2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Phillies fans decided they're going to give Trea Turner rousing ovations and ("let's go Trea! chants) from now on and show support for him rather than getting all over his case, with the other players wearing Trea shirts and getting the fans into it.  So far, seems to be helping!  Apparently his mother cried when she saw it because she knows how much it's been killing him that he sucks (and according to him, she booed him too).  It sounds almost like a playoff game whenever his bat even touches the ball now (which admittedly is still not very often.)

Not sure how I'd take this as a player.  There's part of it that's sarcastic and patronizing - like a pat on the head and a "you tried your best!" cheer.  There's also a part that's "hey, booing them and telling them to F their mothers for the past 100 years isn't helping, so let's try something new and let him know it's OK to fail and maybe he'll succeed".  Same thing happened with Alec Bohm last year after he was caught on camera saying "I F-ing hate this place" while getting booed after an error.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This escalated quickly.  Let the record show that I never doubted him and had his back the whole time.

• Eyeroll 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the if every team was like the Orioles and  suspended a jabroni indefinitely for simply reciting facts - in a professional way - with panned on-screen graphics to support them - the Pillies would have their announcers publicly hanged in front of City Hall with a firing squad to finish the job.  Perfect example of the difference between places.  Can't imagine any other team suspending an announcer for commenting on the actual performance of the team without even editorializing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

A lot of us were happy for the Orioles and the season they were having. But what they did to Kevin Brown is wrong and really REALLY messed up. I first caught wind of the story and watched the clip a couple times over to see where the slur was or what he said go get suspended. Not only was there nothing wrong with what he said, he freaking complimented the 2023 team!!! To hell with O's cowardly owner and management. No interest seeing them succeed anymore. Their storybook season now completely overshadowed.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

The Yankees fired announcer Red Barber in 1966 for commenting on a late-season Yankee Stadium crowd that numbered in the hundreds.

(But don't feel too bad. Barber, while a legendary talent, was an ornery coot, and one who gave Phil Rizzuto agita. The Scooter spoke ill of only two people in his life: Eddie Stanky and Red Barber. So it's all for the best, as Rizzuto was able to shine in the booth only after the removal of Barber.)

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

AAA Umpire Lew Williams was called up today to fill in at first base during the Nationals vs Phillies double header.

In his first major-league game, he had not one... not two... but three calls overturned, including two that weren't even a little close.   In fact, after he mistakenly called Castellanos out running to first, the then immediately mistakenly called him out on a pickoff attempt.  So he botched two calls in a row on the same guy.

It's pretty safe to say he'll never get called back to the big leagues.  I'm not sure if they keep stats on number of calls an umpire has overturned, but three in one game - let alone your first game - has to be a record.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38158660/umpire-nationals-phillies-game-three-calls-overturned

Congratulations, Orioles...y'all just blew a 3-run one-out lead in the 9th off a grand slam given up by your gargantuan reliever... 🤦🏿🤦🏿🤦🏿

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

AAA Umpire Lew Williams was called up today to fill in at first base during the Nationals vs Phillies double header.

In his first major-league game, he had not one... not two... but three calls overturned, including two that weren't even a little close.   In fact, after he mistakenly called Castellanos out running to first, the then immediately mistakenly called him out on a pickoff attempt.  So he botched two calls in a row on the same guy.

It's pretty safe to say he'll never get called back to the big leagues.  I'm not sure if they keep stats on number of calls an umpire has overturned, but three in one game - let alone your first game - has to be a record.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38158660/umpire-nationals-phillies-game-three-calls-overturned

Sure he will.  Someone will have to replace Angel Hernandez when he's either fired or retired.

After being completely atrocious and dropped to eighth  in the order, Trea Turner has at least a hit in all 6 games since the fans decided to get behind him, including 5 extra-base hits and a HR so far (and no errors.)  He's actually batting leadoff tonight, and lead off with a hit.

If this is real and not just a fluke, the Phillies could have a chance this year despite disappointing starting pitching.  They already have the second-best record in MLB since June 1 (unfortunately, the Braves are #1) and the overwhelming majority of their schedule is at home (not that it matters since they're just playing for WC seeding.)

10 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

The two teams that got no hit by the Astros last year.. they throw no hitters this year.

Yankees (German) and now the Phillies (Lorenzen).

I don't care what the record book says, I don't count a no hitter unless it's a complete game by one pitcher.  Other than that, it's just an interesting statistic.

Tonight's game featured:

1. Wesley Wilson HR in his first major league at bat (and his parents crying)

2.  Nick Castellanos HR 199 and 200 (with he and his kid exchanging gang signs)

3. Michael Lorenzen no-hitter with his mom and wife hysterical (I thought his mom was literally going to pass out at one point.)

One of the most emotional and incredible games I've watched in a very long time.  Lorenzen has been incredible since they got him at the deadline.  He may actually be their true #1 right now.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:41 PM, BBTV said:

After being completely atrocious and dropped to eighth  in the order, Trea Turner has at least a hit in all 6 games since the fans decided to get behind him, including 5 extra-base hits and a HR so far (and no errors.)  He's actually batting leadoff tonight, and lead off with a hit.

If this is real and not just a fluke, the Phillies could have a chance this year despite disappointing starting pitching.  They already have the second-best record in MLB since June 1 (unfortunately, the Braves are #1) and the overwhelming majority of their schedule is at home (not that it matters since they're just playing for WC seeding.)

And he did it again, with another HR, extending his hitting streak to 7, and batting (at some point during the game) .385 since getting a pat on the head, and Castellanos hit another HR.  Harper now has back spasms - not sure if related to trying to play the field again after so much time off, so that could be a big blow, but so far so good for what some are calling "taking the mid-west approach" to fandom.  Not sure how long it'll last, but for now, Phila is as easy to play in as St. Louis.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

And he did it again, with another HR, extending his hitting streak to 7, and batting (at some point during the game) .385 since getting a pat on the head, and Castellanos hit another HR.  Harper now has back spasms - not sure if related to trying to play the field again after so much time off, so that could be a big blow, but so far so good for what some are calling "taking the mid-west approach" to fandom.  Not sure how long it'll last, but for now, Phila is as easy to play in as St. Louis.

Wouldn't it be something if the "the worst everyday starting player ever" ended up being your team's MVP this year? 

• Applause 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, gosioux76 said:

Wouldn't it be something if the "the worst everyday starting player ever" ended up being your team's MVP this year? 

At this rate he'll be the World Series MVP.  Three more hits last night.  Not sure what Dallas Keuchel is doing on a major-league roster.

Also, this Luplow guy is awesome.  Had me cracking up in the stands.  Part of me feels bad for him that one of the Phillies took him yard while he was doing his Kimbrel impersonation, but I think that actually makes it funnier (and I think he'd agree.)