Jump to content

2022 NBA Offseason


Recommended Posts

On 7/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

Dame just signed a $60M/year extension no other team could offer him. That's why.


Yeah, I appreciate Lillard wanting to stick with the Blazers, but his recent comments about it all have been a bit eye rolling. Sure everyone else is goofy for “ring chasing”, but the dude just inked a deal that’s going to pay him $60 million a season. It’s not like that was a hard choice. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam Silver complaining about players demanding trades and turning the NBA into a soap opera for social media, really closing the barn door after the horse has been turned into glue on that one, buddy

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

From the little I saw last year, Harden kinda sucked, but this is still cool - I guess it's kinda like the Tom Brady plan?  I have zero doubt that there's under-the-table deals or side deals going on, considering the Michael Rubin connection and now that Rubin isn't directly tied to the Sixers (yet organized a party in which Embiid, Harden, Maxey, and Donovan Mitchell (the only non-Sixer) attended with rappers.  Hmmmm....

 

Screen-Shot-2022-07-06-at-3.33.00-PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BBTV said:

From the little I saw last year, Harden kinda sucked, but this is still cool - I guess it's kinda like the Tom Brady plan?  I have zero doubt that there's under-the-table deals or side deals going on, considering the Michael Rubin connection and now that Rubin isn't directly tied to the Sixers (yet organized a party in which Embiid, Harden, Maxey, and Donovan Mitchell (the only non-Sixer) attended with rappers.  Hmmmm....

 

 

Not to say you're wrong about the general sketchiness/obvious side-deals happening here, but half of the NBA was at Rubin's party, fwiw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Digby said:

 

Not to say you're wrong about the general sketchiness/obvious side-deals happening here, but half of the NBA was at Rubin's party, fwiw.


Oh, I didn’t know that. The blogs made it seem like it was basically recruiting. Yeah I guess it means nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sixers unveiled a plan to build their own arena in downtown Philly (9 years from now). Seems smart if they can pull it off and bid farewell to the great South Philadelphia sea of parking lots, though also a lot can happen in 9 years. Would leave (I think) Dallas, Detroit and Boston as the only NBA teams who don't control their home arenas by that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Sixers unveiled a plan to build their own arena in downtown Philly (9 years from now). Seems smart if they can pull it off and bid farewell to the great South Philadelphia sea of parking lots, though also a lot can happen in 9 years. Would leave (I think) Dallas, Detroit and Boston as the only NBA teams who don't control their home arenas by that point.


the 2031 date was based partially on their current lease. It could happen sooner. 
 

$1.3B privately funded arena in an area that really needs it. That stretch of market st is a dump, and even though they got rid of the “cash for gold” and knock-off electronics stores, it’s still a hole, and nobody has been able to figure out how to fix it. This would be one way, that’s for sure. 
 

Their waterfront plan was cool too, and honestly probably should have won the bidding (I forget the specifics) but I’m all on board with this. Granted, every white person in the suburbs is going to whine and complain about having to use mass transit, but screw ‘em. 

 

Screen-Shot-2022-07-21-at-9.21.53-AM.png


(this rendering may or may not represent the actual proposal). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BBTV As someone who's probably more familiar than i am, how much worse will this make traffic? I get that being right on top of a station is convenient for city residents, but I feel like this is going to be a nightmare for parking and traveling to a game. I already hate going to the current sports complex just because trying to leave is like a (normally) 30 minute trip that takes 2 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shumway said:

@BBTV As someone who's probably more familiar than i am, how much worse will this make traffic? I get that being right on top of a station is convenient for city residents, but I feel like this is going to be a nightmare for parking and traveling to a game. I already hate going to the current sports complex just because trying to leave is like a 30 minute trip that takes over 2 hours.


the Vine will be impassable. It’ll force people to use mass transit or park-and-ride type things. I don’t think driving will be feasible, especially since all the near by surface lots are or will be developed into high rises. 
 

But the benefits are that you don’t have drunks coming out of games and immediately getting onto the highways, and there’s too many cars in cities anyway.  It’ll also be more convenient for the jersey crowd if they park somewhere and use the PATCO line across the bridge. 
 

People figure out how to get to games at MSG just fine.  It’s not like tailgating for sixers games is anything like Eagles or Phillies. People will manage. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The parking lot complex has always been convenient in its own way, especially since at least they've got a subway stop down there which is more than a lot of sportsplexes in America can say. But it also does seem out of step with a city like Philly. Indoor arenas SHOULD be in downtowns, take a dang train if you wanna go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, BBTV said:


the Vine will be impassable. It’ll force people to use mass transit or park-and-ride type things. I don’t think driving will be feasible, especially since all the near by surface lots are or will be developed into high rises. 
 

But the benefits are that you don’t have drunks coming out of games and immediately getting onto the highways, and there’s too many cars in cities anyway.  It’ll also be more convenient for the jersey crowd if they park somewhere and use the PATCO line across the bridge. 
 

People figure out how to get to games at MSG just fine.  It’s not like tailgating for sixers games is anything like Eagles or Phillies. People will manage. 

I really like this. Developers and cities of all stripes need to think more about how projects will get people to use mass transit rather than asking, "where will people park?"

 

Honestly, the public should welcome it. I'd go to more sporting events if it meant I didn't have to work parking costs into the cost equation. And if the mass transit system is designed well (yes, I realize this isn't always the case), then it should be easy to access. 

 

In my years living in Portland, my house was 20 miles out of the city center, but I never had to drive myself or pay to park when attending Blazers or Timbers games. My car sat at a park-and-ride while the train took me to the stadium. That's how it should be. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I totally agree.  I work 30 miles outside the city and use subway / train (though Amtrak and local service cutbacks are really making it painful now) / bus, and don't drive at all in the city.

 

I really hate the culture that the "sports complex" has created, and I hope this new arena leads to a change among the suburbanites that don't understand how cities work.

 

The notion that it's "privately financed" is kinda not totally true, as the tax payers or system riders will foot the bill for the necessary enhancements, but as a daily user, that's something I'm more than willing to do (provided they're done correctly, which unfortunately is highly doubtful.)  They're also encroaching on the city's Chinatown, so they'll need to work with that community to get support, and I'm not sure if there's a good solution there

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Weren't the trading KD rumors already confirmed BS, and just a smokescreen to get Kyrie traded? 

Regardless, of course any team in going to ask about KD. But Celtics breaking up their core that just made The Finals to get KD is all kinds of stupid. I don't believe it for a minute.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

 

 

Weren't the trading KD rumors already confirmed BS, and just a smokescreen to get Kyrie traded? 

Regardless, of course any team in going to ask about KD. But Celtics breaking up their core that just made The Finals to get KD is all kinds of stupid. I don't believe it for a minute.   

I'm so sick of KD. Like, I am genuinely tired of hearing "news" about him. I will admit, most of my hatred came from me being a diehard LeBron fan and feeling pissed after KD signed with a record-setting team that Cleveland just barely beat. Watching people claim he's the "best player in the world" while winning championships that seemed predestined at the start of the season nearly cemented him in my mind as a selfish, lazy egomaniac. When he left for Brooklyn, I was as relieved as every other NBA fan, but I was also dissapioted to see that young, rag-tag Nets team lead by D'Angelo Russell go by the wayside.  To watch him flame-out has been satisfying, but these trade rumors have gotten rather insane rather quickly.  There should be no way in hell that Boston agrees to trade for Durant (which would likely mean giving up Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams + picks).

 

If this happens, and Kyrie gets traded to LA, Brooklyn's burnout reigniting the Lakers-Celtics would be both hilarious and an NBA fan's (and Adam Silver's) dream.

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

There should be no way in hell that Boston agrees to trade for Durant (which would likely mean giving up Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams + picks).

 

I wouldn't be quick to rule it out. Boston didn't sacrifice any depth to get Brogdon and Gallinari, so they could plausibly do so to get Durant. And Brad Stevens as GM has not shown the pick-hoarding mentality that Danny Ainge did (though they're already getting low on those). I don't think I want the trade to happen, I think the risk is too great when the team is already a Finals contender, and I admittedly am a team romantic and like roster continuity. But if A.) there's indication that Brown will want out when he's due for a supermax in two seasons, and B.) you can make a trade that doesn't include Smart, I'd at least listen. And I can definitely imagine Stevens at least picking up the phone (and then Brooklyn leaking that info).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Digby said:

 

I wouldn't be quick to rule it out. Boston didn't sacrifice any depth to get Brogdon and Gallinari, so they could plausibly do so to get Durant. And Brad Stevens as GM has not shown the pick-hoarding mentality that Danny Ainge did (though they're already getting low on those). I don't think I want the trade to happen, I think the risk is too great when the team is already a Finals contender, and I admittedly am a team romantic and like roster continuity. But if A.) there's indication that Brown will want out when he's due for a supermax in two seasons, and B.) you can make a trade that doesn't include Smart, I'd at least listen. And I can definitely imagine Stevens at least picking up the phone (and then Brooklyn leaking that info).

 

I'd think that any team in the league would at least field an offer for a surefire Hall of Famer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt blame the Celtics for being interested. And their original offer of apparently Jaylen Brown, Derrick White & Picks is honestly not a terrible trade (at least for the Celtics). But anything more than that (Nets countered with wanting Smart as well) yeah that's way too much. 

 

Nets obviously leaked the deal to get more for KD, though I doubt any team could make a better offer than the Celtics. 

I mean, what is Miami going to give them? Herro, Lowery & Bam + Picks? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I'm so sick of KD. Like, I am genuinely tired of hearing "news" about him. I will admit, most of my hatred came from me being a diehard LeBron fan and feeling pissed after KD signed with a record-setting team that Cleveland just barely beat. Watching people claim he's the "best player in the world" while winning championships that seemed predestined at the start of the season nearly cemented him in my mind as a selfish, lazy egomaniac. When he left for Brooklyn, I was as relieved as every other NBA fan, but I was also dissapioted to see that young, rag-tag Nets team lead by D'Angelo Russell go by the wayside.  To watch him flame-out has been satisfying, but these trade rumors have gotten rather insane rather quickly.  There should be no way in hell that Boston agrees to trade for Durant (which would likely mean giving up Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams + picks).

 

If this happens, and Kyrie gets traded to LA, Brooklyn's burnout reigniting the Lakers-Celtics would be both hilarious and an NBA fan's (and Adam Silver's) dream.

 

So, you hate KD for being a " selfish, lazy egomaniac", but you'd welcome Kyrie onto your team? 

 

 

Interesting.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I'm so sick of KD. Like, I am genuinely tired of hearing "news" about him. I will admit, most of my hatred came from me being a diehard LeBron fan and feeling pissed after KD signed with a record-setting team that Cleveland just barely beat. Watching people claim he's the "best player in the world" while winning championships that seemed predestined at the start of the season nearly cemented him in my mind as a selfish, lazy egomaniac. When he left for Brooklyn, I was as relieved as every other NBA fan, but I was also dissapioted to see that young, rag-tag Nets team lead by D'Angelo Russell go by the wayside.  To watch him flame-out has been satisfying, but these trade rumors have gotten rather insane rather quickly.  There should be no way in hell that Boston agrees to trade for Durant (which would likely mean giving up Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams + picks).

 

If this happens, and Kyrie gets traded to LA, Brooklyn's burnout reigniting the Lakers-Celtics would be both hilarious and an NBA fan's (and Adam Silver's) dream.

Jeez, you'd be happy with Kyrie on your team that already has chemistry issues?? 

 

Oops, OldSchoolVikes beat me too it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.