic

If you take away tRaDiTiOn, the Buckeyes have a basic af helmet riddled with a clusterfxxk of stickers. I would say they might be the worst, if ignore the fact they're a CFB blue blood.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 3

6uXNWAo.png

Nobody's going to agree here, but the criteria I have is that:

*If your school has multiple alternate helmets, you're automatically DQed.

*If your school has a completely plain helmet that doesn't have a good justification other than tradition, you're also DQed - Notre Dame earns an exemption for the gold dome and TOSU gets an exemption for helmet stickers.

*Cursive script "logos" are also DQed.  UCLA and Ole Miss get exemptions since that's their school's actual logo and not just a lazy forced helmet one.

Beyond that?  There's a whole lot of candidates that can claim the top spot at any given time.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

VmWIn6B.png

21 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

So basically every FBS school is disqualified then?

Sure, basically everyone...

Except for a couple stragglers.

*Clemson

*Florida State

*Miami

*Syracuse

*illinois

*Indiana

*Iowa

*Michigan

*Nebraska

*Ohio State

*Penn State

*Wisconsin

*Kansas State

*Oklahoma

*Texas

*Jacksonville State

*Sam Houston State

*Akron

*Central Michigan

*Eastern Michigan

*Hawaii

*San Diego State

*Arizona

*UCLA

*USC

*Washington

*Alabama

*Arkansas

*Auburn

*Florida

*Georgia

*LSU

*Texas A&M

*Georgia Southern

*James Madison

*Southern Miss

*Louisiana Monroe

*Notre Dame

Yep.  Pretty much everybody.

• LOL 1
  • Yawn 1

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/20/2024 at 12:04 PM, LMU said:

*If your school has a completely plain helmet that doesn't have a good justification other than tradition, you're also DQed - Notre Dame earns an exemption for the gold dome and TOSU gets an exemption for helmet stickers.

Notre Dame was doing a uniform tribute to a campus landmark long before it became trendy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just now, burgundy said:

Notre Dame was doing a uniform tribute to a campus landmark long before it became trendy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And they get serious bonus points for the change to the really shiny finish.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/20/2024 at 10:04 AM, LMU said:

*Cursive script "logos" are also DQed. 

On a related note.. This might be the worst of the worst, for VERY obvious reasons.

Florida Gators Riddell SpeedFlex Helmet – Green Gridiron, Inc.

• Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Q: Do they teach cursive at Florida schools?

Do any schools teach it any more? And really it’s just the “G” that’s wrong but you see that across sports scripts that will use the more recognizable version of a letter, rather than the one that’s correct according to cursive. It’s definitely not the worst, they are one of the first to utilize the style, or atleast use it and keep it. It’s one of the most recognizable helmets in all of football, it actually utilizes team colors and is on traditional finishes not chrome or matte.