College Basketball 2022-23

TrueYankee26

15 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

Do you feel like when you're attending the first/second rounds (especially the first) that you're missing out on all the other games?

It used to be that way. I went to a couple tourney games at The Pit in Albuquerque in 2002 and 2012 and you had no idea what was going on with other games until you got home or checked ESPN.com (if you even got reception in the arena)

Attended Denver's sessions on Friday -- the arena was real-time simulcasting games on the jumbotron between every timeout and even in-game. The big screen played the entirety of FDU finishing off Purdue on while the second half of Gonzaga/GCU game was going on. They weren't letting fans miss history. Few and Drew might've been annoyed with it, but us fans were pretty impressed they did that.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

On 3/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, tBBP said:

And what a game it was!

I've actually been able to catch a good many of these games due to being snowed in...caught that one from top to bottom. The fact that Arkansas pulled off that comeback with dang near half their players either in foul trouble or completely fouled out (Kansas was in the bonus with about 10:00 to go in the game) was huge for them. Not that I have anything against the Jayhawks, but as a current enrollee and future Sooie Pig alumnus, naturally I have  a vested interest in all things Hogs these days, so...WOO PIG SOOIE!!!

(Now of course the question is can they finally break through the glass ceiling at the Sweet 16?)

To be fair, Arkansas' current glass ceiling is getting through the Elite Eight. They went there the last two seasons.

I remember telling people that Muss was going to be big for Arkansas. Hog fans were skeptical but I've clearly been vindicated. Maybe they were right to be skeptical since I tried to tell them that Chad Morris would be solid, and instead he was the most hilariously bad football coach of all time.

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

It used to be that way. I went to a couple tourney games at The Pit in Albuquerque in 2002 and 2012 and you had no idea what was going on with other games until you got home or checked ESPN.com (if you even got reception in the arena)

Attended Denver's sessions on Friday -- the arena was real-time simulcasting games on the jumbotron between every timeout and even in-game. The big screen played the entirety of FDU finishing off Purdue on while the second half of Gonzaga/GCU game was going on. They weren't letting fans miss history. Few and Drew might've been annoyed with it, but us fans were pretty impressed they did that.

I went to an NCAA first round at the old Key Arena like a decade ago, but that arena was a dump. No score updates in-arena, no cell service because the building was made out of Styrofoam, and the TVs in the concourse (which were like 19" Sanyo CRTs -- well into the 2010s!!) were only fuzzily showing what was in the arena. And that that point, I think the only concourse food options were nachos, hot dogs and not much more.

It was cool to see the games -- and I saw Kurt Warner walking around, since Northern Iowa played that day -- but the arena experience was lacking, to say the least. Glad that dump was replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

who's the biggest draw left?

UCLA? Michigan State?

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

Good luck with those Sweet 16 ratings

Unlike NBA and MLB, when it comes to March Madness, people want to tune in for the cinderallas and underdogs. Pretty sure a lot of people (myself included) will actually go out of their way to watch a team like Butler, Loyola-Chicago, St. Peters as opposed to your typical Duke or Kansas game -- unless they're getting upset. 🙃

6uXNWAo.png

15 minutes ago, Cujo said:

UCLA? Michigan State?

Unlike NBA and MLB, when it comes to March Madness, people want to tune in for the cinderallas and underdogs. Pretty sure a lot of people (myself included) will actually go out of their way to watch a team like Butler, Loyola-Chicago, St. Peters as opposed to your typical Duke or Kansas game -- unless they're getting upset. 🙃

Too many upsets can be too much of a good thing

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

Never. When it comes to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, I'm all for true March MADNESS!!! Bring on the Mid-Majors! Give me an All-Catholic Final Four (and I'm talking the likes of Loyola Chicago, Saint Joseph's, Saint Louis, and Saint Peter's... Holy Cross, Iona, Saint Mary's, and St. Bonaventure).  I want nothing less than full-on, bracket-busting CHAOS!!!

• Applause 1

8 hours ago, Unocal said:

I used to think this way, but then college basketball completely changed as a sport, so I think they're all basically mid-majors now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Never. When it comes to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, I'm all for true March MADNESS!!! Bring on the Mid-Majors! Give me an All-Catholic Final Four (and I'm talking the likes of Loyola Chicago, Saint Joseph's, Saint Louis, and Saint Peter's... Holy Cross, Iona, Saint Mary's, and St. Bonaventure).  I want nothing less than full-on, bracket-busting CHAOS!!!

Co-signed.

Imagine wanting to see Duke, Kansas, UNC and UCLA in every Final Four. 👎

6uXNWAo.png

13 hours ago, Cujo said:

Two things..

Was at this game, I've never heard so many gasps. 💸

Also, Kevin Harlan is the absolute best in the business. Jim Nantz can't retire soon enough.

I run a Pool where you draw teams but the only thing that matters is if they cover the spread (gives everyone a chance no matter what team they draw) and between this and the Alabama/TXAMCC games, some last-minute buckets made a few teams change hands.

Also, I don't think there's a March Madness announcer (very few in general, actually) that I don't like, but they already confirmed Ian Eagle will be taking over the Final Four calls next year on TV. It's not a bad choice, but him being younger than Harlan kinda bums me out, hopefully he can do the Super Bowl when Nantz gives that up? (Harlan doing the Masters would be something though I'd think Andrew Catalon takes that over as he's already on the broadcast.)

On 3/19/2023 at 11:29 PM, Unocal said:

Good luck with those Sweet 16 ratings

Unless I have a monetary investment in the network I'm not sure why I'd give two :censored:s about the ratings. I root for basketball, not how many other people are watching the same game I'm watching.

• Like 1