Sierra Mist rebrand coming

kmccarthy27

On 10/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, Dilbert said:

Things havent been the same since they killed off Slice.

hqdefault.jpg

This was the direction to go in if they were gonna do any rebranding. Even the kids these days love 80s nostalgia.

That said, I already like the Starry branding better than anything they've ever trotted out for Sierra Mist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It took me like a decade to make the connection of Mountain Dew/Sierra Mist. I think that's really the only thing it had going for it.

MOTHER :censored: ER

EDIT, anyway for a more constructive addition to the conversation, I wish they had gone ahead with this.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(soft_drink) It was pretty good actually when I had it in one of the test markets.

• LOL 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 hours ago, Halian said:

I'm gonna miss Sierra Mist; it was my favorite lemon-lime soda, next to Fresca.

For me nothing compares to Fresca, which I deem the best-ever soda.  The diet versions of 7Up and Sprite are just fine; and diet Sierra Mist was adequate (as I assume the diet version of Starry will be).  But Fresca is in a whole different league as a taste treat.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 10/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, the admiral said:

7-Up, Sprite, and Sierra Mist are clear lemon-lime sodas. 7-Up makes you burp more than the others. Mountain Dew is a different soda altogether. It's neon-green, syrupier, and I think it includes orange juice concentrate as well as other citruses. It has also always been coded as downmarket, whether explicitly blue-collar or just gamers. There's no social implication to drinking Sprite that I know of.

Really? This surprises me.

Apart from Mountain Dew and its XTREME!!! branding in the '90s (which morphed into the "gamer fuel" branding today), I can't think of a stronger tie between a soda and any demographic than Sprite and the Black community. Going as far back as I can personally remember, almost every Sprite commercial I can think of features either hip-hop artists (KRS-One, Nas, ATCQ) or basketball players (Grant Hill, Kobe, LeBron). I'm sure there are outliers, but I can't think of any.

• Like 3

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

4 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I can't think of a stronger tie between a soda and any demographic than Sprite and the Black community. 

Oh, I can! Freshman year of high school, I brought a can of grape soda with me to lunch and one of the girls who mainstreamed in from the Catholic school looked at me with disgust and said "what are you, black?" I mean, looking at me, olive-skinned on my best day, but point made. Sprite may have LeBron in commercials, but he hasn't ejected white people from the premises for drinking it; I think it's pretty much for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

Oh, I can! Freshman year of high school, I brought a can of grape soda with me to lunch and one of the girls who mainstreamed in from the Catholic school looked at me with disgust and said "what are you, black?" I mean, looking at me, olive-skinned on my best day, but point made. Sprite may have LeBron in commercials, but he hasn't ejected white people from the premises for drinking it; I think it's pretty much for everyone. 

Sure - I didn't mean "only _____ people drink _____" like it's, I dunno, Black Rifle Coffee or something.

I guess "social implication to drinking _____" is different than "heavily marketed toward _____," which is more how I took it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yeah, I mean, I would say there's no soda on the market that really has a positive connotation right now (I think back to Gothamite tediously going out of his way to refer to them as "sugary drinks" like his main man Mike Bloomberg) but consuming Mountain Dew seems especially, uh, fraught. Maybe it's the neon color.  ♫ Maybe it's Gamergate 

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/29/2022 at 8:20 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, I mean, I would say there's no soda on the market that really has a positive connotation right now (I think back to Gothamite tediously going out of his way to refer to them as "sugary drinks" like his main man Mike Bloomberg) but consuming Mountain Dew seems especially, uh, fraught. Maybe it's the neon color.  ♫ Maybe it's Gamergate 

I was going to say, no soda have social implications.

Maybe store brand, but but then you don't need people then in your life that can't understand you wanting to be frugal.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Man, I loved Sierra Mist as a teenager (Mello Yello too). I had the rare hankerin' for some pop and actually was looking for it the other day for old time's sake. Mello Yello is never at the store I went to, Sprite just ain't the same, and I pretty much only find myself buying a Mountain Dew once every summer when Baja Blast is sold outside Taco Bell (again, for that teenage trips to Taco Bell nostalgia). I couldn't find it, and this explains why. At least they aren't changing the formula again like they did with Mist Twist.

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/business/starry-launch-sierra-mist/index.html

“Starting from a clean slate, Pepsi is positioning Starry toward younger drinkers (i.e. its Gen-Z-appealing slogan that infuses internet slang: "Starry Hits Different")”

Only about two and a half years late on that one buddy

• Like 5

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

55 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/business/starry-launch-sierra-mist/index.html

“Starting from a clean slate, Pepsi is positioning Starry toward younger drinkers (i.e. its Gen-Z-appealing slogan that infuses internet slang: "Starry Hits Different")”

Only about two and a half years late on that one buddy

" Neil Saunders, managing director of retail for GlobalData told CNN that it’s a “confused brand” that looks like an “imitation of Sprite.”

Um, it still looks like that. Just updated.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 8:54 AM, BBTV said:

Can someone explain the difference between 7-up, Sprite, Sierra Mist, and Mountain Dew?  Aren't they all just lemon-lime sodas with maybe a slightly different weight towards lemon or lime?

On 10/9/2022 at 9:17 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

7Up and Sprite have no caffeine, while Mountain Dew has a lot of caffeine.

Sierra Mist had no caffeine. I presume that Starry will be the same.

Ferd is right on with the differentiation between Mountain Dew from the rest-- it is not just a lemon-lime soda but a citrus soda containing orange flavor AND caffeine.  Like most sodas,  it was developed locally/regionally (in Tennessee)  well before our time, and was bought by a major national bottler (Pepsi) in the 1960s.  For those who may not know, the name fits in with the area as Mountain Dew (like White Lightning) is a slang term for moonshine, and even celebrated as such in song:

Here is an OLD bottle design showing that moonshine connection:
Oldmtdewbottle.jpg

Another thing to consider is that each are produced by  major bottlers as their representative lemon-lime soda: Coke has Sprite, Pepsi has Sierra Mist/Starry. and the O.G. lemon-lime soda, 7-Up,  is owned by an ever-changing conglomerate that is now Keurig/Dr. Pepper. 

Taste wise- I have found this between the 3 lemon-lime sodas:

• 7-Up: Best; most pronounced lemon-lime flavor
  • Sierra Mist:  Second-best, less lemon-lime flavor.
  • Sprite: Worst; overly sweet sugar water with just a hint of lemon-lime. 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, Halian said:

I'm gonna miss Sierra Mist; it was my favorite lemon-lime soda, next to Fresca.

Fresca was developed as (and remains) a citrus soda whose primary citrus flavor was not lemon-lime, but GRAPEFRUIT...  LBJ was a big fan of Fresca back in the day.

Fresca is a Coca-Cola product; its Pepsi equivalent is Citrus Blast, and the Keurig/Dr. Pepper equivalent is Squirt. 

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 1

It is what it is.