NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

Just now, Jimmy! said:

Wasn’t the Bengals color scheme originally an AFL eff you from Paul Brown?

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

To add, the Bengals and Browns colors are purposely alike

6uXNWAo.png

44 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Can the Texans be brighter blue and red?

18 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Texans could even do a UCF/space blue as a reference to Houston.

But that would make too much sense.

They've been hinting at it with a red primary next year. And those H-Town shirt. And the black one with the modified colors. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:08 AM, henburg said:

I think it would be better for Washington to stick with Commanders at this point, feels like a really big ask to get the public to remember and commit to a new nickname for the 3rd time. The name "Commanders" has never really been the issue anyway, it's really just the uniforms that make it stink. I could get on a board with a visual rebrand that commits more to the visual tradition of the team, but the name is not unsalvageable. 

Not really sure about this one. The name itself got as much pushback as the horrible uniforms did: Commies, Mandies, broad aversion to The Troops pandering, the clumsiness of "Washington Commanders." About the only thing people said wasn't bad was the W logo.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Not really sure about this one. The name itself got as much pushback as the horrible uniforms did: Commies, Mandies, broad aversion to The Troops pandering, the clumsiness of "Washington Commanders." About the only thing people said wasn't bad was the W logo.

More importantly - it was a Dan Snyder idea. Anything that came from him would be thoroughly rejected by the fans. If you want to wash away the stink of Snyder completely, the name has to go too.

Also, that Oilers throwback is really ruined by not moving the TV numbers to the shoulders. Consistent stripes should be consistent widths if you want to do them right.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Tennessee doesn't deserve the Oilers identity after changing their name, uniform and all likeness to the Oilers brand, having evolved into a team whose primary colors are now navy and silver.

Also, nothing's stopping the Texans from doing this:

Fgr6WXPVsAEW8Pf?format=png&name=large

D3cTPPxWwAA0oj1.jpg

I could actually root for the Texans if that were to happen. 

• Like 3

Also, in addition to the bad name and bad uniforms, there was this bad, bad logo:

Washington Commanders Logo Alternate Logo (2022-Pres) - The Washington Commanders alternate roundel logo shows a burgundy, white, and gold circle presented as a coat, seal, or badge. In one quadrant is the Commanders primary W logo in white, opposite that are three white stars representing the DC, Maryland, Virgina region. The establishment date of the original Boston Redskins 1932 is in burgundy on white with the club wordmark across in white. Outside this seal is WASHINGTON FOOTBALL arched above with the calendar years in which the franchise had previously won a title 1937, 1942, 1983, 1988, 1992 below. SportsLogos.Net

If I didn't know better I'd say this was designed to induce yet another name change.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that the back and forth on who the Oilers identity rightfully belongs to is not very productive. In an ideal world, maybe the Oilers stay in Houston and maintain this set forever and the Titans are the expansion franchise, but that is not the world that we live in, and it's been nearly 30 years since all of that happened. Don't get me wrong, the Titans deserve scrutiny for hiding this look for so long and letting the identity stray to where it currently is with navy blue and silver being the dominant colors in the current set, but it's not as if the connection is just now being brought up out of nowhere. Significant numbers of Oilers fans became Titans fans when they moved to Nashville and have maintained that allegiance since, the team has been hosting "Homecoming" games for Oilers players and coaches for years, and the merch has been popular here for a long time before now. Prominent Oilers like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson have also aligned themselves with the Titans organization over the Texans. I get that the relationship will never be the same with this identity as it was in Houston, but it's far from baseless.

• Like 3

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

I 100% believe that's a bogus rumor someone on the boards pulled out of their ass and CCSLC geeks ran with.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/houston-oilers-throwbacks-titans-texans-18088911.php

"The franchise changed its name to the Titans prior to the 1999 season, but still owns the rights to all things pertaining to the Oilers." 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, raz said:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/houston-oilers-throwbacks-titans-texans-18088911.php

"The franchise changed its name to the Titans prior to the 1999 season, but still owns the rights to all things pertaining to the Oilers." 

*clicks article*

Ya. We know. The current Titans own the rights to the Oilers name and logo. But they don't own colors. Lmk when someone buys or owns a color and can restrict the use of it.

6uXNWAo.png

"[Amy Adams] Strunk’s family does [own] the Oilers logos, uniforms, and colors..."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/houston-oilers-texans-uniforms/

Maybe they got it wrong, but companies can trademark colors and prevent other companies within the same business from using them. 

Titans/Strunk may let the Texans use the colors, but can probably stop them too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy! said:

Wasn’t the Bengals color scheme originally an AFL eff you from Paul Brown?

Not really.

Paul Brown went to Massillon Washington High School.  Who are the Tigers.  Whose colors were black and orange. His first real job as a HC was at Massillon coaching those Tigers (and were extremely successful).

He then coached at Ohio State (successful), and then was hired for the Cleveland team in the AAFC (also incredibly successful). The fans wanted the team to be the Browns. He didn't want it. They chose the name Panthers, but a previous Cleveland team had the name and didn't want to give up the name to the new team. So, went back and took the name Browns as long as the team didn't admit it was for him (named for Joe Louis, officially, the Brown Bomber, professional boxer).

The colors, though, were entirely up to him. He liked Bowling Green's use of orange and brown as opposed to orange and black. The reason? Because the brown jersey hides the ball better. Also, the reason he went with, eventually, switching to orange shells for helmets was so the QB could see his receivers downfield better. Though the Browns color scheme hearkens back to the Massillon look, it was entirely utilitarian. It served a purpose on the football field.

Though he always liked orange and black or orange and brown. So, after Modell fired him and he started the Cincinnati team, it was only natural he choose Orange and the color that the Browns werent: Black. Also went with the tiger motif from Massillon. He also, once again, wanted plain orange helmets but the league refused, so they put the "BENGALS" on the helmet in plain print to be different than the Browns.

Made Browns/Bengals games a pain to watch. But the other 12 games a year his goal of 'QB sees the helmets better' still work.

In the end, Bengals are black and orange with a tiger motif because of Massillon. Browns are brown and orange because of Bowling Green at their roots.

Also, Brown started the whole "Messenger Guard" system of using the lineman to relay the play to the QB for faster playcalling, and also experimented with the first radioset in the helmet for the QB.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

*clicks article*

Ya. We know. The current Titans own the rights to the Oilers name and logo. But they don't own colors. Lmk when someone buys or owns a color and can restrict the use of it.

Sure, I'll let you know. Trade dress is a part of trademark law that signifies the source of a product through its visual appearance, that can include color schemes.

The Texans wearing a color scheme specifically designed to make them look like the Oilers could create confusion in the NFL jersey sales market since the Titans still sell Oilers jerseys.

• Like 6

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

🤔

No.  It doesn't even require any thought to know why.

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, MDGP said:

The Texans wearing a color scheme specifically designed to make them look like the Oilers could create confusion in the NFL jersey sales market since the Titans still sell Oilers jerseys.

Yet this is probably what the issue is with their rebrand. Some kind of permission from the league?

It won't cause confusion if the Texans font is different enough!!!

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23