NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

13 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m not disappointed in these? They’re fine honestly. I think they’d look better with the standard white helmet (and blue facemask), but these aren’t bad by any measure IMO

F1fErEBagAIewSx?format=jpg&name=large

EDIT:

Wait… these things are TEXTURED??

F1fEfm0aIAAgHw-?format=jpg&name=large

I'm a sucker for racing stripes or as close to you can get on football jerseys so that's pretty good. The black helmet is less than ideal, would have rather seen the blue helmet return

The heather pattern is interesting to say the least...

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

19 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

The heather pattern is interesting to say the least...

sWnbZMy.png

XDm2Eop.png

I think it looks good as a helmet stripe, but not on the rest of the uniform. And I'd rather they go with black pants instead of blue if they're going for the "Night" look. I do like the shoulder stripes though. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've always liked the idea of the Colts wearing shoulder stripes in that fashion. In fact, this jersey has some serious similarities to a concept I have done: 

d944caab1b3addb20920e58c66cade2c.png?resize=400x0

The black helmet is so meh, especially b/c it just clearly feels like BFBS. 

The heathered jersey is really nice and is going to sell well, and we have to remind ourselves that's the biggest goal in all of this. Money talks. 

But I am sorry -- what in the world does "Those Indiana boys in those Indiana nights" mean? 😂

• Like 8

These are horrible. Completely unnecessary and feel like a big departure from the Colts brand by shoehorning in black. I know the last 8-10 years have seen an increase in bad uniform trends (Color Rush, lack of contrasting socks), but this feels like the next big step in changes to NFL uniforms. To this point, teams still operated within their set of home, away, alternates, and throwbacks. Alternates to this point have largely been color swaps of their primary uniforms, so despite being different colors, they still felt familiar and used the same helmet. This alternate has jumped the shark. This is the day when the NFL opened the flood gates and alternates are now fair game to create with an open canvas, for good or bad.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
  • Yawn 1

These are actually pretty cool. Glad they went this route instead of all black. I assume they didn't go with a Blue helmet since they have already worn one with their throwbacks recently.

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

These are horrible. Completely unnecessary and feel like a big departure from the Colts brand by shoehorning in black. I know the last 8-10 years have seen an increase in bad uniform trends (Color Rush, lack of contrasting socks), but this feels like the next big step in changes to NFL uniforms. To this point, teams still operated within their set of home, away, alternates, and throwbacks. Alternates to this point have largely been color swaps of their primary uniforms, so despite being different colors, they still felt familiar and used the same helmet. This alternate has jumped the shark. This is the day when the NFL opened the flood gates and alternates are now fair game to create with an open canvas, for good or bad.

To be fair, Washington's entire set being three different gimmicks is kind of where the flood gates opened. 

• Like 8

This look reminds me of what the Lions did. A helmet that looks so out of place and doesn't match the rest of the uniform. The socks or pants matching the helmets would help.

It's just so sad the NFL is allowing this to happen to its brand. A handful of solid throwbacks that will be worn for one game each (Bucs, Vikings, etc.) doesn't mean that football uniforms are trending in the right direction again overall. And who knows what kind of mess the Broncos have put together for next week.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

To be fair, Washington's entire set being three different gimmicks is kind of where the flood gates opened. 

I view that situation a bit differently since they had to recreate their entire brand from the ground up. Doesn’t mean the Commanders executed it well, but I can see how it happened. No excuse for the Colts here.

• Like 1

Lifelong Colts fan here, and who knows, I might be going through the five stages of grief?

Black? On a Colts uniform? What type of sacrilege is happening here?

However, the racing stripes do work (because it is Indiana) and the heather pattern are interesting.

But, if any team does not need an alternate uniform, it's the Colts! The home and away sets are the definition of classic and timeless, and they are just now toying around with the Colts identity.

Full disclosure: I just saw this uniform five minutes ago, so I'm still letting my emotions process.

• Like 4

rAUPGPZ.png

I think it's a pretty good uniform, but it feels like one of those apparel-only designs made its way into an on-field uniform. I like the heathered pattern, the racing stripe, and even the limited use of black.

I think a better helmet option would have been blue with white decals outlined in black, to match the numbers, but trying to match a blue helmet to the pattern color on the jersey may have been difficult. They could have even done what the Cowboys did and double-dipped to use blue helmets with their throwback as well.

• Like 2

Even a blue helmet in the satin style like Georgia State has, with a black facemask, would make this a really awesome alternate. The entire black shell just feels forced, like they just had to join the club with all the other dumb teams like Arizona, Philly, Carolina, New Orleans, etc.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

This look reminds me of what the Lions did. A helmet that looks so out of place and doesn't match the rest of the uniform. The socks or pants matching the helmets would help.

It's just so sad the NFL is allowing this to happen to its brand. A handful of solid throwbacks that will be worn for one game each (Bucs, Vikings, etc.) doesn't mean that football uniforms are trending in the right direction again overall. And who knows what kind of mess the Broncos have put together for next week.

This is what I was worried about with the new alternate helmet rule. Sure you’ll get great throwbacks but teams (Colts, Saints, Bears, Lions, Texans, Jets, Commanders) will create unnecessary helmet colors that do more harm than good. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

Never forget all of this was made possible by adding black to the color scheme by making the radical change to their away uniform. Damn you black swoosh.

spacer.png

omg, idk how it never occurred to me this is precisely why that happened -- and this is also why Washington has black in its road uniform. The NFL's incredibly ad hoc uniform rules are creating unintended consequences. 

• Like 2

Beating the dead horse: The black trim sucks. The colts should not be wearing black. Who still thinks making stuff black is cool? This is low rent college and high school stuff.

A blue helmet with a double stripe would have been awesome and I wouldn’t even mind the monochrome because it would have been intentionally done as a one-off alternate, separate, but obviously related to the regular uniforms.  Bonus: a blue helmet could have been worn with the throwback back uniforms. It’s not hard. Why is it so difficult and who is the black for?

• Like 9

Just now, 8BW14 said:

Beating the dead horse: The black trim sucks. The colts should not be wearing black. Who still thinks making stuff black is cool? This is low rent college and high school stuff.

A blue helmet with a double stripe would have been awesome and I wouldn’t even mind the monochrome because it would have been intentionally done as a one-off alternate, separate, but obviously related to the regular uniforms.  Bonus: a blue helmet could have been worn with the throwback back uniforms. It’s not hard. Why is it so difficult and who is the black for?

for the people who say "nah these go too hard" whenever anything new is released, regardless of whether it looks good or not. 

• Like 4