22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

5 minutes ago, Cujo said:

All those 32-50 records get thrown out the window once their version of Wild card round begins -- Thus, the postseason. Not sure why or how NBA fans don't see it as that.

Play-in games, per the NBA, aren't part of the playoffs. They are a separate competition that gets you into the playoffs. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Play-in games, per the NBA, aren't part of the playoffs. They are a separate competition that gets you into the playoffs. 

Games with meaning after the regular season concludes = postseason. That's literally the definition of 'postseason'.

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

59 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Games with meaning after the regular season concludes = postseason. That's literally the definition of 'postseason'.

In spirit, a game at the end of the regular season that determines what team makes the playoffs and what team doesn't is a "playoff" game, even if it's not treated as such from a statistical standpoint because they're not part of the "NBA Playoffs". 

Regarding the play-in:

"The NBA Play-In Tournament takes place "after the regular season and before the first round of the playoffs," per NBA.com. Play-In Tournament stats can't be applied to the regular season because it has already concluded, but they also aren't added to postseason totals because Play-In teams haven't officially qualified for the NBA Playoffs.

So, where can one find Play-In Tournament statistics? On NBA.com, stats are broken down by "Season Type." Under that filter, numbers can be sorted by preseason, regular season, playoffs, All-Star and Play-In."

So the NBA uses "postseason" and "NBA Playoff" interchangeably for statistical purposes, even though by the dictionary definition, the play-in games occur "post season", and are a playoff of their own, separate from the official NBA Playoff.

So they are postseason games, but not NBA postseason games, and they are a playoff, but not the official NBA Playoffs.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Solid return for the Nets (given the circumstances). Dinwiddie returning is a cute callback to when it looked like Brooklyn had learned their lesson circa 2018. Not talented enough but at least the spirit is there and right; he’s at least good enough and their defense with Finney-Smith should keep them respectable as long as KD sticks around.

It’s fitting that Kyrie ends up on the most culturally bankrupt franchise in the league. Shades of them trading for Rondo to pair with Dirk only for him to fight nonstop with Rick Carlisle for a half-season. (Also not sure a ball-dominant player who doesn’t defend is the right fix for this Mavs team, but…) I hope Luka gets fed up and bolts.

• Like 3

Kyrie's best landing spot was the Lakers, but they gave up everything for Westbrook and no team wants to bail them out of that terrible trade, so Dallas it is.

Seems kind of like a net zero for everyone involved, which is the story of Kyrie post-Cleveland.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

So the NBA uses "postseason" and "NBA Playoff" interchangeably for statistical purposes, even though by the dictionary definition, the play-in games occur "post season", and are a playoff of their own, separate from the official NBA Playoff.

So they are postseason games, but not NBA postseason games, and they are a playoff, but not the official NBA Playoffs.

It's kind of an inverse of how Game 163s were playoffs, but not the postseason.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I get the NBA doesn't want the stats to go into the "playoff" category cause teams are not playing an uneven number of postseason games. But it's exactly what the MLB Wild Card, and even NFL does, with teams having byes for the following round.

In the end, 20 teams make the NBA postseason. This late into the season, if a team is seeded 6th in their conference, there's no real concern of missing the playoffs unless they lose 20 straight games.

6uXNWAo.png

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's kind of an inverse of how Game 163s were playoffs, but not the postseason.

IIRC, they were actually considered regular season, and stats counted towards regular-season stats.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Surprised Kyrie was traded to the Mavs of all teams. 

Reeks of a desperation move by them though. They're probably worried about Luka fully committing to the team so this is there attempt to "win now" with him. 

It's not so much of a surprise as it is the owner telling him that he wasn't going to send him to the Lakers - a final middle finger to a player who has been a royal pain in the ass these last few seasons.

• Like 1

How did Dallas get snookered into giving up draft picks for a guy with no trade value?

It hit me the other day that Kyrie is basically a more sinister version of Manny Ramirez. Which means that a) Brooklyn probably could've just not traded him and he would have dropped it and gotten over whatever was bugging him after a couple of weeks, and b) Dallas better hope they're getting the basketball version of 2008 Dodgers Manny. /Bill Simmons tangent

40 minutes ago, who do you think said:

How did Dallas get snookered into giving up draft picks for a guy with no trade value?

It hit me the other day that Kyrie is basically a more sinister version of Manny Ramirez. Which means that a) Brooklyn probably could've just not traded him and he would have dropped it and gotten over whatever was bugging him after a couple of weeks, and b) Dallas better hope they're getting the basketball version of 2008 Dodgers Manny. /Bill Simmons tangent

I've said before, Kyrie is the Antonio Brown of the NBA. A complete headcase, that's only given so many chances because of his talent. 

O/U how long until he gets into an argument with Jason Kidd and runs across the court with his Jersey off? 

• LOL 1

5 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Kyrie -- complete headcase, that's only given so many chances because of his talent. 

It's insane to see how many teams were thirsting over him, and that they think he's not going to cause another major stir.

It's borderline Deshawn Watson, where even if you think he helps your team, he's a sh:tty human being who you don't want to root for.

6uXNWAo.png

The most maddening thing about the NBA is how this trade, for both teams, wasn't as much about the players dealt as it is about whether it appeases each team's existing superstars enough to convince them to stick around. 

The Nets somehow seem even more unsettled after trading Kyrie. And now the rest of the league is salivating over the prospects of landing Durant, considering he's seemed to have one foot out the door ever since he arrived in Brooklyn. (And wherever he's been, for that matter.) 

If I'm a Brooklyn fan, I'd be easing myself into the idea that the team is on the verge of a complete rebuild. And it might be more fun to follow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

It's insane to see how many teams were thirsting over him, and that they think he's not going to cause another major stir.

It's borderline Deshawn Watson, where even if you think he helps your team, he's a sh:tty human being who you don't want to root for.

I'd say they're equal. They are just headaches that two teams overpaid for and one was able to pass their headache off to someone else. Having the Nets owner say he didn't want to send Irving to the Lakers, who would have given him much more if they could, seems to say a lot about his athletic capability. But his mental stability is just the opposite of that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

If I'm a Brooklyn fan, I'd be easing myself into the idea that the team is on the verge of a complete rebuild. And it might be more fun to follow. 

Well, at least there aren't very many Brooklyn fans to be left disheartened by the recent events. The last time they were picking up the wreckage of a disastrous star team, they were rebuilding with Dinwiddie and LeVert and Allen, plus a decent coach in Kenny Atkinson, and they were a fun young team with strong culture and a path toward being decently competitive. Rather than augment that, they shredded it to pieces.

Funny that Dinwiddie is back in the fold now to see if things go better this time around, and I think they might -- they traded Kyrie's finishing ability to level up their defense (and get assets for possibly another trade). But I can also see them handing over the keys to, like, Trae Young in three years or something if Durant bails and leaves them crud.

• Like 2