NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

5 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Nike has its faults, but I'm really tired of the ignorance of the shiny pants complainers:

Brock-Purdy-Joe-Montana-Split-GettyImage

Counter-point: both uniforms would be vastly improved with the shiny metallic pants from the 90's and 00's. 

Arguing that the matte metallic pants in the modern era are fine because of how the NFL use to look 40+ years ago is a strange one to me. Didn't all teams have matte pants before the tech allowed teams to use shinier fabrics for their uniforms? Using that argument we could postulate that all teams should be using matte pants because that's how it's been for the majority of the NFL's history.

It just comes down to simple subjective preference and it seems a lot of us uniform nerds prefer the dazzle fabric over matte fabric. The only reason why Nike hasn't produced pants for every team with the dazzle fabric is because the NFL just doesn't care enough about it (outside of a few teams like the Raiders and Cowboys) and I imagine it's more cost effective for Nike to use the matte fabrics instead. 

• Like 5

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

20 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

If I recall correctly, it was at this exact moment (first Color Rush game ever) that football uniform trends began to go downhill. 

Maybe for the NFL but the college game had been going downhill for easily a decade before this game

• Like 4

just to dive into the jets thing:

starter was their supplier when they originally switched to the fauxback and they looked awesome. nike had it two years later, and again, did a great job. when reebok got it, the templates really started to change and it got sketchy  on certain position cuts right around the mid-00's. and nike's second foray was a mess, mostly because of all the mismatched greens because of the difference in fabric. that jets look isn't really viable anymore because with the current tailoring, UCLA-style stripes are a headache. all they need to do is go to a modernized version of the sacks exchange set, or just take some of the dumb elements off their current set and add some traditional striping and they're good to go.

• Like 6

sig2024.png

I mean, that famous painting has the Rams in matte pants.

Generally speaking, the shiny pants look better to me. Just like how i prefer x over y on anything. Just like how shiny helmets are better than the matte ones in baseball too.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Shiny pants only look good for certain teams. The Steelers looked bad in shiny pants compared to when they wear matte.

Steelers' Modern Era Greatest Hits: Willie Parker's 200 Yard Game - Steelers  Depot

The Saints looked way better with the shiny gold pants back then, but now they have a weaker look in the matte fabric.

Pittsburgh Steelers History vs the New Orleans Saints

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

The Saints looked way better with the shiny gold pants back then, but now they have a weaker look in the matte fabric.

Pittsburgh Steelers History vs the New Orleans Saints

It doesn't help that the Saints' shade of gold is exceptionally drab and lifeless

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

It tears me up that the Saints can't commit to the old brassy metallic gold across the board. Enough of the beige/champagne/Vegas gold mix when that original shade was so good.

• Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I get enjoyment out of how much the Saints have defecated on their identity. 

Falcons taking steps in right direction with black-over-white, white-over-black, tossing gradient in the trash, three throwback games. 

Saints elect to wear leotards home and away, pretend their "gold" pants don't exist, bastardized their only good uniform with helmets that look like a pop warner team would wear, and the white pants with the home jerseys might be the worst of them all. 

Sad! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Falcons taking steps in right direction with black-over-white, white-over-black, tossing gradient in the trash, three throwback games. 

Eh, the Falcons seemed to prefer the all-black look again last season. Black on white was only worn for 2/9 home games.

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Saints elect to wear leotards home and away, pretend their "gold" pants don't exist, bastardized their only good uniform with helmets that look like a pop warner team would wear, and the white pants with the home jerseys might be the worst of them all. 

Sad! 

I laughed not AT your comment, but WITH your comment.😁

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Sad! 

How dare the Saints forget about gold pants (except from 1975-1985).

• Like 3

Metallic helmets sort of force matching pants, though, don't they? I can't think of a case where deviating from that match was an improvement: 49ers and Saints were worse, all-white Raiders were worse, Buccaneers were worse but at its best that set still isn't good.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

How dare the Saints forget about gold pants (except from 1975-1985).

At least the black pants they wore then had stripes. 

They need to design a new set around their color rush look. Bengals did that and it is one of the best in the league. Change all gold elements to that bolder shade. Wear the same striping pattern - whatever it may be - on all three pairs of pants. Keep it simple and let the colors speak for themselves. And, as much as I know I’m tilting at windmills here, a pair of black-gold striped socks would do wonders. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

34 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

They need to design a new set around their color rush look. Bengals did that and it is one of the best in the league. Change all gold elements to that bolder shade. Wear the same striping pattern - whatever it may be - on all three pairs of pants. Keep it simple and let the colors speak for themselves. And, as much as I know I’m tilting at windmills here, a pair of black-gold striped socks would do wonders. 

They just need to steal the socks from the Rockford Rivets
tEhis9k.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

So their Throwbacks?

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 3

da0Lbhs.png

On 7/5/2023 at 6:19 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Counter-point: both uniforms would be vastly improved with the shiny metallic pants from the 90's and 00's. 

Arguing that the matte metallic pants in the modern era are fine because of how the NFL use to look 40+ years ago is a strange one to me. Didn't all teams have matte pants before the tech allowed teams to use shinier fabrics for their uniforms? Using that argument we could postulate that all teams should be using matte pants because that's how it's been for the majority of the NFL's history.

It just comes down to simple subjective preference and it seems a lot of us uniform nerds prefer the dazzle fabric over matte fabric. The only reason why Nike hasn't produced pants for every team with the dazzle fabric is because the NFL just doesn't care enough about it (outside of a few teams like the Raiders and Cowboys) and I imagine it's more cost effective for Nike to use the matte fabrics instead. 

Many of you have missed my point entirely.

Sitting in Mom’s basement :censored:ting all over Nike because they “can’t make historically accurate dazzle pants” is ridiculous when the pants weren’t always shiny.

That’s it.  That’s my point.  

It’s perfectly okay if you prefer dazzle fabrics.  1000% support your ability to have that opinion.

But that doesn’t mean you are being accurate or truthful when spew venom at the manufacturer as being inept, or somehow inferior to manufacturers that are, in fact, inferior.

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Many of you have missed my point entirely.

Sitting in Mom’s basement :censored:ting all over Nike because they “can’t make historically accurate dazzle pants” is ridiculous when the pants weren’t always shiny.

That’s it.  That’s my point.  

It’s perfectly okay if you prefer dazzle fabrics.  1000% support your ability to have that opinion.

But that doesn’t mean you are being accurate or truthful when spew venom at the manufacturer as being inept, or somehow inferior to manufacturers that are, in fact, inferior.

It's tough to argue that we've missed your point when you pull out the 'that's just your opinion that you can't defend' vibe. It's also tough to think you could actually defend a point by pulling out the 'sitting in mommy's basement' tripe.

Hey @tBBP can I borrow a couple of rusty Lincolns here?

Edited by Sec19Row53
effing apostrophe doesn't belong
  • Like 12

It's where I sit.