22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

Was reading an article about how Kevin Durant is now 20th in the alltime scoring list. But what cracked me up even more is the fact I saw he passed Alex English on this list. Names you forget was on the alltime great list forgotten in the 80s

On 10/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, Digby said:

Even despite Adam Silver's constant googly eyes for anything that Premier League clubs are doing, I don't see this happening. I do however think it's a no-brainer that the used-car-salesmen running MLS to implement this and sell it as "pro/rel, like the Europeans do" before the end of the decade.

With the speed at which MLS seems to be expanding, a 20/20 split would probably go over well and make sense. It's not necessary for the NBA; 24 teams a year are de facto relegated as it is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

With the speed at which MLS seems to be expanding, a 20/20 split would probably go over well and make sense. It's not necessary for the NBA; 24 teams a year are de facto relegated as it is.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've figured would happen. It might be fun and different, but also, making it a closed shop feels like it's inevitable that San Jose will just flounder at the bottom of the 2nd tier indefinitely and I don't see how that solves any relevance concerns.

• Like 1

I wonder if a Kyrie-Westbrook garbage exchange could be back on the menu. Kyrie seems intent on tweeting his way out of Brooklyn and even has the owner making statements against him now. Meanwhile the Lakers look like they could be headed for a 2008 Heat type of season (old team and recent champion that had the talent to at least be top 6-8 in the conference if they can just check their egos and stay relatively h-ACK) if they don't make a major roster change soon, not like their chemistry can get much worse and they don't have a future anyway.

The Jazz are somehow 5-2. Yes, this year’s Jazz team, the one who did all the trades for all the picks and supposedly hopped aboard the tank train.

It’s still very early and I’m trying really hard not to get ahead of myself here (I mean, I’m really resisting the urge to make myself believe this team could be basketball’s answer to the Moneyball A’s or something) but man, is this team fun to watch. I’m positively floored that they are as competitive as they are at the moment; compared to how checked out last year’s team was, this team is playing thier guts out and closing out games that, on paper, they probably shouldn’t be.

I really don’t know how long it’s going to last and I’m still keeping myself grounded by acknowledging they could (and probably will) come back to earth at any moment, but at the very least this group has won me over, regardless of how many games they eventually wind up losing. It’s just a really fun group to watch and follow. 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I mentioned this earlier but the Jazz seem have their own breed of devil magic going on. They may fall short when expected to contend, but it seems like they never get the memo in seasons when they're supposed to be terrible, either. They were meant to be historically bad in 2004 after they lost Stockton and Malone, but they almost made the playoffs with Kirilenko and what... Carlos Arroyo and Greg Ostertag? Same thing after Boozer and Deron Williams left.

I got curious and looked it up on B-R. Utah has exactly two seasons since 1983 where they haven't won at least 46% of their games (i.e. 38 wins in an 82 game season). But noooooo you literally can't compete in this league if you're in a small market!

• Like 3

The Timberwolves are the Broncos of the NBA.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, dont care said:

The broncos Atleast won championships

I was referring to this season - big acquisitions, mortgaging of futures, on-court/filed mediocrity, and trade-partners being better.

Historically, there is no franchise to compare the T-Wolves to.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Utah Jazz junked their top players and are 6-2. San Antonio is similarly tanking with a 5-2 record. The Lakers are 1-5 and have the worst bench in the league. The Nets are 2-5 and one of their star players is currently adding anti-Semitism to his anti-science collection of terrible beliefs, and might end up marginalizing himself out of the league. Kawhi has missed 6 games with knee pain.

Golden State, Miami, Brooklyn and both LA franchises are currently below the playoff line.

Just planting this flag now to see how it holds up at the end of the season when Portland and Cleveland are playing for the NBA title.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well, I did not have Steve Nash being the first coaching casualty on my Bingo card

Wow! That franchise is cursed.

(Move it to Seattle. )

• Applause 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

58 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well, I did not have Steve Nash being the first coaching casualty on my Bingo card

I did. Seemed untenable ever since KD's ultimatum leaked this summer, barring a miraculously hot start to the season. But no defense and Kyrie finding new ways to defiantly be a bad person made sure that's not happening.

It was also a bad fit from the beginning -- he was hired to be a celebrity coach for a celebrity team. No actual coaching resume to speak of. A great player does not automatically and immediately become a great coach, not even the squeaky-clean, floor-general white Canadian guy.

Woj says they're interviewing Ime Udoka for the replacement job -- the non-flashy name who spent many years learning from the best coaches and then turned out to be a pretty good one himself once he got the chance -- but for his own baggage that he'll now bring along. 

• Like 3

I'm sure it's a huge relief to the Celtics. Now he's another org's problem and no longer a legal liability. Maybe.