22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

All Silver had to do was point to expectations for how a professional basketball player should act.  If anyone pushed back on that point, Charles Barkley already called him (Irving) out for this lack of feeling/knowledge/false intelligence.  He is a conspiracy theorist with less polish than some of the bigger names that make their living preaching to the people who feel they are owed something. 

Barkley doesn't have much room to call anyone out for buffoonery.  Also, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to set anything but the lowest of bars for people with little-to-no education who's role models have always been athletes... with little-to-no education.  

Wealth begets wealth, but so does stupidity.  The only difference between some of these athletes and stupid people in other communities is that these athletes have millions of "followers", while Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel waiving his stars and bars in the trailer park doesn't (though now he's verified! ☑️)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure how reasonable it is to set anything but the lowest of bars for people with little-to-no education who's role models have always been athletes... with little-to-no education. 

NBA players started being presented as public intellectuals around 2014, which I think we recognize in hindsight was when things everywhere started getting weird. LeBron James started being photographed reading books all the time. Sometimes they were even right-side up. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

44 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Food for thought: Deshaun Watson in all likelihood committed serial sexual assault, but the NFLPA, the weakest players' union, was able to get his suspension cut down significantly. What will the NBPA, the strongest players' union, be able to do on behalf of Kyrie Irving, especially now that the most famous basketball player has publicly said that he doesn't really need to pay off the ADL and go through antisemitism traffic school?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Food for thought: Deshaun Watson in all likelihood committed serial sexual assault, but the NFLPA, the weakest players' union, was able to get his suspension cut down significantly. What will the NBPA, the strongest players' union, be able to do on behalf of Kyrie Irving, especially now that the most famous basketball player has publicly said that he doesn't really need to pay off the ADL and go through antisemitism traffic school?

LeBron James: any white person involved in the league who does something racist needs to be banned for life.

Also LeBron James: Kyrie gave a canned PR apology for being antisemtic, let him play you guys.

• Like 2

Jaylen Brown (another union higher-up) has been doing the same thing, a real hit to Celtics fans who thought for a while he was the anti-Kyrie. Tactically reminds me of all the police and firefighter unions who spent last year suing over vaccine mandates.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Digby said:

Jaylen Brown (another union higher-up) has been doing the same thing, a real hit to Celtics fans who thought for a while he was the anti-Kyrie. Tactically reminds me of all the police and firefighter unions who spent last year suing over vaccine mandates.

Reggie Miller was right. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/nets/2022/11/02/reggie-miller-calls-out-nba-players-kyrie-irvings-antisemitic-post/8247507001/

• Like 3

So Giannis has a bad day at the office and decides that he's just going to hang out and practice free throws while the arena crew is trying to break down the place for a changeover (and it's late and they just want to go home.)  Not only once, but twice.  He seems like a nice guy, but this wasn't a good moment.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Did that just happen?" Yeah, dummy. Find new words.

I guess this is the opposite side of staying late to get work in. I'm sure there's a practice court in the building, but I'm also sure the Sixers wouldn't let him anywhere near it.

Would the Bucks stay the night in Philly after that game, or head back to Milwaukee? If the latter (ha), he's holding up the team plane too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Athletic story seems to suggest otherwise. 

Milwaukee star Giannis Antetokounmpo tried to shoot extra free throws after a terrible game he had at the line. Sixers backup center Montrezl Harrell and a coaching staff member, Jason Love, returned to the court, and Harrell took the ball from Giannis and refused to give it back.

Harrell stood in the corner shaking his head and holding the ball while Antetokounmpo pleaded with him.

“This isn’t f—— Milwaukee,” Harrell barked at Antetokounmpo, as witnessed by The Athletic. “Get that s— out of there.”

The Sixers reserve center threatened Thanasis, saying at separate times “I’ll beat your a–” and “you better send that s— back to the locker room.” Thanasis walked away without incident.

IDK, Harrell sounds unhinged to me! Postgame work happens, I'm not understanding the weird resistance here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cujo said:

How many of us would be fired if we did that at our jobs? 🙋‍♂️

Entitled b1tch.

I've worked when the cleaning staff is in. They just didn't empty my wastebasket. No big deal.

Course, nobody was filming me or paying to watch me work, which is why every "if I did that at my job" comparison is silly.

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

IDK, Harrell sounds unhinged to me! Postgame work happens, I'm not understanding the weird resistance here.

Harrell kind of has a rep at this point, huh?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 hours ago, Digby said:

For anyone who wants to see the full sequence of events:

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 11/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, Digby said:

It doesn't really matter how it gets to the point where a guy is disrespecting arena crew and pushing ladders out of the way just so he can do some silly-ass "I need to hit 10 in a row because I neeeeeeeed to" ritual, all that matters is that they got there, and he thought his 10 free throws were more important than people trying to do their job.  He's not a POS, but he was on that one night.  I've never even heard of the Sixers guy, but his conduct is pretty irrelevant.  Once the lights go on and they start putting the chairs up on the tables, it's time to go home.

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

It doesn't really matter how it gets to the point where a guy is disrespecting arena crew and pushing ladders out of the way just so he can do some silly-ass "I need to hit 10 in a row because I neeeeeeeed to" ritual, all that matters is that they got there, and he thought his 10 free throws were more important than people trying to do their job.  He's not a POS, but he was on that one night.  I've never even heard of the Sixers guy, but his conduct is pretty irrelevant.  Once the lights go on and they start putting the chairs up on the tables, it's time to go home.

What? Postgame work for players is a normal thing. You don't always see it with the away guys but it's not unheard of. It's not "time to go home" if there are still fans and media there witnessing the whole thing, we are not talking like it's 12:30 in the morning here. Players can do their thing and the bull gang waits til they're done. This is not the town rec league gym with a hard stop.

Literally the only reason this is a story is because Harrell got bizarrely aggro and caused a scene -- which prolonged the ordeal.

Pushing the ladder was maybe a Karen-level move from Giannis but didn't rise to the level of POS.