22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Tonight in the Lakers/Celtics game, there was a clear no-call on LeBron as he drove to the basket as time expired, sending the game to OT.

LeBron was clearly hacked by Jayston Tatum, and nothing from the refs. LA went on to lose in OT, though they should have had a chance to win at the the line.

If you've watched much of the Lakers, this isn't the first time this happened to them this year, though this might be the most egregious.

It's really hard to watch the game when the refereeing is all over the place. And seemingly grossly unfair.

Okay, when the fu*k did Laker fans become Bills fans and move up to Seattle?

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

xFUdNmt.png

5 minutes ago, Jamesizzo said:

Why does it matter to you

It just confuses me when people root for a team from a place they have no ties to whatsoever or that they're friends/family don't root for. You should root for who's local/closest to you or that you're family root for. But that's just me, if you have own your reasons for not following those rules, be my guest. 

• Yawn 4

xFUdNmt.png

2 hours ago, Kooky01 said:

It just confuses me when people root for a team from a place they have no ties to whatsoever or that they're friends/family don't root for. You should root for who's local/closest to you or that you're family root for. But that's just me, if you have own your reasons for not following those rules, be my guest. 

Some people live in multiple places in their lives.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35553717/nba-referees-union-missing-foul-lebron-james-gut-wrenching

The National Basketball Referees Association admitted Sunday that LeBron James was fouled on the last play of regulation in the Los Angeles Lakers' loss to the Boston Celtics and called the mistake "gut-wrenching."

"Like everyone else, referees make mistakes," the union wrote in its tweet. "We made one at the end of last night's game and that is gut-wrenching for us. This play will weigh heavily and cause sleepless nights as we strive to be the best referees we can be."

James got the ball about 35 feet from the basket, with 4.1 seconds remaining in what was a tied game at Boston on Saturday night. He split two defenders as he got into the lane, then went airborne and got past Jayson Tatum. James laid the ball up with his left hand, Tatum clearly made contact with James' shooting arm, no foul was called and the game went to overtime.

Had a foul been called, James would have gone to the free-throw line with an opportunity to put the Lakers ahead with 1.8 seconds remaining. The Celtics wound up winning the game in overtime, 125-121.

"We got cheated tonight, honestly. ... It's unacceptable," Lakers forward Anthony Davis said after the game.

The NBA acknowledged shortly after the game that a foul should have been called -- "There was contact. At the time, during the game, we did not see a foul. The crew missed the play," crew chief Eric Lewis told a pool reporter -- and reaffirmed that Sunday in the report detailing calls made and missed in the final two minutes of regulation and overtime.

I know people like to make jokes, but FWIW, there you go.

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

No ones denying that they missed the call. 

It was just hilarious

A. Seeing LeDiva throw an all time tantrum over it. (when he usually gets so many calls) 

B. Lakers fans being upset over it, when they won one of the most notoriously rigged games in NBA history. Which led to a championship for them. 

Lakers have no room to complain about the refs. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

No ones denying that they missed the call. 

It was just hilarious

A. Seeing LeDiva throw an all time tantrum over it. (when he usually gets so many calls) 

B. Lakers fans being upset over it, when they won one of the most notoriously rigged games in NBA history. Which led to a championship for them. 

Lakers have no room to complain about the refs. 

A. That's not true:

B. What are you talking about?

"Like everyone else, referees make mistakes," the union wrote in its tweet. "We made one at the end of last night's game and that is gut-wrenching for us. This play will weigh heavily and cause sleepless nights as we strive to be the best referees we can be."

Refs blow calls every night in every sport but LeBron has a meltdown and we get "I am emotionally numb right now. The room is spinning. All I can do now is try to reassemble the broken pieces of my life and figure out how I can ever move forward again." The umpire who botched Gallaraga's perfect game wasn't this histrionic and he still took it pretty hard.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

27 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

A. That's not true:

That's just this year, like Brady, Lebron was notorious for getting calls, especially in the playoffs. People have always made fun of him for it. 

28 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

B. What are you talking about?

Game 6 of the 03 Conference Finals. Even the Refs admitted that game was rigged. 

Bottom line, Lakers & their fans need to STFU about the refs, because they have exactly 0 room to talk. 

You know how we get down on announcers who chaotically yell and scream as if every game decides the championship, and then they have nowhere to go up from there? Same with LeBron's tantrums. The one on J.R. Smith in the Finals, everyone gets, but this is not drawing a foul in a regular-season game for a team that isn't going to make the playoffs anyway. It's not appropriate to act like someone argued for free speech in Hong Kong when it's just a game in January and you're bad.

• Like 3

On 2023-01-29 at 8:29 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, it’s a real shame the Lakers didn’t have an entire overtime period to do something about it.  

Oh, wait.   

There was such a weird lack of edge and urgency in a winnable game. Beverley decided after the camera move (which was hysterically funny btw) that that was the end of his heroics. Welp!

Also I know it’s a general theory that the bad calls even out in time, but with the advent of the last two minutes report, this all gets very selective — what about that we should technically not have gotten to that point because the refs missed an offensive foul on Davis? Both with the whistle that should’ve been and the foul trouble at clutch time he would've been in? I dunno, it all turns into butterfly-effect guessing games quickly. 

Better to just yell at the refs, generally, for sucking. And then to do so again when they self-flagellate because even THAT gets the star treatment.

• Like 1

I suppose both kind of take you to the same place, but I think it's much easier to live with negative miscalls than positive ones in football, basketball, and hockey. (Doesn't really map to baseball.) If you don't draw the foul/penalty, it sucks, but alas, nothing is promised, they can't catch it every single time. It's the flops, dives, and phantom calls that should give people fits. I'm trying to imagine a really good wide receiver on, like, Jeff Saturday's Colts or something, not drawing pass interference late in a game and bouncing up and down, screaming at the ref, and sticking his ass up in the air. That would be deranged behavior.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, the admiral said:

Refs blow calls every night in every sport but LeBron has a meltdown and we get "I am emotionally numb right now. The room is spinning. All I can do now is try to reassemble the broken pieces of my life and figure out how I can ever move forward again." The umpire who botched Gallaraga's perfect game wasn't this histrionic and he still took it pretty hard.

That ref statement is honestly one of the most embarrassing things in sports, I really can't believe it's real. I am getting kinda sick of hearing about refs/umps in sports, and getting all these two minute reports, or official league statements about calls, or ump score cards. They don't seem to make the product better, it's not like the worst refs or umps (who, at least in baseball, tend to be the longest tenured) would care and the leagues can't do much to them, it just gives sports fans more reasons to claim things are rigged against them, and only them, and no one wants that. I would much rather just live with mistakes and move on, their gonna be apart of the games whether we like them or not.

• Like 2
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

Breanna Stewart is leaving the Storm for the Liberty. Bummed to see it as a local, but I think it's good and healthy for the league to see exciting free agent player movement.

• Like 2